Compare the MS-1 and AKG 501
Feb 2, 2006 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BluesDaddy

500+ Head-Fier
Forget about the bass. Think clarity, midrange and highs. How do they compare? I know Grados are notorious for lack of soundstage, but are the MS-1s any better. Those who've heard both, I'd love to hear your opinions. Overall, which do you listen to the most?

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 21
To me K501 win handsdown. they have better instrumental separation, smoother frequency response from upper bass on, more air to breath, better comfort, and build quality. Its also harder to drive though. I always grab K501 first when both are within my reach.

Feb 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228
To me K501 win handsdown. they have better instrumental separation, smoother frequency response from upper bass on, more air to breath, better comfort, and build quality. Its also harder to drive though. I always grab K501 first when both are within my reach.

Thanks, great insight. After being a two headphone man for over a year (just my Senns and Etys (that were given to me)), I bought a pair of Grados used a couple weeks ago. Now, with the price drop in the 501s, the cans I've had my eye on for a long time are available.

Damn you, Head-Fi!!
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 21
any more opinions? i'm debating between these two now (i can't keep my mind made up, no matter how many times i decide i'm going to get he ms-1s)

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 21
No comparison really. K501 hands down. I do have the MS1 as well as the SR60, both are not even in the same league as the K501. Unless you are into pop, rock or electronica, the K501 wins hands down in terms of warm and rich midrange, soundstage, details, percussion decay etc..

No comparison AT all... Now, with my DT880, HD580 and K501, I never reach for my MS1 nor the SR60 anymore. The only genre that MS1 and SR60 is still enjoyable is watching movies with them.

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 21
are K501 really that good? i've been thinking about getting a pair of MS1s just to check out the mid-end Grado sound. any Grado-heads wanna chime in?

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
are K501 really that good? i've been thinking about getting a pair of MS1s just to check out the mid-end Grado sound. any Grado-heads wanna chime in?

Umm... I find that the K501 is easily better than the low-mid Grados SR60, SR80, feels more hi-fi. Of course, the K501 is lacking in bass, but its soundstage is infinitely larger than that of the Grados. Grados probably may sound less refined and of course, definitely more aggressive

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 21
i listen mainly to classic rock, but i've a bit of everything in my collection, and i rarely listen to loud, crashing rock (for instance, i prefer dark side of the moon to led zeppelin 1, i prefer stairway to heaven to heartbreaker [basically, i'm a soft rock guy]). there is definitely some good hard rock that i often listen to, though.

i'll be getting a good denon or marantz entry-level cdp off of ebay, and i'll be a mint amp from a builder here on head-fi. would these be able to handle the k501s? or with my musical rpeferences are the ms-1s still best?

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 21
K501 basically kills MS-1 in most of the aspects! but it require a good amp to do so!

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
i listen mainly to classic rock, but i've a bit of everything in my collection, and i rarely listen to loud, crashing rock (for instance, i prefer dark side of the moon to led zeppelin 1, i prefer stairway to heaven to heartbreaker [basically, i'm a soft rock guy]). there is definitely some good hard rock that i often listen to, though.

501's don't sound very good with most classic rock. not enough bass and the strengths of the 501-midrange,treble and soundstage are seldom found in most older rock recordings. Even DSOTM. Senn 580 are a good all around phone for many types of music and the grado's are very good but can be bright and harsh with bad recordings. All benefit from an amp, but Grado's are least affected from being unamped.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for everyone's input. I've been wanting to hear the 501s basically since I bought my Senns about 16 months ago. With the price drop at Headroom, I finally coudn't resist and longer and pulled the trigger today on a pair. As I wrote in another thread, hopefully I get one with the "brown ring" pads, but we'll see.

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Thanks for everyone's input. I've been wanting to hear the 501s basically since I bought my Senns about 16 months ago. With the price drop at Headroom, I finally coudn't resist and longer and pulled the trigger today on a pair. As I wrote in another thread, hopefully I get one with the "brown ring" pads, but we'll see.

Please post your views on the akg 501 when you get it
smily_headphones1.gif

I was curious about it also but I listen mostly to Classic Rock and felt it did not sound like it would work well with that music. I also listen to some Jazz
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
Please post your views on the akg 501 when you get it
smily_headphones1.gif

I was curious about it also but I listen mostly to Classic Rock and felt it did not sound like it would work well with that music. I also listen to some Jazz
icon10.gif

I actually listen mostly to classic rock and electric blues. Even modern electric blues is not as bass heavy as rock, so I thought I'd give these a try. I *do* listen to enough accoustic blues (every now and then I go through a phase of wanting to hear the old guys) that I felt I could justify the purchase, especially after the price drop.

I will definitely post my impressions. I'm looking forward to experiencing that famous 501 soundstage. All of my current cans have pretty much zilch in the way of soundstage, so it should be fun!!

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 21
So for the K501 lovers, the severe lack of bass really doesn't bother you? What types of music do you mainly listen to on them?

Sionghchan- would you say that for rock and pop, one should definitely not consider the K501 for these genres?

Feb 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
So for the K501 lovers, the severe lack of bass really doesn't bother you?

IMO there's no severe lack of bass... rather, there's a severe amount of overblown bass with most other headphones out there. The K501's bass is "quiet" on the low end and flat (no midbass hump). Otherwise, there's plenty of bass.

Quote:

What types of music do you mainly listen to on them?

Most types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back