Comparing the HD600 vs HD650
Aug 9, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #62 of 99
Adorama.com is selling the HD600 and HD650 at their regular prices, but throwing in the Apogee Groove USB DAC and Amp (normally $295) for FREE with purchase of either.

I've seen comments here and elsewhere saying that the HD650 scales better than the HD600.  With an amp as powerful as the Groove, will it make the HD650 stand head and shoulders above the HD600?  If so, I can justify the $100 price difference.

Things I value in headphones:
* Nice wide soundstage (not feeling like the music is all inside my head)
* Clarity
* Highlighted trebles (as long as it doesn't get too harsh)
* Clean bass (not muddy or overpowering, but I don't mind a little emphasis, particularly of the mid-to-upper bass).
* Comfort, so I can wear for hours

Thoughts?

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #63 of 99
  Adorama.com is selling the HD600 and HD650 at their regular prices, but throwing in the Apogee Groove USB DAC and Amp (normally $295) for FREE with purchase of either.

I've seen comments here and elsewhere saying that the HD650 scales better than the HD600.  With an amp as powerful as the Groove, will it make the HD650 stand head and shoulders above the HD600?  If so, I can justify the $100 price difference.

Things I value in headphones:
* Clarity
* Clean bass (not muddy or overpowering, but I don't mind a little emphasis, particularly of the mid-to-upper bass).

Thoughts?

HD650 is not for people who prefers the treble to be highlighted. To me it sounds like you want the HD600.

Someone should tell Apogee that they are wearing the HD800 backwards in their Apogee ad, haha: 

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #64 of 99
I've got both the HD600 and the HD650. I've had the HD600 for two years now, and the HD650 only for a few months. The idea was to sell one of the two, but I cannot choose, so for the moment I have both.

I think I have a preference for the HD600. There is something with that thing that makes me never want to take it off of my head. It is so clear, vocals sound so good, it is so natural, nothing annoying, never fatigue.

Why then not simply sell the HD650 again you would ask. Well, somehow there is something with the soundstage of the HD650. In some songs, I just think, oh, someone is calling me for real, or a strange sound in the house, so I take it off, and then it appears to be part of the music. The sound stage sometimes is magic. I never have that with the HD600.

And also, sometimes the HD650 gives the impression of deeper bass. But when then I take it off and put the HD600 on for the same piece, I think, yeah, the bass is still pretty good. Somehow it impresses me more with the HD650.

All in all I listen more to the HD600. Only for pop music the HD650 is more pleasant, but for everything else, rock, acoustic, jazz, classic, new age, the HD600 is more pleasant.

Coming to your list of criteria:

It's close, but I believe the HD650 is the winner, even though I think you will enjoy the HD600, too

* Clarity
No doubt the HD600 wins here, miles ahead

Again, the HD600 is the winner here

The HD650 is more impressive on the low end, but sometimes that does seem a bit muddy.
The HD600 also has good bass, but less emphasis, less muddy, but you will never have that wow this is low feeling

Depends on the size of your head. Mine is not particularly big. I feel the HD600 is more comfortable.

Conclusion: I'd go for the HD600. You won't regret it and you end up saving US$100 as the HD600 is cheaper.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #65 of 99
Recently posted a comparative review of the HD650 and the HD600, if anyone is interested: 

http://www.headphoneer.com/hd600-vs-hd650-vs-akg-q701/

Love your review and recognize much of your experience. However, sometimes the HD600 is described under par as to what it deserves in my opinion. Looking at the photographs, it doesn't seem a fair comparison as I see an upgraded cable on the HD650 and the standard cable on the HD600. The standard cable of the HD600 isn't very good, I upgraded it and it made a heck of a difference, the HD600 now really shines. Still, agreed that the HD650 is somehow more juicy.

And yes, both the Sennheisers sound best when using a tube amp. I use the Nuforce iDo, like you, but hooked up to a Little Dot.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #66 of 99
Love your review and recognize much of your experience. However, sometimes the HD600 is described under par as to what it deserves in my opinion. Looking at the photographs, it doesn't seem a fair comparison as I see an upgraded cable on the HD650 and the standard cable on the HD600. The standard cable of the HD600 isn't very good, I upgraded it and it made a heck of a difference, the HD600 now really shines. Still, agreed that the HD650 is somehow more juicy.

And yes, both the Sennheisers sound best when using a tube amp. I use the Nuforce iDo, like you, but hooked up to a Little Dot.

Thanks :) Hehe - I was waiting for someone to catch me on that cable - Couldn't find the stock one... Still - I am pretty sure I would have made the same observations - the upgrade cable didn't really change the HD650's character that much. But I do not think I descriebed thre HD600 as lesser than the HD650 - but I usually preferred it du to its laid back smoothness, something the HD650 has that seems quite unique. Some love it , some hate it - but I am a HD650 guy :) But the HD600 might be more of an all rounder. And it is great value. The best thing is of course to own them both. 

Have you heard the Shure SRH1840? It is quite HD600/650-ish, in yet a different way. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #67 of 99
Agreed, the HD650 does have something unique. Those who have the luxury to own them both are the luckiest indeed. Even though it wasn't my intention (I wanted to sell either and keep the one I like most) I think I will let myself be one of those after all.

I haven't heard the Shure SRH1840 but you're not the first recommending it to me. When I get the chance I'll listen to it and let you know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #68 of 99
I ordered both the Hd600 and HD650 few months ago I also mostly listen classical music I ended up sending the hd650 back. HD650 is more well rounded for more genres, sounds abit more colored and darker with a better soundstage. The hd600 there is more detail, better instrument seperating, better treble, and more neutral sounding headphones. Hd600 and hd650 sound similar in a way, and both great headphones. Hd650 have abit better base, as for me I prefer neutral sounding headphones, I'm not that worried about bass. The hd600 have still a satisfying bass.

On another note Hd650 has a better cable than the hd600, I wish the hd600 came with the hd650 cable. You won't be disappointed with either of them, but I would recommend the hd600, they are also cheaper I believe. Here its not a huge deal €281 for hd600 and €310 for hd650.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #69 of 99
Have you heard the Shure SRH1840? It is quite HD600/650-ish, in yet a different way. 

Finally I got the chance of listening a while to both the Shure SRH1840 and its closed alternative the Shure SRH1540. And, against my expectations, I became a fan of the SRH1540. Great sound, amazing soundstage for closed cans, and very forgiving. Some music that doesn't sound good on the HD600/650 still sounds great on the SRH1540. For a while I've been looking for a closed alternative of my Sennheisers and I think the SRH1540's will do the trick. They are a bit pricy though, I'll need some time before deciding to buy them.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip on the SRH1840's. To be honest, I like them but I like the SRH1540 even more!

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #70 of 99
Finally I got the chance of listening a while to both the Shure SRH1840 and its closed alternative the Shure SRH1540. And, against my expectations, I became a fan of the SRH1540. Great sound, amazing soundstage for closed cans, and very forgiving. Some music that doesn't sound good on the HD600/650 still sounds great on the SRH1540. For a while I've been looking for a closed alternative of my Sennheisers and I think the SRH1540's will do the trick. They are a bit pricy though, I'll need some time before deciding to buy them.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip on the SRH1840's. To be honest, I like them but I like the SRH1540 even more!

Now you made me very curious about the 1540, which I have yet to hear :smiley:

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #71 of 99
From a top-end source and amp, the HD650 will sound better to many people for most genres. Plugged into lesser gear, the HD650 may sound a bit dark, muddy, veiled, or bloated in the bass frequencies. The HD600 doesn't scale quite as much with better gear, but is more neutral and consistent plugged into anything. The bass of the HD600 will not overwhelm other frequencies. Your strings and horns will stand out as they should. The build quality is about the same for both the HD600 and HD650.

(sorry to be asking off like a 3 year old comment but)
What, to you, qualifies as a top-end source and amp?
I want to know if my Objective O2 and ODAC would qualify (Massdrop edition) or if I'd need something like a Gustard H10

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #72 of 99
I own the hd600s, and have heard the hd-650s extensively. I have driven them from the Magni/Modi combo, Aune T1 and X1.

I am in a minority opinion that they are terribly overrated by today's standards. They have a beautiful, natural tonality, the midrange is lush and well textured, and they are quite neutral. But they are also a bit slow, not terribly resolute, the soundstage is a bit narrow, though with accurate image. The bass is nice in quantity, but it isn't nearly as extended or defined as in other cans, and the treble presentation is quite boring. They lack clarity, transparency, expansiveness, resolution and detail retrieval. They are not offensive anywhere, but they are also frankly boring to me.

The hd-650s are even more laid back, even lusher, and the bass is more pronounced, and tighter. But they also feel congested to me, and really don't work well with music that requires clarity and transparency, i.e. pop, rock, metal. I don't even like it for classical, since it feels too crammed and not spacious enough. Still, they are much more interesting than the hd-600s imo, and have a unique, beautiful tonality. The hd-800s, on the other hand, are a different story altogether... a very modern set of cans.

I prefer the dt880s, AKG 65th Anniversary, and the Fidelios X1/X2, in the same price range. Sure, these all have more glaring imperfections (the dt880s can get a bit too harsh on top, the Fidelios have artificial treble...), but they are also more daring and exciting. For something with a darker or more neutral tonality, I prefer the Hifiman he-400i. I haven't heard the he-400s.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #73 of 99
  (sorry to be asking off like a 3 year old comment but)
What, to you, qualifies as a top-end source and amp?
I want to know if my Objective O2 and ODAC would qualify (Massdrop edition) or if I'd need something like a Gustard H10

The O2 does a very good job, especially for the money, but you can of course pay more and get more.. I really dig the HD650 with Woo WA2 and Beyerdynamic A1, to mention some. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #74 of 99
On another note Hd650 has a better cable than the hd600, I wish the hd600 came with the hd650 cable.

The HD650 cable can be used with the HD600 also (as well as the other way around), and they are available as spare parts directly from Sennheiser (HD650: http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-650, HD600: http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600). Curiously, the HD650 cable costs less.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #75 of 99
To get true good sound you will need to replace your sound card and use an external DAC. There is just too much noise inside a computer for an internal sound card to sound good. The external DAC should then be plugged into a good amplifier such as Schiit Audio Asgard 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back