*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Jan 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #271 of 452
So...does anyone actually THINK they hear a difference between the O2 and Magni?

Does anyone with both prefer one over the other and not due to features and specifications on paper?

Wondering if the O2 is worth bothering with if I have the Magni.

My guess is that I will find it to be exactly the same or better.

Has anyone tried the Q701 with both?

It's also interesting that both are labeled as "cold and analytical" or bright. Bright? If it's really transparent, is that possible? Must be only bright sounding due to a bad recording..

Strange, I no longer find the Magni bright at all. Even with my Q701.

I want a Magni that's about 2% warmer sounding
normal_smile .gif
So about 99.999% transparent

EQ is too painful. Don't make me do it..

Oh yeah.. I can also make my Magni very warm or thin and harsh. Just need to find the correct track
biggrin.gif
Yeah, it's that accurate I guess and won't change the recording. Not that I can tell.
On some tracks you can get bloated bass on the Magni too. Amazing how many tracks have such bloated bass IN the recording.

Sorry..just been trying to figure this Magni out. It reminds of a lot of my Micro Amp.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #273 of 452
Quote:
I really do have to appreciate how nice the Schiit Stack looks next to the O_O combo. The Schiit Stack has that kind of alluring Apple-look, whereas the O_O combo has a more conservative look with an ugly cable mess in the front.
Mac vs PC anyone?
Just kidding.

Really?

I think the Stack is kind-of meh... farther away it looks pretty nice, but the LEDs are very bright. Up close, it's obvious that the chassis is just cheap painted steel. I have a JDS alu front panel and a blank alu front panel for the O2 - the JDS one has some poor text but the blank one looks nice compared to the Stack, IMO.

All opinion, of course.

Quote:
Seriously though, does JDSlabs have any updates on what's up with that guy and whether he's made any more progress on the ODA?

MIA for a few months. "Extended time away." JDS blogged 4 months ago (almost exactly) that they don't know.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #274 of 452
Quote:
In the spirit of open source which is attributed to this project, maybe it's time to see if the designer will release any schematics he has for a prototype and let the community--if there is anyone willing--finish up the design from here. Not to mention there are few vendors globally making money off the O2 and ODAC. It would seem in their interest to come together and promote such an effort.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it here, but wouldn't it help to keep the power supply transformers away from the audio equipment? EMI issues and all? Op-Amps have a certain amount of rejection, but why take a chance?

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #276 of 452
I have a question slightly out of subject.

I will buy a O2+ODac (all-in-one) and I am wondering how i could plug it to my media player (WD TV Live Hub). The only place digital audio comes out on the media player is from the optical output.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, is there a USB input on the "All-in-one" O2+ODac, i have looked at pictures and it just looks like a O2, how can it go through the Dac if there is no USB?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #277 of 452
Quote:

I will buy a O2+ODac (all-in-one) and I am wondering how i could plug it to my media player (WD TV Live Hub). The only place digital audio comes out on the media player is from the optical output.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, is there a USB input on the "All-in-one" O2+ODac, i have looked at pictures and it just looks like a O2, how can it go through the Dac if there is no USB?

I don't know anything about optical out stuff, yet.

As for USB, there's a mini-USB input in the back of the O2+ODAC.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #278 of 452
Quote:

Thanks.

As MiceBlue points out, the USB input jack is on the back panel of the ODAC+O2 combo.

Since that USB port is the ODAC's only input, you'll need an S/PDIF to USB converter if you want to connect a WDTV box to it. I don't know anything about these.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #279 of 452
So as the current owner of an O2 with no ODAC, would I be right to say getting a Magni would be a waste of time? I was wondering how mixing and matching would work. I don't have a standalone DAC. It's simply awkward to have my E17 on the floor in a mess of cables the way it is now. The modi does seem tempting for the price.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #280 of 452
Quote:
So as the current owner of an O2 with no ODAC, would I be right to say getting a Magni would be a waste of time? I was wondering how mixing and matching would work. I don't have a standalone DAC. It's simply awkward to have my E17 on the floor in a mess of cables the way it is now. The modi does seem tempting for the price.

Unless the Magni has some feature you find lacking on the O2, you're simply buying another amp.

It's possible to mount an ODAC, with some circuit mods, in the same case with a standard O2. The Schiit Modi and Magni have nicely matched if not integrated cases. But, electrically and sonically, mixing and matching will work just fine.

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #281 of 452
If you have an O2 which is an amp getting the Magni which is another amp.....is that a waste of your time? Only you can answer that.

As far as getting the Magni, it most likely will not perform sonically and better than the O2 you already have.

That said many of us have several amps for various reasons.

Alex

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #282 of 452
I'd say get the Magni if you have cans with extremely low sensitivity and/or have a very weak source. Otherwise, O2 > Magni.
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #283 of 452
*Clap clap* 

Love this review. But I still got the O2+ODAC (mostly because I live in Europe). The Magni+Modi is something for the future perhaps - if they ever will be available with a 230V wall wart. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #284 of 452
Just got my little magni in the mail! 

For those of you who are perusing this thread to determine whether the magni is a little too much for your sensitive cans, you can lay your fears to rest. I'm using it with my HE-400s and my ATH M50S, both fairly efficient headphones, and you won't have a problem. With both of these pairs, I sit comfortably at around 9 or 10 o'clock with the computer at 100% volume (I'm using a xonar DX as my DAC). I don't notice any substantial channel imbalance above 7:30, and even below that, you have to really strain to notice it. When the pot is all the way down, I don't hear a thing.

It also sounds great! Crystal clear with a nice improvement in instrument separation and a nice, round stage. Can't speak for the O2/ODAC, but HE-400/ATH M50 owners can't go wrong with the magni.

If anyone wants I can give more detailed impressions after I listen some more.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #285 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerToast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With both of these pairs, I sit comfortably at around 9 or 10 o'clock with the computer at 100% volume (I'm using a xonar DX as my DAC).

But that's exactly the problem. Usable volume control range should be from 10 to 2 o'clock, not from 7:30 to 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back