Comparison of Dacmagic and 840c as dac.
Feb 11, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may have mentioned earlier and I may have missed what equipment you use ahead of the Dacmagic.

someone asked me about a similar question in PM and here's part of my answer:

"I never had problems with its PRaT, never thought it sounds thin or bright as you might have read even with my slightly lean sounding Gilmore lite or my slightly bass shy K702."

hope that helps.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone asked me about a similar question in PM and here's part of my answer:

"I never had problems with its PRaT, never thought it sounds thin or bright as you might have read even with my slightly lean sounding Gilmore lite or my slightly bass shy K702."

hope that helps.

Sorry, I meant: from what source (transport, computer etc) is ur signal going to the Dacmagic.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #49 of 55
I personally felt the optical sounded better than the USB. I tried El Cielo by Dredg and Hell Freezes Over XRCD and I felt the sound was a bit more refined coming from Sony CDP -> Dacmagic vs Desktop w/foobar -> Dacmagic.

Not 100% sure though, I have to do some further tests to confirm this.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #50 of 55
Noob question for DacMagic users (and just optical users) - the Blue Jeans Cable optical cable I'm using is a little loose going into the DagMagic, i.e. the connection is not snug. It is still passing signal and is functioning, I just didn't know if this was typical of TOSlink connections or if I have an actual problem. I'll also go home and make sure I have it seated correctly
tongue_smile.gif

I'm running the DacMagic via optical out of my iMac using the BJC optical cable. I haven't tried via USB since the Mac has the optical out and I've heard somewhere that the DacMagic sounds better via the optical vs USB. I haven't tested it myself.

I just ordered a TEAC PD-H300mkIII cd player because it has an optical digital out and it's small enough to be part of my desktop system. Since the DacMagic has two digital inputs I can have the TEAC and the iMac hooked up. If I want to listen without booting up the Mac (or for critical listening when I don't want the hum of the Mac/Drobo drives in the background) I'll be able to use the TEAC as the transport. It will be interesting to compare the sound of the same disc in ALAC from the Mac vs the disc spinning in the TEAC...both running into the DacMagic. I read a negative review about the build quality of this TEAC player somewhere but I've owned many Tascam products in the past and had always heard that TEAC stuff had decent build quality. Heck, the thing was only $199 so it's worth the experiment! You can't find a portable cd player anymore (well, I can't) that has a digital out so this was the next best thing.

I don't know if this is a digression or not...just wanted to let you know how I'm using the DacMagic.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 55
I'm running a similar set-up, using an old Teac RW-H300 (bought more than a few years ago at a ridiculous close-out price...maybe $50.) as a transport with optical out into the DacMagic. This Teac is a Read/Write version using a PC CD transport of some unknown manufacture (Teac?..had it open once and cannot recall). I also need a small size transport for a nightstand and have had little choice. Looking forward to the Little Dot transport for this purpose. The SQ vs. the USB from my Dell Laptop is hard to discern using my Senn 650's. However, very respectable. One thing that I can unequivocally state is the the Benchmark USB is far superior to the DacMagic but at 3 times the cost one would expect this.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #54 of 55
Any current thoughts on the DACMagic vis a vis the 840c? Do we really think USB is enough of an issue to try optical or coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back