Comparable portable amp
May 13, 2009 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cbk9811

Head-Fier
I am looking to build a portable amp that is on par with some of the RSA and Xin amps. I was looking @ a mini 3 or a pimeta. But from all the reading i have done, i haven't got a clue to which one sounds the best. I have auditioned one of each of the manufacturers amps and they are great. If anyone has any ideas with a parts list. I would be grateful. My only request is that it be portable and battery operated.

Thanks in advance

Also the DIY threads i have been reading are some of the most refreshing and informative threads i have read in a long time. Thanks once again

May 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 12
I think the mini3 is more suitable/optimized for portable use though. It has a built-in regulator, trickle charger, battery holder, jacks, and can fit into a pocketable case.
The pimeta I think is better off serving as a small-footprint desktop amp.. the one I built is wall-powered, but I think it would go through batteries pretty quickly.

I've built both, and you really can't go wrong with either of them

May 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the mini3 is more suitable/optimized for portable use though. It has a built-in regulator, trickle charger, battery holder, jacks, and can fit into a pocketable case.
The pimeta I think is better off serving as a small-footprint desktop amp.. the one I built is wall-powered, but I think it would go through batteries pretty quickly.

I've built both, and you really can't go wrong with either of them

As long as i can put it in my back pack its okay. But battery life would matter though. As long as i can get 10-12 hrs per charge i would be okay.

May 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Anyone else have any idea's? I am thinking about building a Pimeta 2

May 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 12
There is no way you are going to get 10 to 12 hours of usable battery life out of a single NiMH 9 volt rechargeable battery in a Pimeta2.
One of the nice things about the Serpac H-65-9V case is you can quickly and easily replace the battery so.....

May 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 12
I thought i could get two of them in there and trickle charge it???

May 15, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 12
If you have decided on building a pimeta2, and want a higher battery capacity + trickle charger, you can get 9.6v and up to around 1200mah if you can stack two of something like this in your case.

May 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Pimeta 1 in a Hammond 1445J1201

pimetainsidenf0.jpg

12xAAA 800mAh in there. I find the runtime really good on this. Could have gone up to 1100mAh in batteries from the local shop but the price went up dramatically.

I have all the parts in place to build the same with a Pimeta 2. Just need the time to build it.

May 16, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 12
looks nice, i am leaning that way my self after much reading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back