Compare the MS-1 and AKG 501
Feb 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Forget about the bass.

This is the key quote. IF you can forget about having bass, then yes the K501 beats the MS-1. But can you really do without bass? The MS-1 provides an impactful bass that mates perfectly with that sweet midrange and smooth (for a Grado) highs, while still avoiding any murkiness. It's like saying "Forget about chocolate. Compare an Oreo to a Fig Newton." Of course the Fig Newton's going to win!
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
So for the K501 lovers, the severe lack of bass really doesn't bother you? What types of music do you mainly listen to on them?

I love my K501 but yes the severe lack of bass really bothers me when i expect deep bass
mad.gif

As for what the original poster asked though, i feel K501 betters MS1 "when bass isn't much an issue." There 's plenty music out there that i listen to that doesn't suffer much from the lack of bass (violin, viola, harpsicord, guitar, period instruments, piano forte, etc...sorry, i'm a classical fan
tongue.gif
), and in these cases, K501 is very good, especially in solo or chamber music.

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #18 of 21
Also, keep in mind that we've seen such vastly differing reactions to the 501 that I, for one, suspect the existence of different "voicings". That is, that there are 501s with bass and 501s decaf, and as far as I know, we haven't figured out which group a given pair belongs to, though we suspect brown earpads are an indicator that the phone they come with will have some bass.

If it's any consolation, follow Philodox's main K340 thread. So far they've discovered at least 3, probably 4, wholly distinct construction variants, contradictory specifications in ads, and they sound different too. So before you take sides when one 501 owner says it's a candy mint and another says "You're nuts! It's a breath mint!".... stop. They may both be right.

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #19 of 21
well, it seems that, as always happens, the ms-1s are at the head of my list, followed by an amp and source
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
So for the K501 lovers, the severe lack of bass really doesn't bother you? What types of music do you mainly listen to on them?

Sionghchan- would you say that for rock and pop, one should definitely not consider the K501 for these genres?

I would pretty much say yes, for pop and rock, K501's lack of bass really hinders the enjoyment of such music. That said, this can be slightly fixed by mating it with an amp that provides a slight bass boost. However, generally, I wouldn't go the K501 route for pop and rock. The DT880 isn't too bad for those genres however, the HD580/600/650 is a really great all rounder can..

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
I would pretty much say yes, for pop and rock, K501's lack of bass really hinders the enjoyment of such music. That said, this can be slightly fixed by mating it with an amp that provides a slight bass boost. However, generally, I wouldn't go the K501 route for pop and rock. The DT880 isn't too bad for those genres however, the HD580/600/650 is a really great all rounder can..

For pop and rock, I really enjoy the DT880 with tube amp. The tubes add liquid warmth, esp.to female vocals like Feist. If you go the HD580 route and like pop and rock, I would pair that with an SS amp. I am using a Portaphile V2^2 Max with them and it creates a fun, fast, foot tapping combo. Without a clean and fast amp, the HD580s are definitely the muddiest sounding of your list.

I also had the MS1 and now the MS2s. Unamped, the Alessandros are excellent and fun, but bright, for pop and rock. It's like listening in a live setting. But if you are looking to have long listening sessions, I would say the discomfort factor of the Alessandro/Grado design makes them very irritating. The combination of supra-aural design with itchy, hard to break in ear pads/bowls = OUCH!!! I've had to buy a pair of C-pads from Headphile as a result! (So, that's another 90$..or get flats from TTVJ fo $30).

I had the K501s for my classical cans. I don't think it was so much an issue of "lack" of bass as lack of boomy, fun rock 'n' roll bass. The double bass on Madeleine Peyroux's "Dance Me to the End of Love" was discenable and clear, just not warm or as atmospheric as it should be.

Imaging and soundstage-wise, I'd say the K501s are probably the best in your list. DT880s with tube or warm SS amp are fantastic for electronica (Listening to the "It's All Gone Pete Tong" soundtrack on them has led to my booking a vacation to Ibiza...The K501s did NOT have that effect!!), pop and rock. The HD580s, with a good amp, will be a good all-rounder, but not as sweet in the midrange as the DT880s.

Good Luck! All your choices are excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back