[Comparison] Beyerdynamic DT 150 vs DT 880 2003, a novice's comparison(w/ PICtures)
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

denl82

Banned
Hi everyone=] This is a comparison of the DT 150 and the DT 880. Background information on each respective headphone can be found at sgheadphones and headphonereviews, and on this forum. For information on my musical preferences and headphone history, you can check my profile here. As always, what's said in this comparison reflects my opinions and observations, preferences, and even the distinct performance of these headphones in my setup.

My Setup is --> 128k mp3's --> Foobar 2000 -->bit-matched X-Fi Xtreme Music --> generic IC --> Pioneer VSX-305 in surround sound mode

redface.gif
[size=medium]Introduction!!![/size]

3154811124_cdb7c9de0e_o.jpg

I have to admit, I feel excited and blessed to compare another set of headphones. If there's one thing that comes along with the beautiful experience of hi-end audio, is our ability to "pick up" differences between different headphones, particularly with the help of head-fi, of course! I'll explain, by taking a little retrospective look at my headphone history. Discovering the rich offerings of internet radio for the first time in 2005, I oddly desired better audio reproduction from the equipment I used. Stumbling across head-fi and headphonereviews.org, it became apparent to me that headphones had some serious "business" to offer. Soundstage, that sounds like you're 25 "seats" from the stage? Bass, that sounds like a subwoofer on my head?? Details, the type that make you hear singers swallowing? O.K., I get it now, these are the descriptions of hi-end cans.

Mmmk, this was definitely an interesting world. The hi-end. And what could be more hi-end to a newb than the DT 880's? As the road of life took its path, my first audiophile grade headphone wounded up being the Grado SR-80 instead. Great headphones, but even better in hindsight, as they provided what I needed to understand what a soundstage was: a forward sound signature. My very next headphone was the DT 770/80's. That bass which sounded like subs around the ears? Ahh ok, I see!! Subwooferyyy. Setting my eyes back on the DT 880's, and of course with the Good Lord's "Green light," I snatched them. So this is balanced, wide-sounding, and most of all..hi-end!!

Yes, the hi-end. In the world of the hi-end, it is said that the only thing NOT to like about it, is what's not like YOU, or rather, what doesn't fit your liking, or preferences. As time passed by and my sonic preferences started to change, I felt a need for more bass presence than my DT 880'05s provided, but felt just an equal need to retain all of the DT 880's hi-end goodness. After selling the DT 880'05s and trying 2 more headphones that were good but ultimately didn't satisfy me enough, I was blessed with the opportunity to get the DT 150s for a very good price. Even though there was little buzz about them at that time, the DT 150's was almost universally viewed as hi-end...with bass suitable for a bass-head (and I am a bass-head - ahem, a hi-end one
biggrin.gif
). Never forgetting the Lord's suggestion of getting my Cousin a DT 880's, I seized the chance to get another one. Now, with the DT 880's and DT 150's both in hand, what better chance to use my brain's aural analytical abilities than by comparing hi-end to hi-end? One with bass, lots of it, and one that leans on the leaner side of things. Or is it really that simple? Given, the DT 880's on hand are of the previous generation than the 05's(the latter purportedly having a greater mid-bass hump), I will set out to see if this Beyerdynamic gem, the DT 150's, lives up to the DT 880's reputation!

[size=medium]The Sound![/size]
[size=small]The power of perception...[/size]

3154811146_95ce284845_o.jpg

Being thoroughly content with the oft said "mid-fi" DT 770's before my preferences changed, I had
VERY high expectations for the DT 880'05s. From the moment I put them on, they blew all my expectations away. Out of the box, they were extremely plush to my ears. But it was the sound that took my surprise even further. Anticipating lean bass from my new cans, particularly since the DT 770's WERE the bass cans, the DT 880's surprised me with relatively present bass enhanced by great detail. After that point, I knew that my expectations had great influence on how I percieved sound. keeping that in mind, I've spent some time exclusively with the DT 880's, just to relax my preconceptions of what should sound like what, and to appreciate something for what it is.

With that said, is the DT 880's a headphone I can live with if I had to choose just one?? YES!! On those grounds, I believe I can make a more balanced comparison. However, as a huge fan of electronic music, is it THE can I would like to live with? I'll break down what decides that, with how these headphones perform in each frequency range, followed by their soundstages, and finally, what seems to be the better all-arounder.

[size=small]And the Lows of electronic bass...[/size]

3153973493_7fab539443_o.jpg

I admire the DT 880's bass. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be "detailed." The sheer amount of detail is probably the reason why this can's bass can sound powerful with the right recording, despite not having a lot of physical impact. And even though there is some impact, the bass is more of the "hear-me-roar" type than the "feel-me-roar," which lends to an unfatigued listening. Does this decrease the fun, however? Not necessarily, as the DT 880's bass does well playing the "hear-me" role. With songs that have big bass, the size of the bass-lines increase in the soundstage accordingly, so the DT 880's bass response is definitely accurate in that respect. However, the bass remains relatively light in density, so even though the DT 880's can play bass notes quickly, it doesn't come across as fast compared to say, the JVC HP-M1000(IIRC),
which can move along heftier bass just as quickly.

The DT 150's bass is more dense and louder than the DT 880's, giving the former's bass-lines a life of their own in the soundstage. Where as the DT 880's bass blends in naturally with the rest of the sound, yet can be clearly spotted within the mix at the same time, the DT 150's bass definitely says, "Here I am, rocking out!!" Is this a bad thing? Depends on your tastes, of course. And even though the DT 150's bass takes a life of its own because of a more conspicuous presence, the DT 880's bass also takes a life of its on. How? Compared to the DT 150's bass, the DT 880's seem more responsive to note changes, like a modern cpu capable of handling a million processes at a time, compared to an outdated cpu facing the same challenge. I would call the DT 880's bass then, adept. But while the DT 880's bass response seems more flexible, another thing that separates its bass from the DT 150's is the DT 880's bass tautness. There is this outer layer of firmness on low bass-notes. The same bass-notes on the DT 150's have more substance, giving it a relatively softer feeling. Which headphone has the more accurate bass? To be honest, sonic reproduction accuracy depends on the listener and genre.

[size=small]With vocals in the MiDsdle...[/size]

3153973521_d835cb8cb5_o.jpg

In music like liquid funk, vocals often lie in the middle of strong bass-lines and fast-beat instrumentals. With the DT 880's integrated bass response, vocals shine throughout with detail and smoothness, and always remain very present. The big question is, can the DT 150's do the same, even with their big bass response? Yes they can! But in a different way, one that works nonetheless. In one drum and bass song featuring the male R&B singer Shaheim, the DT 880's has the singer well-placed in the middle of the soundstage, with the other instruments surrounding him with plenty of space and air. His voice is sweet and transparent. Switching to the DT 150's reveals a louder presentation. The bass is louder, so to accommodate this, Shaheim's voice is louder too. I think this leads to a less airy, thicker vocal presentation than on the DT 880's.

In another drum and bass song featuring the female vocalist Tali, the loudness of the DT 150's vocals makes Tali sound much more present than on the DT 880's. I guess the airiness of the DT 880's vocals works against this 'phone this time, coming across as too "soft." I've tried another female vocals D&B song, and the same qualities were present. The singer sounded louder on the DT 150's, softer on the DT 880's. But what about the details? In the song featuring Shaheim, the DT 880's took the lead in presenting his voice in a more refined and natural manner. But with the DT 150's strong vocals performance, along with a totally powerful bass, it's easy to choose...

[size=small]And the ride to the sparkly top...[/size]

3154811194_3da78028fd_o.jpg

OK, the top isn't equally sparkly for both headphones. But at this level of headphoning, neither headphones disappoint. Where as the DT 880's bass took the "hear-me" position in sound, the DT 150's highs seem to prefer that spot this time around. Things like cymbals have a nice touch of sparkliness in the DT 150's, but this sparkliness is rather kept "some place" in the soundstage. On the other hand, the DT 880's have an almost tangible presence to hi-frequency sounds. The DT 880's also has a more focused hi-end, where as the DT 150's hi-end FR seems a bit splashy at times. Like the mids, the DT 880's highs seem more natural compared to the DT 150's. Both headphones are great for those who avoid harsh highs. Even though I haven't tried a wide range of songs with the DT 880's yet, so far I've experienced no sibilance or harshness from them. Both treble responses of these headphones are pretty detailed, but the DT 880's highs seems sweeter.

[size=small]Placing it all together...[/size]

3154811208_15aaaff2ea_o.jpg

The soundstage, a component of sound that can make a headphone the real deal for me. The DT 880's are well-known for its soundstage: large, airy, and having great depth. But the DT 150's are also known as being wide and airy, particularly considering their closed-back design. So what are the main differences between the two? The DT 880's soundstage has a diffused quality, sounding very natural by not being "forced." But this diffused quality is what leads the DT 150's soundstage to seem "louder," and as a result, the DT 150's soundstage has a thicker, more filled soundscape. The DT 880's soundstage - along with the help of forgettable earpads and a balanced, unobtrusive FR - just lets the music flow through you. The DT 150's though, they're a lot more attention-grabbing. When I switch from the DT 880's to the DT 150's, my instant reaction is "Whoa!" The soundscape is still wide, but the instruments have a LOT more presence...So with the right recording, there is a much more WoW factor. Yes, imo, the DT 150's has a better soundstage than the DT 880's! In a nutshell, the DT 880's sound is very natural and easy going, perfect for that lazy afternoon. The DT 150's sound? Wide, natural, even speaker-like, but awe-inspiring on top of it all.

[size=medium]And you get...?[/size] - [size=small]Conclusion[/size]

3153973547_eec1ea0af7_o.jpg

It's easy to strap on the DT 150's and just enjoy the music. No doubt, this is especially true with electronic; rap; hip hop and r&b; and other beat-driven, bass-laden genres. The soundstage of this can is wide and airy, but filled with body. I've also enjoyed the DT 150's more with rock than with the DT 880's. Is the DT 880's bad with rock music? Well, it is if you're looking for a livelier sound. But that's the thing, if the DT 880's weren't being compared to something more assertive sounding, they are perfect for picking apart music, due to its detailed and balanced signature; or just sitting back and relaxing to the sound. Also, the great comfort the DT 880's velour pads have reinforce the DT 880's relaxing nature. But that doesn't hold back the DT 150's from shining. Generally, I would say that the DT 880's is a fine can, but for my preferences, the more robust sound of the DT 150's make these my current favorite can to listen to!!

One smokin can...
3154811238_e5728e4b0c_o.jpg

Thank you for reading this thread, All Credit Goes To The Lord =D

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 52
Now im convinsed. Im buing the dt150 next friday. Thanx denl82.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 52
Great review, thanks man.
To my ears and with my gear, the DT150's bass doesn't have a life of it's own. Not in the way as is the case with the DT770/80 and D2000
With the DT150, I find the bass well integrated in the sound. And yes, the bass is full, well defined and tuneful. Giving my music (rock, pop and americana) a solid base and makes it toe-tapping.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, thanks man.

All The Lord=]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears and with my gear, the DT150's bass doesn't have a life of it's own. Not in the way as is the case with the DT770/80 and D2000 With the DT150, I find the bass well integrated in the sound. And yes, the bass is full, well defined and tuneful. Giving my music (rock, pop and americana) a solid base and makes it toe-tapping.

From what I recall, the DT 770's bass was also prominent. The difference with the DT 150's is that while the bass is big, it remains well proportioned to everything else in the music. But with my fav. music, drum and bass, which touts bass as THE sound to enjoy, the DT 150's definitely have no trouble bumping up the lower ranges.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 52
Smoking review Den! You know it's funny, i have the exact same reaction when i swap from the 240S to the DT 150, WHOA! I actually auditioned the 240S along with the DT 880 at a guitar center and preferred the sound of the 240S and thus bought them. I'll keep both of these for life. Going to recable the 240S and find a nice home amp for the DT 150, thinking seriously about adding a mixing board to see just how well the range can be tweaked on both of these.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 52
Ty Trav=]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smoking review Den! You know it's funny, i have the exact same reaction when i swap from the 240S to the DT 150, WHOA! I actually auditioned the 240S along with the DT 880 at a guitar center and preferred the sound of the 240S and thus bought them. I'll keep both of these for life. Going to recable the 240S and find a nice home amp for the DT 150, thinking seriously about adding a mixing board to see just how well the range can be tweaked on both of these.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 52
Thanks for the review. My only concern is the fact that you are using such low quality files as your source (128kbp mp3's). I can easily detect the low bit rate songs in my library when using my DT150. I highly suggest you rip some higher quality mp3's (at the very least 192kbp) and see what your phones are really capable of.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 52
Np problem Ckh.

I know what you mean, as I agree higher bit-rate files do sound better than 128k mp3s. It's just at the moment, I have no problems with the quality of mp3's I use
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. My only concern is the fact that you are using such low quality files as your source (128kbp mp3's). I can easily detect the low bit rate songs in my library when using my DT150. I highly suggest you rip some higher quality mp3's (at the very least 192kbp) and see what your phones are really capable of.

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 52
You use the x-fi with 24bit on i would guess? I would think thats why he dont think its bad. really gets alot more dynamic from what i remember but i dont remember more about SQ.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You use the x-fi with 24bit on i would guess? I would think thats why he dont think its bad. really gets alot more dynamic from what i remember but i dont remember more about SQ.

I use creative mode in stock settings(with crystalizer on full), because I find the sound stage most natural. I just have to clarify that I am no audiophile nor have super ears...I just have an interest in different headphones and writing about them. Whatever sounds good to me most definitely would not sound good to everyone(imo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back