compare these two
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dodgercat

New Head-Fier
Ultrasone 780 VS ATH-WS70 compared to Ulrasone 780.......I'm in such turmoil right now. I am a demanding audiophile, who needs a portable unit to take out to Starbucks, etc, without getting laughs.......But I DEMAND  powerful bass, clarity, ballance etc....It just doesn't seem like anyone can come up with anything that has a true WOW factor sound wise, and size wise....I think I've narrowed it down to these two.....Anyone have any oppinions ???

Please Help.....I'm so greatful !!!!

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 5
Try the V-Moda M80.  They have a very nice up-front sound that is balanced.  I especially like the bass to mid range, but the treble is not rolled off early.  They also sound awesome amped.  They are very portable, look pretty slick, and are built extremely well.  The carrying case is also awesome.

They are my $200 and under favorite now ahead of my ATH-M50 and CAL!.

For $50 more you can customize the M80 with your own logo.

Here are the charts:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM80.pdf

Here is Tyll's Review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the 580's i think you want these more. the 780's are known to be more suited for rock. less bass presence. the 580 has the larger 50mm mylar driver due to bass emphasis.
the Vmoda M80's are relativley flat headphones from reivews and what i have heard...baiscally. it's known to be a flat heapdhone. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 5
The problem is though, I already have large Denons - However - I am sick of the funny gigles and stares when I wear them in public - " Hey Pilot, you've still got your headphones on ....He He He " Nope - the 580s are just way to large - It's gotta be somewhat compact - drivers 40 mm or smaller....Thats my problem - no one seems to have a good idea of what can give me good, powerfull CLEAR base.....Lots of " OK " bass recomendations, or ample - but muddy....It's just frustrating - because if I'm willing to spend $ 250 or so, you would think it wouldn't be that hard to find something audibley worthy of that kind of money in a compact size...People have reccomended the Ultrasone 780, T50, ES9WA, Beyer 5P,Klipche ONE, SN 25 - but no one can think of a PORTABLE set that will at least give me the Bass deffenition of my M50s for $ 100 less. I've also given strong consideration to the Phiaton M400 - has the bass - but I've been warned that its not really an audiophile quality on the rest of the sound spectrum.....I'm about to just give up, say f'it and just learn to accept the giggles at Starbucks.....So frustrating - it would be different if I was only willing to spend $ 100 or so - then you can learn to live with compromises. Any suggestions other than the above would be appreciated :)

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
The problem is though, I already have large Denons - However - I am sick of the funny gigles and stares when I wear them in public - " Hey Pilot, you've still got your headphones on ....He He He " Nope - the 580s are just way to large - It's gotta be somewhat compact - drivers 40 mm or smaller....Thats my problem - no one seems to have a good idea of what can give me good, powerfull CLEAR base.....Lots of " OK " bass recomendations, or ample - but muddy....It's just frustrating - because if I'm willing to spend $ 250 or so, you would think it wouldn't be that hard to find something audibley worthy of that kind of money in a compact size...People have reccomended the Ultrasone 780, T50, ES9WA, Beyer 5P,Klipche ONE, SN 25 - but no one can think of a PORTABLE set that will at least give me the Bass deffenition of my M50s for $ 100 less. I've also given strong consideration to the Phiaton M400 - has the bass - but I've been warned that its not really an audiophile quality on the rest of the sound spectrum.....I'm about to just give up, say f'it and just learn to accept the giggles at Starbucks.....So frustrating - it would be different if I was only willing to spend $ 100 or so - then you can learn to live with compromises. Any suggestions other than the above would be appreciated :)

i haven't heard them but portables that are audiophile and have good bass are
Sennheiser HD 25

however an updated version has since come out:
it's the Sennhesier Amperior

next we also have the Beyerdynaimc DT1350. all are good portable heapdhones from what i hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back