Comparison, HD-650 and D2000.
Apr 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
over in the amp thread a few people compared the d5000 with the 650s. would you say that the d2000s are at the level of the 650s and the d5000s are a little ahead? or is the difference between the two denons really small?

after can jam i shall be looking into a pair of new cans (again =/) and as much as i miss my 650s (nothing will ever replace them) i dont hear so much about the k701s these days. everyone is raving about a beta22 and either the d2000s or d5000s. is there anything to it? not saying that the 701s are bad...just that they arent as talked about these days as say, last year.

great work gurra!

I have not compared D2000 and D5000 side by side, so I can't really tell. The D2000 and HD650 is good at different things, but with HD650 there was never any true action, at least not on my setup. At my setup the D2000 showes more of the recording and makes different music sound more different. Often to the point that bad recordings are not a pleasure to listen to anymore, but good ones sounds even nicer.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

over in the amp thread a few people compared the d5000 with the 650s. would you say that the d2000s are at the level of the 650s and the d5000s are a little ahead? or is the difference between the two denons really small?

[size=medium]NO![/size] The D2000 are only at the level of the 650s if your source and amp aren't at the level of the 650s. I don't know what threads you've been reading, but that's hogwash. If you feed the 650s a cheap soundcard, or budget dac, and/or poorly matched (congested, tubey, dark) or insufficient (portable) amp, they might come close in sq, and the 2000s might even sound better, but that's about it. The D5000s are better than the D2000, but bring in a killer source and amp, they still can't touch the 650s in overall sound quality.

I haven't heard markl's mods, so if true what he says, there may be something there, but I've had and heard the D2000s (Moon Audio recable) in my own quiet home and with a selection of good sources, amps and tubes, and I've heard the D5000s a few times, balanced and single-ended, out of even better sources and amps. You can make an argument about preferences with the D5000s vs 650s, but not the D2000s.

You'll find this all out for yourself at CanJam. Come find me and I'll give you a personal 650 gear tour complete with aftermarket cable shootout.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

They're not better, or at the same level, but they're more closed
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The d5000s aren't in the same ballpark as the 650s either.

Nope, but I was trying to be nice, and at least I understand why people like them.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, but I was trying to be nice, and at least I understand why people like them.

Are D5000 really that better than D2000, even recabled one?

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #39 of 44
I am slowly starting to learn about high end audio but a lot of it really still boggles me hehehehe I mean I got the Denon 2000's and think they sound great, smoother then my HFI 780's which I also enjoy. But I read such detracting comments on both of them (not just detracting but loathsome) and my experience is not enough to argue any of the points. All I can say is hmmmm weird crap hahaha

I am eager to keep on progressing if that's what it is hehehe but I do like my headphones and enjoy them just the same. I got into this by accident. I bought a koss ksc 75 and was amazed at how good they sounded. Did a internet search and found this site and been addicted ever since.

damn expensive hobby though hahaha

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are D5000 really that better than D2000, even recabled one?

I thought they were a better headphone, mostly tone, and the bass wasn't as loose.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #41 of 44
The denons are very good for moderately priced closed headphones. That's apparently a tough area to succeed in. I prefer the early ATH woodies to them, but those are getting hard to find. New, they're winning pretty soundly.

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am slowly starting to learn about high end audio but a lot of it really still boggles me hehehehe I mean I got the Denon 2000's and think they sound great, smoother then my HFI 780's which I also enjoy. But I read such detracting comments on both of them (not just detracting but loathsome) and my experience is not enough to argue any of the points. All I can say is hmmmm weird crap hahaha

I am eager to keep on progressing if that's what it is hehehe but I do like my headphones and enjoy them just the same. I got into this by accident. I bought a koss ksc 75 and was amazed at how good they sounded. Did a internet search and found this site and been addicted ever since.

damn expensive hobby though hahaha

The Dx000 are GREAT, according to most reviewers and people who tries them, Here is a new review I found: DENON AH-D5000 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears What Boomana forgets in all of this is that it's all about personal preferences and that different ears picks upp sound different especially when listening to headphones, because the sice and shape of the ears and head make a bigger difference than with speakers, the sice of the head has a big inpact on the sound of D2000 if you have a big head you can be sure thet they will give much bass and if you have a small head there will be less bass because of less pressure, this might be due to a little bad design, I find beyerdynamic to be best here they have a speciall system that don't clamp much more if you have a big head.

And Boomana if you don't come along with the sound in the first place it's pretty confident that you will not like the D2000 on better systems eather. I used my HD650 with Rotel rcd-06 and x-can v3 if this is to much budget or crappy equipment for the HD650 then I think HD650 is of very bad design.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dx000 are GREAT, according to most reviewers and people who tries them, Here is a new review I found: DENON AH-D5000 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears What Boomana forgets in all of this is that it's all about personal preferences and that different ears picks upp sound different especially when listening to headphones, because the sice and shape of the ears and head make a bigger difference than with speakers, the sice of the head has a big inpact on the sound of D2000 if you have a big head you can be sure thet they will give much bass and if you have a small head there will be less bass because of less pressure, this might be due to a little bad design, I find beyerdynamic to be best here they have a speciall system that don't clamp much more if you have a big head.

And Boomana if you don't come along with the sound in the first place it's pretty confident that you will not like the D2000 on better systems eather. I used my HD650 with Rotel rcd-06 and x-can v3 if this is to much budget or crappy equipment for the HD650 then I think HD650 is of very bad design.

Gurra1980, I agree with you that it does come down to personal preference at the end of the day. I also think that the Denons are decent cans. There really aren't too many good closed cans on the market, and the Denons are as good or better than others that I've heard. Comparing them to the 650s or any other high-quality open can almost ends up being unfair to the Denons. The sq capability of the 6X0s, AD2000, or other, when driven well, is simply better. That doesn't mean you'll like them better. Heck, I liked my Darth Beyers more than a lot of open cans, even if I knew the others were really better cans when considering all the qualities (imaging, timbre, etc.). If you compared closed can to closed can, however, in the D2000 and D5000 price ranges, the Denons pretty much rule for what's currently available, as they do well with many amps, which is a nice advantage over choices like the W5000, etc. If markl's mods do as has been said, that would certainly bring them into a new playing field. I hope to hear that one day.

As for your gear, it's far from crappy, but I've heard the X-Cans 2 and 3 (the 2 was modded), and I really didn't like it much with the 650s as I thought it emphasized the "dark" tendencies of the 650s and did nothing to tighten up the bass. I don't think that the 650s being a bit picky with amps negates their quality, but it is something to consider when looking to buy.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #44 of 44
I guess the HD650 gets a lot better with good equipment but I have not heard very much difference with better gear my self when listening in HIFI-shops. I hear the difference more clear with my D2000, I guess it's all about that infamous now I'm saying it, veil
eek.gif
the D2000 does not have any veil and that makes me hear the changes more clearly, the timbre is simply better. And the impact of HD650 I don't think any neutral amp or source will make it as hard hitting as the denons. HD650 has a little bigger soundstage though and it's a little more vertical up and down. But the difference we hear might just as well be that our ears and brains decodes the signals different from analog to digital if I may say. Which one of our brains decodes the headphones more natural? Headphones are not natural, so the brain must do the maths it self, some of my friends don't hear any soundstage at all with any headphone while I that are used to HPs hear a very big stage and good imaging. Sennheisers diffusefield works perfektly for some and less for others, but I guess you now
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back