Comparison: Gilmore V2-SE, Headroom Max and Others
May 8, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by SteeleBlayde
And I'm preferably looking for something that can also handle AKG K1000s. (I plan to get these babies one day, before I lose my hearing from olfactory indulgence. )
biggrin.gif
I'm under the impression that all the amps I listed can handle them.

The K-1000 narrows the field a lot. So far, the AudioValve RKV is about the only current amp I've heard that can meet your needs. Otherwise, to drive it you're probably going to be looking at an integrated amp or a receiver. I'm using a restored Fisher 400, but have a strong preference for the RKV with the K-1000.

May 8, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 44
I think the ASL OTL32 would be a good jumping in point for you. It's excellent with the HD600/cardas and it's set up to drive the K-1000. I have not heard it with the K-1000 but it is great with the HD600.

May 8, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #34 of 44
Int. means it's got the pre-amp and amp integrated into one box instead of two. I don't think it's got a headphone jack on it (not sure) but if it doesn't it's not much good for your HD600's. Just the K-1000.

May 8, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #35 of 44
Sorry I guess I answered the question to your unedited version while you were changing it. I have not heard the Rkv, but would think it to be superior to the OTL32.

May 8, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #36 of 44
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
headamp is a small one-man operation, and this allows antness to keep it simple and keep support good. all of his amps are hand soldering by him, he does not have any of the gigantic multi-thousand dollar soldering ovens that i'm sure ray samuels and i know headroom have. this again, allows antness to keep prices down while keeping performance up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not intend to get into some kind of argument that will get no where. But I also like to clarify few things to the respected person who wrote
the above words that he should read the web site of Emmeline before he judges the quality of the workmanship. As it is
clearly stated that every unit is built & soldered by HAND with the highest MILITARY components & PC BRDS. Infact all resistors values are showing on the TOP & ALL resistors are FACING THE SAME SIDE so do the caps.
This is something that I do in my daily work as I work on military
designes. Even the solder that I use is with military specs.
If there is a short piece of wire in my design, it is also a military
one. I am not here to state any openion on Antness work. The
man has to make a living. & he deserve that. & it seems there
are many happy headfiers who enjoy his hard work. So please
keep this thread on the right track & make sure you state your openion in a very constructive way to help your fellow headfiers.
Ray Samuels

May 9, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #37 of 44
I changed the initial list on the first page....again.
rolleyes.gif

At the moment, I've narrowed it down to either the AudioValve RKV MKII or the ASL MG-Head OTL 32. Anyone have any ideas on which one is better?
tongue.gif

May 9, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #38 of 44
I really like my OTL32 alot.But It is probably not as nice as the RKV. However it's a whole lot cheaper than the RKV with the IMP. Which is what you'll need to drive all phones on the RKV. The OTL32 makes my senn hd600/cardas sound much better than my other two amps. You can get the OTL32 and the AKG K-1000 headphones for about the price of the RKV/ w imp.

May 9, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #39 of 44
Jan Meier has a sale on the RKV MKII for Headwize members (see his post on Headwize). The price is $870. I haven't heard the OTL32 so I can't comment on which amp is better, however I'm not sure if any impressions of the OTL32 with K1000 have been posted yet while the RKV has a great track record with the K1000.

-Justin

May 9, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #40 of 44
I've replaced the Max/Senn combo with my current AKG K1000/Bottlehead Paramour combo.

The K1000/Paramours are more forward than my former favorite Max/AKG 501 combo and miles more forward from the Max/Senn combo.
They're not as forward as the Grado RS-1, which I only heard once during the Headroom tour. You may want to listen to the RS-1 and see whether you like it or not (to me it was too forward).

I've been running this setup for more than six months and I'm still extremely happy with it. I haven't even considered trying out any other phones or amps in the meantime.

If you're interested, there's a review about the combo in the rewiew section of this forum.

May 11, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #41 of 44
i guess i might as well jump in here too.

i'm looking for an Amp to drive HD600's with cardas cable as well.

i mostly listen to classical, so i'd like something with great detail, and powerful dynamics.

i'm thinking about the Melos SHA-Gold, Gilmore V2 max, or Emmeline HR-2, and leaning towards the HR-2 right now. anyone know much about these with Classical music? specifically the SHA-Gold, which i haven't heard very much about. or if you know of something else for less than $1000, that would be cool.
thanks

May 11, 2003 at 1:22 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by dustinyo
i guess i might as well jump in here too.

i'm looking for an Amp to drive HD600's with cardas cable as well.

i mostly listen to classical, so i'd like something with great detail, and powerful dynamics.

i'm thinking about the Melos SHA-Gold, Gilmore V2 max, or Emmeline HR-2, and leaning towards the HR-2 right now. anyone know much about these with Classical music? specifically the SHA-Gold, which i haven't heard very much about. or if you know of something else for less than $1000, that would be cool.
thanks

I have the HR-2 and would highly recommend it. As with any quality amp a good source is really a must. Let me know if you want to know anything specific about the HR-2. I am sure you have read markl's review as well. My listening is with 600's and Cardas. Mark's review mirrors what I hear with mine. I have been very pleased.

May 11, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #43 of 44
Well, I cannot comment on too many of the amps you list. My reference it the Earmax which I enjoy very much. However, I am currently reviewing the Ray Sammuals for www.positive-feedback.com and my first impressions are postive. Solid, detailed and great soundstage and, I too, am using the Senn 600/Cadas combo...

If you can wait this review will posted in perhaps a month or so...

Thanks, jb

May 11, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

i'm thinking about the Melos SHA-Gold, Gilmore V2 max, or Emmeline HR-2, and leaning towards the HR-2 right now.

If you go Melos, try to find a "SHA-Gold Reference" or a Melos Maestro over the regular Gold. There are a million flavors of Melos, the Gold Reference and the Maestro have upgraded internal components over the Gold.

Obviously, though, I too reco the Emmeline HR-2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back