Comparing file all formats
Jul 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ihearnoises1981

New Head-Fier
hi head-fi community,
recently i had a encounter on youtube about file formats,
so why not discuss the importance of file formats KBS, Frame, Bit rates right here
we can ALL probably tell the difference between a mp3 to a WAV file,
but what about when it gets difficult for some to compare and conceive differences,
like comparing a AAC(256kbs) to a aiff 44khz 16 bit (1400kbs)
personally I believe the better KBS and what not the better but i'll try to keep this as neutral as possible
but i have been told that when you get to a certain point there is no difference,

The big questions are so YOU think that file formats matter, Can YOU tell the differences of between higher quality formats, DO you think it is even important enough to consider better formats beyond something like flac or apple lossless, any REAL differences between  aiff and  flac, is this all redundant?

ARE you FOR better kbs, do you think this is pointless? what do You guys look for or want or even like or enjoy?

recently i've been told that i am BS ING  since i thought and heard minor and moderate changes between apple lossless and aiff,
the person tells me they sound the exact same and are no different. Do you agree? with Who? WHY? ELABORATE, REASONS, RESULTS

did i rip my WHOLE itunes library from apple lossless to aiff 44khz 16 bit for NO reason(i have reasons but i want to know what you guys think)?

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi there.  I was the one you originally had the conversation with on YouTube.  But just for the record, you said that you could hear a difference between FLAC/ALAC and WAV/AIFF both off of the same source.

Lossless is lossless and will sound the same as uncompressed PCM (WAV or AIFF) when played back.

As for 256 AAC (aka "iTunes Plus"), you can hear the difference if you listen close enough, but I have heard some very good examples that were transparent with the same music on CD.

Here is the YouTube video in case anybody wants to see the original conversation.

http://youtu.be/BEVAvzxn2IY

FWIW, I also stated that mastering is far more important than bitrate, bit depth or frequency range.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hi there.  I was the one you originally had the conversation with on YouTube.  But just for the record, you said that you could hear a difference between FLAC/ALAC and WAV/AIFF both off of the same source.

Lossless is lossless and will sound the same as uncompressed PCM (WAV or AIFF) when played back.

As for 256 AAC (aka "iTunes Plus"), you can hear the difference if you listen close enough, but I have heard some very good examples that were transparent with the same music on CD.

Here is the YouTube video in case anybody wants to see the original conversation.

http://youtu.be/BEVAvzxn2IY

FWIW, I also stated that mastering is far more important than bitrate, bit depth or frequency range.

lets not make silly patriotic credibility points, because i find your school boy heroics redundant,
I never said mastering was not more important than bitrate, bit depth, and never ever said frequency range and I completely agree with you that mastering is very important , although i was stressing importance in in bit rate ,frame rate ect, i will never admit i said it was more important than mastering, because that is simply not true, it was just a little off topic of what we were discussing, giving no reason for me to bring it up

okay the differences between flac/alac- wav/aiff 64bit were Minor and at the most moderate, i will not say HOLY crap, and have a jazz break , but with out further condoning or condemning, i will say there were small differences and moderate differences at best

IMO: aiff is uncompressed AND a lossless format...
 doing test with a AKG Q701 and audioengine d1 and a macbook alone and zodiac gold
( i find it harder telling the difference( flac-aiff) with floor standing speakers)  

lets try to keep "equipment is broken, placebo effect, or you're just BSing." out of this conversation, because i find it rude and ignorant, to the fact that you cannot conform with peoples differences so you have to say meaningless and rude things such as that and be insistent with unfound reasons. Also any electronic or ANYTHING that is high priced is bound to have extremely low tolerance for specifications and i DOUBT that they will release a product out of the factory that cost over 3000$ and have it defective
(my antelope audio zodiac gold and rubicon to be specific) even if it is i would have it replaced the very day i got these products and it is very silly to think ALL of my equipment is broken or defective JUST because i hear small differences and you don't conform with them.
I have NO reason to lie about hearing any differences, for i find it pointless to fend for formats ROFL, these are merely my unbiased observations as well as my friend william and even if i was lying, What for? some audphililia credit? golden ear award? recognition? i find NO pride in being an audiophile, for i take it as a personality trait that describes my interest, not something you Stand on a golden pedestal with

lets keep this thread with utmost respect and keep it friendly :)
EVEN if we have different opinions, there is absolutely no need
to make rude statement assumptions, and dare to pull the "your a beats/ Skull candy kid"
i found that one THEE most offensive
and put each other down JUST because i may not be as knowledged in file formats or  EVEN IF i am not as much of an audiophile,
as i said there is NO pride in being an audiophile and find it as a pathetic, desperate insult 

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 4
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back