[Comparison] Beyerdynamic DT 150 vs DT 880 2003, a novice's comparison(w/ PICtures)
Dec 22, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #31 of 52
Hahaha sorry for bumping the old thread, was just reading an amazon review of the same cans, funny when I suddenly realized it was denl82s own review
biggrin.gif

Anyway, you and another user have convinced me. I'm probably buying a pair of these babies
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm also a big fan of electronic music, and we are completely dependent on a round and warm sound with a nice correlation between bass and mid. That's how I feel anyway, and you seem to agree. ^^

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by partysnatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha sorry for bumping the old thread, was just reading an amazon review of the same cans, funny when I suddenly realized it was denl82s own review
biggrin.gif

Anyway, you and another user have convinced me. I'm probably buying a pair of these babies
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm also a big fan of electronic music, and we are completely dependent on a round and warm sound with a nice correlation between bass and mid. That's how I feel anyway, and you seem to agree. ^^

dont do it!!, i listen to trance most of the time and the dt150 isnt the best for it, the proline750 wipes the floor with these in virtually every aspect (apart from comfort) for critical listening and for pleasure. the dt150 has way too much bass, mine have over 50hours burn in and its better than it was initially but its not balanced at all.
the bass overpowers detail you hear with brighter phones and with some bass heavy electronic songs its overwhelming and not a true representation of what the song is supposed to sound like. its more akin to a consumer hifi listening phone but without the boosted highs, some people may like that but i want to eq in the amount of bass i want. apart from that the sound is ok and above what yould expect but its not as good as what people here are making it out to be. yes its maybe under appreciated but if it was that good a phone and clear and balanced it would cost alot more.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont do it!!, i listen to trance most of the time and the dt150 isnt the best for it, the proline750 wipes the floor with these in virtually every aspect (apart from comfort) for critical listening and for pleasure. the dt150 has way too much bass, mine have over 50hours burn in and its better than it was initially but its not balanced at all.
the bass overpowers detail you hear with brighter phones and with some bass heavy electronic songs its overwhelming and not a true representation of what the song is supposed to sound like. its more akin to a consumer hifi listening phone but without the boosted highs. apart from that the sound is ok and above what yould expect but its not as good as what people here are making it out to be. yes its maybe under appreciated but if it was that good a phone and clear and balanced it would cost alot more.

They sound bassier than the dt250-250's, then. One of these days I'll have to get my hands on one to be certain. The 250 has bass presence but it is always polite.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound bassier than the dt250-250's, then. One of these days I'll have to get my hands on one to be certain. The 250 has bass presence but it is always polite.

ive been A/B ing them with the prolines and they make the prolines seem basslight when you go back to them which theyre not, theyre just better balanced than the 150's.
i'll do a 150hour burn in before i make a final judgement but if its still as bassey as they are now then they going to be returned.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

ive been A/B ing them with the prolines and they make the prolines seem basslight when you go back to them which theyre not, theyre just better balanced than the 150's.
i'll do a 150hour burn in before i make a final judgement but if its still as bassey as they are now then they going to be returned.

These make the Ultrasone's seem basslight?
biggrin.gif
Ok, these Beyers are starting to get my attention. I'm putting these on my "To-Get" list. They really seem like good headphones.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #36 of 52
Hey=]
I also agree the the DT 150's bass isn't the best around, but all things considered, it's pretty good for me.

And I'm very interested to hear your burn-in experience with these 002. It's always good to hear varying views on a headphone.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #37 of 52
As a general reference point, here is how I rank the qualities of the k701, dt880, dt 150, and JVC Victor HP-M1000. Strictly speaking, this isn't an a/b of these headphones, but rather, a guide drawn up from mental notes I've kept as I experienced each headphone's sound. Hope this helps..

Bass Quality(speed, weight, tone/naturalness, detail, depth, enjoyability)

DT 150
DT 880
HP-M1000
K701

[size=x-small]The k701's bass has great depth, naturalness, and detail. What it lacks in weight, it makes up in speed. It also has a natural tone, capable of being "Twangy," "crunchy," and tuneful, giving character to bass.

The HP-M1000 is the basshead's pot of goal. It has great impact, yet can sound thoroughly airy at once, as if you can put your hands through it unimpeded. Deep and heavy bass notes also have a nice, subtle "softness" to it, instead of sounding rubbery and flabby. But the most remarkable part of the M1000's bass is its speed, both in how quickly notes start and end, and how quickly the M1000 can change from one bass range to another. In one word? Fast. The HP-M1000 also has the deepest bass of all 4 headphones - "nice and easy."

The DT 880 strikes a balance for the non-basshead bass lover. Its bass has great detail, yet can sound pretty awesome with a thumping track. It also can change from one region of the bass range to another quickly, but what strikes me the most is how well the bass integrates with the rest of the whole FR.

The DT 150 strikes a balance for the bonefied basshead lover who also appreciates the other qualities of music, as described in the OP.[/size]

Vocals(naturalness, detail, presence)
K701
DT 880
DT 150
HP-M1000

For those that don't know, the K701's vocals are uncanny. They can sound luscious and very soft on your eardrums, and also has the "biggest" size of all the headphones here. They are also very detailed.

When I first compared the K701 to the DT 880, the DT 880's vocals seemed to take steps back into the music, but only relatively so. With the right track, the DT 880's vocals are sweet and are also very detailed.

The DT 150's vocals shine not due to the fact that it can sound soft or hi-end, but it can remain very afloat under lots of action. Imo its quality is about 1.2 notches below the DT 880's in naturalness and detail(I a/b'd the two).

The HP-M1000 vocals really depends on where the headphone is placed on the head. With the headphone pushed forward, you gain more bass, less vocals, and vice-versa. Overall, a decent performance.

Highs(Presence, weight, naturalness/detail, extension, and speed).
DT 880s
K701
DT 150
HP-M1000

A very close race here amongst these 4, but each has their own unique abilities. The DT 880(05s) win due to the fact that it extends really highly, really quickly. Also, after months of having them, there was ABSOLUTELY no harshness to be seen. The same tracks that literally made me go "squeeze your ears yo" sounded nothing but sparkly at the end of my experience with the DT 880's.

At 220 hours of playback(conventional and burn-in combined), the K701 ran ahead of the DT 880's in detail, but fell short of it in extension. According to Asr's burn-in review, the K701 needs plenty of burn-in for the highs to reach its potential.

The DT 150 also extends highly, has great detail, but doesn't have the refinement the DT 880s highs display(I a/b'd the two). It also has less sparkle than the DT 880's.

The HP-M1000 has good sparkle and extension, which is all my memory will allow me to say atm
wink_face.gif
Where's that fish oil when I need it!

Soundstage(weight, size, naturalness)
DT 150
DT 880
K701
HP-M1000

The DT 150's wins in all three categories. O.K. O.K. I'll explain. It has a very big soundstage, closed can or not. It has a nice "weighty" feeling to it. And with the right track, the DT 150's can sound stunningly speaker-like. I mean like, "whoa, let me just LISTEN to this man, this is amazing!!!!"

The DT 880s soundstage is very natural, and also with the right track, can make me think "I would pay double the going price of this can to hear things like this forever." But as mentioned in the OP, the DT 880's soundstage has an airy softness going on. Whereas the DT 150's soundstage can sound speaker-like(for a headphone that is), the DT 880's music sound as if you're at the performance; the DT 150's make me go "wow" cuz in the back of my head, I'm like "a headphone can really do that?" The DT 880's on the other hand, are so natural that there is no "am I really hearing what I'm hearing?"

The HP-M1000 soundstage size is small compared to the others', but it has good imaging(great for gaming), and is pretty 3d in two ways. First, the M1000 throws up a spherical soundstage instead of a left-right-back-front one(can positioning plays a role here too), and the sound of musical instruments also have a rounder "appearance," instead of being flat-sounding.
These qualities are relative to the headphones mentioned above, IME.

Comfort
DT 880s(easily)
DT 150
k701
HP-M1000

Within 30 seconds of putting them on, I literally forget I'm wearing the DT 880s.

Within 1 or two minutes, I forget the DT 150s are on.

Within an hour or so, the k701's middle headband bump says, "yo, remember me?"
redface.gif

The HP-M1000 can be more comfy, all things considered.

So there ya go folks, all IME!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

the bass overpowers detail you hear with brighter phones and with some bass heavy electronic songs its overwhelming and not a true representation of what the song is supposed to sound like. its more akin to a consumer hifi listening phone but without the boosted highs, some people may like that but i want to eq in the amount of bass i want. apart from that the sound is ok and above what yould expect but its not as good as what people here are making it out to be. yes its maybe under appreciated but if it was that good a phone and clear and balanced it would cost alot more.

What is your amp, and your source?
Both can make or break the DT150....
With a good CD player and amplifier, the bass is not overwhelming.
To my ears, the DT150 bass has more quality, and is better integrated than the Denon D2000, Kenwood KH-K1000 and Beyer DT770 pro bass, to name a few.
Never heard any Ultrasone though.

Price has little to do with quality of headphones.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #39 of 52
The Proline 750 is one pair of headphones that I could never get a handle on based on impressions around here. They seem to the epitome of love/hate headphones. I would like to try them someday but with my DT 150's around I am in no rush.
smily_headphones1.gif
Would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts after more burn in 00264167.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 52
After two years of heavy use, my x-fi seems to have given up the ghost. And, as always, I'm eager to tell the story. It was a beautiful day, I walked away from my bank like "YES, I'VE FINALLY SAVED ENOUGH TO BY ME AN X-FI." As I finish the sentence, a man walks up to me and is like "mannnn, my house just got burned down...and I desperately need help." I'm like, man, I already know what God wants me to do.

Ya so, after a second chance to get an x-fi, I got it. Boy we had fun together, but I didn't know it was made to be one tough cookie[size=xx-small](imo The Lord's reward for my patient generosity)[/size], that is, until I woke up to the smell of electrical smoke coming from my comp. I later discovered that my x-fi was half-way out of the pci slot. The mobo went bye-bye, the x-fi stayed. After a few more technical botches and 2 years down the road, I guess my x-fi has seen enough. It was fun.

But yea, now I'm back to on-board audio. First thing to note is there is a lot less bass on the DT 150's. It's a lot more firm, too. But what's readily apparent is the extra tunefulness the bass has taken. It is also a LOT better proportioned/sized within the soundstage(again, as in smaller amount).

Conclusion, based on my experience with on-board audio and an av710 sound card vs my beloved x-fi? Less bass with the two former sources, but more tuneful and tight.

Ya, the DT 150s definitely respond to what it's being fed, even if its being fed by the modest stuff like what I have=] Atm, I'm really enjoyin the sound out of this on-board audio. Technically speaking, the integrated SC imparts a politically correct sound onto the DT 150s, vs the x-fi's bassy funness.

*edit* There just is this subtle cleanness to the whole sound now. I won't rule out placebo-ism, but imo there is this extra layer of detail to everything! Noooooooooiceeeeeee(does that even remotely sound Australian?
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 52
The lord smiles upon all of us, ok well not all of us, he is dissapointed in most of us, I think its time for another Ark, who's with me?

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lord smiles upon all of us, ok well not all of us, he is dissapointed in most of us, I think its time for another Ark, who's with me?

LoL I wish I was with ya. 4 years ago I was like CAN'T WAIT TO SHAKE YOUR HANDS IN HEAVEN GOD!!!!!

Nowadays I'm like I hope I don't burn too much in hell
redface.gif

But you're right, the elders often say, He Shines on us all, he rains on us ALL!!!!

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #43 of 52
denl82: Your comparison between the 880 and 150 is very insightful. I find myself agreeing with most of your points regarding each headphone. I also find that sometimes the 150 can really make you go 'Wow!' like no other. However, between the 2, I finally ended up with the 880 as it's not as picky with the source and music as the 150, not as dark-sounding (again, depending on the music), resolves details so very well and is a lot lighter and more comfortable.
That said, given the chance and the spare cash, I would love to get a pair of the 150s with a bright-ish amp.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #44 of 52
Hey yall
tongue.gif
Pics added thanks to Da Lord!!!

Ahh crapola, I forgot something...Pictures of the DT 880s! Well I don't have them on hand at the moment, so that was a no go. My bad.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #45 of 52
Good to see you back denl. I cant see the pics. It says "currently unavalible flikr"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back