Comparison: Gilmore V2-SE, Headroom Max and Others
May 8, 2003 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

SteeleBlayde

1000+ Head-Fier
I've started this thread because the thread I was reading has turned into a discussion about naming policies. I'm not interested. What I am interested in is how these amps stack up against each other.

I'd also like to say that I've never owned a headphone amp, know very little about the topic and am looking for some advice and help in purchasing one for my Senn HD600s w/Cardas cables.

I was hoping someone could reflect on how the following amps stack up against each other. Ie. Pick the "best" one for HD600s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gilmore V2-SE
Sugden HeadMaster
Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2

ASL MG-Head OTL 32
Meier Audio AudioValve RKV MkII
EarMax Pro

I'm really looking for a muscle amp to power my cans and one that can bring the sound "up close" and reduce the laid-back-ness of the Senns. I'm under the impression that tubes do this better than solid state but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

May 8, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 44
As long as you are making a list I would add in the Emmeline HR-2 by Ray Samuels to the list. Seeing as how the Gilmore is so new the list of people who have heard all of the amps you list will be short. Give it a little time and I think there will be plenty of reviews.

May 8, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 44
A couple of other things to consider when reading reviews if the end goal is to buy an amp. First pay close attention to the complete setup. Listening to an amp with a $4,000 source if that is not what you have can be misleading. Another thing I try and do is to find reviewers that hear things the same way I do. This requires that you take a little time and audition equipment rather than buying the first thing that comes highly recommended. If you do a few searches there are some excellent reviews on some of the amps you mention, not always comparisons but good reviews none the less.

May 8, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 44
Grace 901?

Audio Valve RKV MkII with Impedanzer?

It's hard to know where to begin or end such a list. These amps are certainly no more expensive than a Max with stepped attenuators.

May 8, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 44
The Wheatfield HA-1 can be great with low-impedance headphones like Grado, but really isn't all that well suited to headphones like the HD600.

Never owned any of the others (though I've heard some), so I don't think it's worth it for me to comment on the rest.

May 8, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 44
I've had the Max/Senn combo for about two weeks. Worked fantastic on rock music. Incredible speed. Excellent bass.

Most of my listening is classical and jazz though and I opted for a different phone/amp combination.

May 8, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
I've had the Max/Senn combo for about two weeks.

Which max?
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

May 8, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Which max?
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

oh no! We're not starting that again!!!

wink.gif

May 8, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 44
I use the senn.hd600/w cardas cable and a headroom MOHR/stepped attn., meta42, and an ASL OTL32. The OTL32 makes the senn's sound the best to me. They seem to not sound as dark or distant through this amp as they do through the other two.

May 8, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by SteeleBlayde

I'm really looking for a muscle amp to power my cans and one that can bring the sound "up close" and reduce the laid-back-ness of the Senns. Thanks.

Cheap solution!
evil_smiley.gif

Lose the Senns!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Buy the Grado SR-325
biggrin.gif

MMMuHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2003 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 44
But seriously, if you want a more aggressive, "in your face", sound, why ARE you using the Senns. Low impedance cans like the grado SR (Same price range as the HD600) are easily powered by lesser sources and deliver "desert storm" aggression. A muscle amp may make them more aggressive but they definitely have a more forward presentation. Maybe the amp is not the solution...
...My 2 cents are free!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back