Compared my DT 880s to the HD 600s. Impressions
Jul 31, 2007 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
After a job interview I had today (went rather well), I decided to stop by my local hi-fi place because they just got an HD 600 in and I've wanted to compare them to my DT 880s for a while.

They were brand new; still in the box actually. Besides my Beyers, I brought my portable rig: iAUDIO X5 w/ Rockbox and HeadAmp AE-1 to listen to music on. I sat down in a nice comfy chair with both phones and began A/Bing.

First of all, the 600s had QUITE a grip on my head. The Beyers felt like light fluffy pillows in comparison. The Senns weren't uncomfortable, but I did notice the pressure on my head a good bit. I listened to a good variety of music from indie rock stuff, to electronic, to some funk. The most noticable difference was that the low end was emphasized MUCH more on the 600s. When I would switch back the the 880s I'd be like "where'd the bass go?" They felt like a force not to be reckoned with. I didn't really notice a "veil" on the 600s, they just weren't as sparkly as the 880s. When I'd get used to the Senns' sound and go the Beyers, they sounded thin, but when I'd get used to those and switch to the Senns I'd be overpowered with bass.

The sound staging on the 600s was noticeably more intimate. Details all felt close by and easy to pick out. The 880's staging just stretched out SO far. It's a more natural sounding listening experience, but a bit less engaging than the 600s. Yes, I did find myself "rocking out" more with the 600s. The 880s are more polite and gentle sounding.

So my question to you all is: Are there cans that are somewhere in between the 600's gargantuan bass and the 880's polite low end, with just as wide and real sounding staging as the Beyers and as much fun as the Senns? I'm thinking the K701s might be a contender here but there's no where around that I can demo them.

Any other ideas?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 23
What about the DT990? More base with much of the same soudstage and detail of the 880.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 23
i've got the HD580 (w/ HD600 grills) & DT880 05' 250ohm, so let me add to & confirm some of the OP's comments...

The difference in bass between the two is noticeable, but not overly severe. Going back and forth as I do between the two (580 -> vinyl setup, 880 -> everything else) whenever I have the 580's on now, I feel that the entire top end of the music is cut off; I can liken it to standing in a room whose ceiling is only an inch or two taller than you when you're accustomed to 20 foot ceilings--it just feels odd, especially when you know what is missing up in those higher frequencies.

I talk as if there's some sort of lowpass filter on the 580's when there isn't; they most certainly produce the high frequencies, but said frequencies are laid far back with respect to the bass & mids and what have you for my liking. The 880s on the other hand, while 1 stroke over par on bass quantity, best the 580's in every other field of competition, including bass quality and other such audiophile terms used to describe it.

One good thing about the veil on the 580's is that they work very well for less-than-immaculate vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree whole-heartedly with the OP's comparison on comfort & sound stage.

Both being great headphones, but really not going for the same trophy (580/600's -> laid back, bassier sound; dt880's -> neutral, revealing sound), you can't go wrong having both
smily_headphones1.gif

Hoping someone digs up a good "in the middle" headphone

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 23
Hmm, the K701s are looking to be the only real option here. I've heard the DT 990's highs are overly bright and not as refined as the 880 and the mids are recessed which is exactly what I don't want.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my question to you all is: Are there cans that are somewhere in between the 600's gargantuan bass and the 880's polite low end, with just as wide and real sounding staging as the Beyers and as much fun as the Senns? I'm thinking the K701s might be a contender here but there's no where around that I can demo them.

Ok, the first thing that I should point out, is that the HD600 bass is not gargantuan. Far from it!

As for an inbetween to the HD600 and DT880, you may have answered your own question with the K701. I would also recommend that you spend some quality time with the HD650. Now, forgive me for saying, but the HD650 have more bass weight than the HD600, however it may grown on you. You should find the soundstage depth to be very nice, a leap above the HD600.

So yea:
HD650
K701
You owe it to yourself to spend some quality time with both.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Hmm, the K701s are looking to be the only real option here. I've heard the DT 990's highs are overly bright and not as refined as the 880 and the mids are recessed which is exactly what I don't want.

FWIW, I much prefered the 880s to the 990s. Yes they have more bass, but misses as said, the mids are a little recessed and I didn't find them as detailed.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the first thing that I should point out, is that the HD600 bass is not gargantuan. Far from it!

Well, compared to my 880s, it seemed to be. At least, the low end was MUCH more emphasized. I'd listen to a track on the 600s and be like "wow I didn't realized how bass driven this was" then switch to my 880s and be like "wait, what happened." These were brand new 600s tho, so does the bass settle down with burn-in? I don't know if I want to check out the 650s if they have even MORE bass.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Well, compared to my 880s, it seemed to be. At least, the low end was MUCH more emphasized. I'd listen to a track on the 600s and be like "wow I didn't realized how bass driven this was" then switch to my 880s and be like "wait, what happened." These were brand new 600s tho, so does the bass settle down with burn-in? I don't know if I want to check out the 650s if they have even MORE bass.

Bass, it's an acquired taste. If you get a headphone that does it right, chances are it will grown on you (else you are missing out on a whole section of the music). Granted, there are some people who can't stand any bass, and go for headphones with the least amount of bass.... but they are far and few.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 23
Well, I don't not like bass. Hmm double negatives... Up until recently you could have called me a basshead. It's just that the 600s seemed to emphasize it too much, and lacked the sparkling and airy highs of the DT 880s.

From reading a bunch of 05' DT 880 vs K701 comparisons, it seems that the 880s actually may go deeper than the 701s but the AKGs have a boosted mid-bass and lower-mids so they are perceived as having more bass. I've read comments saying that the 880s are more detailed and others saying the 701s are more detailed. Why must this be so hard?

edit: 420th post
wink.gif

edit2: maybe I just need a nice tube amp

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 23
It depends largely on the amp with the Senns - whether the bass seems thick and muddled, or whether it tightens and the highs open up. It takes something with a discrete output stage that can slew a lot of volts (or a similar tube arrangement).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back