Comparison: ADC interface for Hifi Recording < 1000$. USB Pre2, ADL Esprit, RME Babyface, ADL GT40. Other Analogue-Digital USB Convertsers??? Experiencies??? Comparisons??? Reviews???
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:
Have you checked what Audacity tells you at the bottom right?

Yes, I did check and it was showing 96kHz in the bottom right and bottom left.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:
One thing I wonder about... why are you not using the Esprit to also play back your recorded files? It should be the fairest A/B comparision, don't you think? I am not saying that the AK120's DAC is better or worse, but if the Esprit converts something from A to D, it should know best how to convert it back from D to A.... if that makes any sense :)

Yes, I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. I guess I can do that comparison as well. However, wouldn't any playback be affected by the DAC being used? Therefore I want to compare the DAC that I will normally be using for playback (the AK120) to my vinyl system. I do not foresee using the ADL Esprit for it's DAC capabilities (although never know, things could change). I really bought it as a means to rip my vinly collection.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Yes, I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. I guess I can do that comparison as well. However, wouldn't any playback be affected by the DAC being used? Therefore I want to compare the DAC that I will normally be using for playback (the AK120) to my vinyl system. I do not foresee using the ADL Esprit for it's DAC capabilities (although never know, things could change). I really bought it as a means to rip my vinly collection.

Good, just use whatever DAC you like the most. But out of curiousity, I would definitely check what the Esprit DAC can deliver. Afterall it has a DAC built in, so you may as well use it somewhere :wink:

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #34 of 34
I am interested in the sound quality of the ADC in the GT40 as I have just purchased one second hand from a fellow member.  I will be using it to digitize my older LPs at 24bit/96KHz.  The files will then be burned to DVD-Audio discs for playback on my Linn Unidisk SC. My phono setup is a Linn LP12 with a Lingo power supply, Ittok LVIII tonearm and Shure V15 VMR cartridge.  My phono preamp is a McIntosh C2200 and I will use the Line input on the GT40.  The GT40 is to replace a Technolink TC-722 phono/line preamp with an ADC and USB recording output, which was "okay" for 16bit/44.1KHz transfers, but lacked fine detail and sounded a bit course...a limitation of CD quality transfers on a $90 device.

I should be able to test the GT40 in a couple of weeks, but have a two questions for anyone with experience with the GT40.

1. Will I get an improvement in recording quality by using matching Furutech Formula 2 or GT2 USB cables?  Please forget, the debate about the impossibility of any effect on digital signals...just has anyone had any experience in this regard?  Would the GT2 be worth the extra cost?

2. Both the GT40 and the Esprit appear to use a 24bit/96KHzTenor chip for the USB transceiver and both units have extra circuitry that I will not use (headphone amp, line amp in both units; phono pre in the GT40 and optical S/PDIF + coaxial digital outputs on the Esprit).  As well I will not be recording at 24bit/192KHz as I cannot hear a significant improvement over 24bit/96KHz on my system.

So, any advantage to upgrading to the Esprit? Has anyone compared the ADC recording quality between the two ADL units?

Thanks for any and all advice and I will report on my results once I have the GT40 and make some recordings.

Douglas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back