Compact size amp for K1000?
Dec 12, 2006 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Dead Ghost

100+ Head-Fier
What is the best compact size (not too large) and best sounding amp for the K1000?
I know the pass labs amps are the best for K1000, but they are very large, very hot and heavy. I want something smaller then F1, cooler running and (very?) good sounding with the K1000.

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 29
The Firestone Big Joe V1.3 ?

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 29
If you want the creme da la creme, I'd have to reccomend the Red Wine Signature 30. It supposedly has a tubey character and has an integrated stepped attenuator (I find Pass amps need preamping with tubes). Its relatively small, and I believe it runs pretty cool. Haven't heard it but its supposed to be phenomenal with K1000s.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 29
I know about the Red Wine Signature 30, it's ideal size, but i don't think i like tube sounding amps. I never listened to a tube, but i've read what people say about their sound signature. It's supposed to be a laid back sound, more musical, just right for when you are tired and want to relax. But i don't want to fall asleep, i want to be engaged in the music, listen to all the details music has to offer, etc. If i am wrong with my description, please correct me.

ps: i know about Red Wine's 30 days money back policy, but i am not from the US...

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 29
T-Amp (based) with SLAB (Sealed Lead Acid Battery) is reported to be excellent.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 29
A friend of my Brother’s Sister’s 2nd cousin’s Chiropractor’s Janitor is rumored to believe that the RSA Tomahawk* might be the best small amp for the K1000s.
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

While on the other hand I do own the CIA VHP1/VAC1 and it does a passable job driving the K1000 (Which I used to own).

* Advertised as an Amp for IEM. Not at all suitable for use with K1000s

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 29
When the inexpensive Sonic Impact T-Amp was all the rage I gave it a listen with the K1000s. While it will drive the K1000s the presentation is very bright (As in Kills small birds in flight bright) and lacks refinement. If you like a very bright presentation the SI T-Amp may be to your liking. It’s certainly the least expensive amp that will drive the K1000s.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by themystical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X-CanV2 or V3 are a fantastic match and compact too!

Can the X-Can V 3 drive the K1000 properly? Does it have enough power for this? Has anyone tried this combination?

Dec 13, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by brospin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the X-Can V 3 drive the K1000 properly? Does it have enough power for this? Has anyone tried this combination?

Yes. No - not even close... I also wouldn't recommend any headphone amp (unless the Singlepower extreme is what people have said). The Red wine amp is probably your best bet.

I think your ideas of how tubes sound are way off. I would think of them as taking the sharp edge off of solid state "bricks" rather than being layed back. If they sounded layed back, I'd be all about solid state, but that isn't the case.

Dec 13, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of my Brother’s Sister’s 2nd cousin’s Chiropractor’s Janitor is rumored to believe that the RSA Tomahawk* might be the best small amp for the K1000s.
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

You know, I tried the k1000 with the sr-71 and hornet at the nyc meet (Behind Rays back of course! Wouldn't want him to see the torturous act.) Sounded pretty acceptable, meaning I could hear sounds. Just when I approached the Tomahawk with the big fat multi adapter'd end of the k1000, Ray turned around and looked like he was going to smash my head with the spiked foot of the B-52.

Will we ever find out how those two pieces of equipment synergize? Probably never..I was darn close tho...

For transportable use, I would say the t-amp would fit the bill. Mine lasts a decent amount of time with the volume set very low, and with a pair of insignias. Im assuming if used with the k1000's then the t-amp would last many hours.

Dec 13, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 29
Super-T's a good solution, but remember you still need a preamp with that or the regular T-Amp. The Super-T is a significantly better choice, though, IMO, as it has a much, much better build quality, power supply, and noticeably more bass. Still no Aleph, but for the price, size, and temp (not hot at ALL), it's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back