Comparing the HD600 vs HD650
Aug 5, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #91 of 99
Hey, Me x3! Thanks for your suggestions. I am or rather was looking for a bass-centric pair to go with the Beyers. I had finalised upon the HD650, but unfortunately my 8 year old iPod decided to breathe its last a few weeks ago and I had to divert my funds towards buying a new DAP (Fiio X5 ii). So the purchase will most likely be pushed to the next year.

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #92 of 99
There is a noticeable improvement of sound changing the stock cable of HD600 to Cardas Clear cable. That improvement sustains in both HD600 and HD650. Even comparing between HD600 with Cardas and HD650 with stock cable, HD650 still sounded less unveiled and engaging to me.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #93 of 99
Hi guys.... for someone that loves the over ear momentums, hd25, m50x and that mostly listen to pop, rock (mostly metal) and electronic, wich would you guys recomend? HD600 or HD650?

I have the hd600 right now and although they are good they have a certain spike that sometimes messes with my earing, like a tinitus effect.... fisrt time this happens to me and i already owned more than 20 different headphones.....

If the hd650 sound a bit fuller and closer to my fav closed ones than i am sold.....

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #94 of 99
Those are wildly different cans. Short answer, 650s are bassier and lusher, but less bright. So they are far from the m50x. The 600s are a jack of all trades. Super neutral. I find them boring, but tonally accurate.

Are you a visceral person or academic? There's way funner cans in that price bracket.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #95 of 99
Those are wildly different cans. Short answer, 650s are bassier and lusher, but less bright. So they are far from the m50x. The 600s are a jack of all trades. Super neutral. I find them boring, but tonally accurate.

Are you a visceral person or academic? There's way funner cans in that price bracket.

You mean the x2s or he400is? :)

As you can see all of my fovourite closed cans have a nice visceral sla. Even the momentums (over ear) are not very laidback, they pack quite a punch.

But do you find the hd600 a morr boring listen than the hd650? I like the hd600 highs and mids and even the bass is punchy enough for me. Stuff like frank carter and the rattlesnakes and royal blood are still pretty enjoyable on them...I just would like them to sound a tiny bit fuller, deeper on the bass....

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #96 of 99
You mean the x2s or he400is?
smily_headphones1.gif

As you can see all of my fovourite closed cans have a nice visceral sla. Even the momentums (over ear) are not very laidback, they pack quite a punch.

But do you find the hd600 a morr boring listen than the hd650? I like the hd600 highs and mids and even the bass is punchy enough for me. Stuff like frank carter and the rattlesnakes and royal blood are still pretty enjoyable on them...I just would like them to sound a tiny bit fuller, deeper on the bass....

I think the 600s are boring as hell. They are tonally accurate, and the mids are lush. Good bass, tame treble presence. Soundstage isn't all that great, though they image very accurately. They are impressively balanced, but they don't jump out or impress. I am a soundstage junkie, and I have sort of given up on analyzing cans and am trying to enjoy music first and foremost. I find that tonal accuracy, while the most important criterion for audiophiles, is secondary to other factors as far as sheer enjoyment goes, unless the unbalance is really off putting. Finding slight pronunciations or recessions in a frequency spectrum is good for geeking out, but listening to music that way is not really focusing on the dynamics of the music, but of the sound as such. I am no longer interested in doing that.

The 650s are thicker, even lusher. I find them way more unique and interesting than the 600s, because of those superbly lush mids and punchy bass. They are quite dark, which is not my thing, but they do that better than almost anyone. And I own the 600s! 

As for the Fidelios, I own a pair of X1s. I like them quite a bit, and exemplify what I was saying earlier about tonal accuracy. A lot of people complain about its treble being slightly off, but seriously you have to be extremely nitpicky to mind that. They have way larger soundstage than the Senns, are better built, and have a stronger bass presence. The x2 are similar, with a bit less bass, but more controlled one, and tamer highs.  I am gravitating towards brighter cans lately, though. I really like the Beyer dt880s in that price range. 

I think the Fidelios x2 are still the best bang for the buck in the bracket, considering their very negligible amping requirements. If you have a good amp, then the Beyers or Senns scale better.

I stay clear of Hifiman products now, since they are generally annoyingly unbalanced, and the build quality is genuinely horrendous. They were overhyped beyond belief for a while. I own the re-400s iems and that's the last time those guys will get my money. They are terrible.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #97 of 99
I think the 600s are boring as hell. They are tonally accurate, and the mids are lush. Good bass, tame treble presence. Soundstage isn't all that great, though they image very accurately. They are impressively balanced, but they don't jump out or impress. I am a soundstage junkie, and I have sort of given up on analyzing cans and am trying to enjoy music first and foremost. I find that tonal accuracy, while the most important criterion for audiophiles, is secondary to other factors as far as sheer enjoyment goes, unless the unbalance is really off putting. Finding slight pronunciations or recessions in a frequency spectrum is good for geeking out, but listening to music that way is not really focusing on the dynamics of the music, but of the sound as such. I am no longer interested in doing that.

The 650s are thicker, even lusher. I find them way more unique and interesting than the 600s, because of those superbly lush mids and punchy bass. They are quite dark, which is not my thing, but they do that better than almost anyone. And I own the 600s! 

As for the Fidelios, I own a pair of X1s. I like them quite a bit, and exemplify what I was saying earlier about tonal accuracy. A lot of people complain about its treble being slightly off, but seriously you have to be extremely nitpicky to mind that. They have way larger soundstage than the Senns, are better built, and have a stronger bass presence. The x2 are similar, with a bit less bass, but more controlled one, and tamer highs.  I am gravitating towards brighter cans lately, though. I really like the Beyer dt880s in that price range. 

I think the Fidelios x2 are still the best bang for the buck in the bracket, considering their very negligible amping requirements. If you have a good amp, then the Beyers or Senns scale better.

I stay clear of Hifiman products now, since they are generally annoyingly unbalanced, and the build quality is genuinely horrendous. They were overhyped beyond belief for a while. I own the re-400s iems and that's the last time those guys will get my money. They are terrible.

You tested the old hd650 or the new one with silver drivers? Thr hd650 hits hardet and sounds much fuller than the hd600?

I always felt tempted to get the hd650 or the x2. The x2 is closer in signature to the closed cans i mentioned?
One thing that keeps me from buying the x2 and being more interested on the senns is because many say yhe hd650 has muvh more potential than the x2 when plugged to certain pairings. Some would even say the 650 belongs to a another league....

The hifimans i dont feel like trying them... They ate expensive, ugly, and i am not taking a blind shot since i never tried anything with the hifiman brand.... I do believe they sound great but i am just not taking chances.... I would rather get the 650 and x2s first....

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #98 of 99
You tested the old hd650 or the new one with silver drivers? Thr hd650 hits hardet and sounds much fuller than the hd600?

I always felt tempted to get the hd650 or the x2. The x2 is closer in signature to the closed cans i mentioned?
One thing that keeps me from buying the x2 and being more interested on the senns is because many say yhe hd650 has muvh more potential than the x2 when plugged to certain pairings. Some would even say the 650 belongs to a another league....

The hifimans i dont feel like trying them... They ate expensive, ugly, and i am not taking a blind shot since i never tried anything with the hifiman brand.... I do believe they sound great but i am just not taking chances.... I would rather get the 650 and x2s first....

New drivers. They pack substantial punch relative to the 600s. I would say they are different than the Momentums or m50x. The Momentums are similar to the 600s in their neutrality. The x2s are a bit funner, not nearly as V shaped as the m50x.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #99 of 99
I have a modded pair of 600's (took all the foam out) and I like them a ton. Only stopped listening to them as of late since I got a pair of HD800. The 650 to me seemed too dark and I didn't like it as much as stock HD600.

Always interesting to me how everyone has their own preference on what "sounds good" :slight_smile:

Also my tastes have changed a lot since I first started. Like @krelianx , I now listen to the music instead of listening to the headphone or gear. It takes a lot of tubes (in my opinion) to listen to music with the HD800, but it was much easier with the HD600 I must say in that department... Much prefer the mids on the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back