Compact size amp for K1000?
Dec 13, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know about the Red Wine Signature 30, it's ideal size, but i don't think i like tube sounding amps. I never listened to a tube, but i've read what people say about their sound signature. It's supposed to be a laid back sound, more musical, just right for when you are tired and want to relax. But i don't want to fall asleep, i want to be engaged in the music, listen to all the details music has to offer, etc. If i am wrong with my description, please correct me.

ps: i know about Red Wine's 30 days money back policy, but i am not from the US...

I don't think the Sig 30 sounds "like" a tube amp in the way you're assuming, if I had to describe it to you I'd say it offers a lot of the advantages of a nice (read: painfully expensive) single-ended triode tube amp, without the drawbacks... meaning it's a solidstate amp that a even tube-lover can love. In terms of sound, the Sig 30 gives you the holographic sound stage, harmonic texture, and, to some degree, the "warmth" you'd expect from the SET amp without giving up the bass authority, speed, detail, resolution and clarity that you're looking for. It's a contender, and certainly worth considering.

Gary

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 29
The price ($850) is not small
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flying mole cA-S3,Hands down the smallest amp that drive k1000 and much better than t-amp/super t.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

I never listened to a tube, but i've read what people say about their sound signature. It's supposed to be a laid back sound, more musical, just right for when you are tired and want to relax. But i don't want to fall asleep, i want to be engaged in the music, listen to all the details music has to offer, etc. If i am wrong with my description, please correct me.

The tube sound you are describing is "bad tube amp" sound. Sure, you can find tube gear that sounds like that, but compared to good SS gear, good tube gear sounds MORE alive, more engaging, more naturally detailed without false etching, and brings you closer to music.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tube sound you are describing is "bad tube amp" sound. Sure, you can find tube gear that sounds like that, but compared to good SS gear, good tube gear sounds MORE alive, more engaging, more naturally detailed without false etching, and brings you closer to music.

Amen! I agree 100% with Jon's statement.

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 29
I heard the Flying Mole amps driving Green Mountain Audio Continuum (I think) speakers at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest two months ago and I was really impressed. I'd definitely like to hear more of them but even given the brief time I spent listening to them I'd certainly say they're worth considering.

Gary

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryAR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the Flying Mole amps driving Green Mountain Audio Continuum (I think) speakers at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest two months ago and I was really impressed. I'd definitely like to hear more of them but even given the brief time I spent listening to them I'd certainly say they're worth considering.

Gary

I borrowed this weekend a Flying Mole CA-S10 amp and tried it with my K1000 (with a Cardas hardwired) and Wadia 830 CDP. The soundstage is incredible. Detail and resolution are also improved from traditional headphone amps.

Could the CA-S10 have too much power ? I could only turn the volume up to 10 o'clock. I forgot to lower the gain setting of the Wadia.

I intend on trying out the DAD-M100 amp with XLR inputs (for the Wadia).

I am curious to know if anyone has tried the bel canto s3000 with the K1000

Dec 16, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 29
I (for one) think the K-1000's were designed to be powered by proper "class A" SS amplification. The Pass Labs amps are the penultimate hot and heavy beasts, but there is a reason they are sought after by K-1000 owners... There is no way to get around the heat that class A amps produce, but there are class A amps that are small enough to negate your anxiety. The 22 watt per channel N.E.W. A-20.1 is a good example. I ha
k1000smile.gif
ppen to be selling one in the Headfi classifieds right now... Cheerio!

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

This sort of "tube vs. SS" debate might go on forever ( and rightfully so), because what matters most in audio is system synergy and/or personal tastes. Transducer sytems will not always sound best with "good" tube amplification - the issue is more complicated than that...

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

But, in some ways I can see why you'd be tempted to generalize...

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

I know about the Red Wine Signature 30, it's ideal size, but i don't think i like tube sounding amps. I never listened to a tube, but i've read what people say about their sound signature. It's supposed to be a laid back sound, more musical, just right for when you are tired and want to relax. But i don't want to fall asleep, i want to be engaged in the music, listen to all the details music has to offer, etc. If i am wrong with my description, please correct me.

ps: i know about Red Wine's 30 days money back policy, but i am not from the US...

I don't think I could fall asleep to the Xana Deux. I was listening to it with RS-1s going back and forth between it and the Orpheus, and the Orpheus definitely had more of a "wow" factor but I would have to probably say that the Xana Deux with RS-1 was more fun and engaging -- definitely not sleepy.

Then again, that's just one tube amp.
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

What is the best compact size (not too large) and best sounding amp for the K1000?
I know the pass labs amps are the best for K1000, but they are very large, very hot and heavy. I want something smaller then F1, cooler running and (very?) good sounding with the K1000.

I would recommend the Red Wine Audio Signature 30. It is small, quiet (battery powered eliminates any AC noise) and very sweet with the K1000s. Here is a mini-review that I did of the First Watt F1 and the Signature 30:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=100

k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back