Comparative REVIEW: Corda HA-2 MkII / Earmax Pro / Talisman T-3H
Sep 15, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #16 of 26
Thanks for this excellent review. The description of EMP is very accurate, I have it with similar tubes and tubedampers. I think this also applies to the Corda amp, but have only heard the "old" Prehead. This is also a very unusual review, a review of an amplifier that is not yet released! (Prehead Mk II will be nearly identical, what I understand).

Moderators, this review should, of course, be put into the review section!

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #17 of 26
Nice review JaZZ!
Thanks.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 26
Pffhhhh....

That's quite an extensive review. And what you guys don't know is, that the mails from Jazz during the evaluation phase of the amps also were very detailed and precise. It sure was fun and helpfull to have all his comments.

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to hear his EMP and the Talisman so I can't personally comment on these amps, but I feel that Jazz's description of the HA-2 MkII for 100% reflects my own impressions of the amp. There's nothing to add.

However, I would like to answer a few questions that have been put.

> what kind of extra goodies (tone adjustment, bass boaster???) will be available with Prehead MKII?"

As Jazz mentioned there will be 4 discrete switches that allow a soft tone control as well as a high-cut filter. These controls can be very usefull with certain types of headphones. Actually, this is the first solid state amp that I find to sound well with the K1000. Treble down, bass up and this phone sounds really fine.

The crossfeed filter will not have 2 positions (as did the prototype) but 3 positions (Stereo, low, medium). The original PREHEAD also had a high level crossfeed but this is hardly used and the implementation would have required a much larger switch.

In addition there's a switch that allows to (de)activate the preamp output.

A gain switch is also present.

"considering the HA2-MKII is equal to a prehead mk2, and there is a slight improvement going from the HA-2 to the prehead..."

It's difficult to tell whether the HA-2 MkII sounds better than the new PREHEAD, as I never heard both in a direct A-B comparison, but I feel that the new PREHEAD is slightly more smooth and shows more authority. That's nothing unexpected, as the PREHEAD has a much better powersupply and a more powerfull output stage. Differences are small though.

Also be aware that the prototype I now have at home is the SE-version of the new amp. It has a stepped attenuator and polystyrol capacitors throughout its signal path (the regular version also uses cheaper polypropylene).

"the Prehead MkII will be available soon (?)"

Hopefully in 1.5 - 2 weeks. I'm merely waiting for the front- and backplates.

Various people have asked me whether a HA-2 MkII will appear. Of course there will, but not on short notice. It will take at least half a year before this amp will hit the market.

Another question was, whether upgrades for the regular HA-2 and PREHEAD are offered. I have to disappoint you guys though. Upgrading a HA-2 is not without risk. Desoldering a double sided PCB is quite difficult. Because of warranty issues I decided not to offer any updates. Updating a PREHEAD is practically impossible. In various aspects the concept of the new amp is completely different.

People also like to know prices. Well, due to the extra option and due to the increased prices for several parts the new amp will be slightly above the current PREHEAD bit I have not made an exact decision yet. Of course the SE-version will be quite a lot more expensive.

Just a few images of the PCB:

preheadmkIItop.jpg

preheadmkIIbottom.jpg

Cheers,

Jan

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 26
Thank you Jazz and Dr. Jan Meier for the clarifications. I can only imagine how good Prehead MKII SE will sound
wink.gif
Too bad that there is no demo program for Corda amps... otherwise it will really cool to hear one for myself for a couple of weeks at home! Hey one can only hope
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shafu
The new Corda HA-2 can drive the AKG K1000s?

Jan was talking about the new Prehead MkII. As to the new HA-2 (MkII): «It will take at least half a year before this amp will hit the market.»

peacesign.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 26
Excellent review, very thorough and well written!

I love this comment: Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
To tell the truth: on the performance level of the reviewed amps in my subjective perception no amp is closer to the original sound than say 30% compared to the least accurate sounding one. At the same time the sonic differences among them are of even higher percentages.

...seems like the language we use to describe audio gear is often competitive in nature, one component is "better" or "worse" than another. Nice to hear you emphasize sonic differences, which are more relevant.

I'm looking forward to checking out that John Abercrombie album! another great jazz album I feel compelled to recommend to you is McCoy Tyner's New York Reunion...great performance, exquisitely recorded.

May 5, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #24 of 26
JAZZ I enjoyed your review VERY much. Do you still have the Brocksieper Earmax Pro? Do you still enjoy it as much as when you wrote this nice review? lini suggested that I should look at the Brocksieper Earmax Pro. Do you suggest a specific Europe dealer? I use senheiser hd 600.

May 5, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by scale
JAZZ I enjoyed your review VERY much. Do you still have the Brocksieper Earmax Pro? Do you still enjoy it as much as when you wrote this nice review? lini suggested that I should look at the Brocksieper Earmax Pro. Do you suggest a specific Europe dealer? I use senheiser hd 600.

http://www.hifi-belzer.de -- that's where I have mine from.

Funny how much synergy makes up. With my now source, a McCormack UDP-1 universal player (highly recommended!), the EMP doesn't get much use anymore. Even with the fastest tubes I have it still sounds too slow and soft compared to the Corda HA-2 (with MkII upgrade). Thanks to its more natural characteristic it's still the better match than the Talisman (although the latter creates a more even sonic balance), but no serious competitor to the Corda anymore. I'd even say the Corda has the more «tubey» midrange, with at the same time higher clarity and transparency. And with the UDP-1 as source it sounds more natural than the EMP. This with the HD 650. I've just tried it with the DAC2: indeed the two amps are much closer with it.

For the HD 600 I consider the Corda the better match anyway. It even seems to «transfer» some of the HD 650's transparency to it, whereas with the EMP the bass is a bit bloated and soft, outshining the midrange.

And now I'm even eyeing a Prehead MkII (SE).
rolleyes.gif

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back