Compact CD Transport for Maxxed Desktop?
Feb 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gfabbri

New Head-Fier
Hi all-

I recently went gonzo and traded my vintage Little More Power (and a bunch of cash) in to HR for a maxxed-out desktop to drive my 580's with Cardas cable.

Now I'm looking ideally for a half-rack size CDP or DVDP to feed the max DAC. I may also do a Wadia itransport, but regardless would still like a CDP.

Any thoughts? The latest Audio Advisor catalog had a pint-sized CDP, but I accidentally tossed the issue. Maybe a used XRay? Ideally I would like to stick to the $650 or less range... Until I figure this out, I'll be feeding the DAC with an old but robust Sone ES DVD player.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

-Gian

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 17
...so I'll probably start off with the Sony 7700 that I just dug out of the basement... But I'll ditto the desire for a HR Transport!

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 17
Why would you need an expensive CD transport? If your DAC is any good (and HeadRoom's are), it will have strong jitter rejection and your DVD player should be up to the task. If you want something smaller, get a portable CD player with a digital output.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 17
Actually, portable CD players almost never have digital outs ..... BUT!

Portable DVD players almost always do! Even the cheap pieces of junk like the Coby DVD players.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 17
Sony the hold out with PCDP's w/ fiber optic output has not even had their top of the line models on their site in 6 months or more. last year they went 3 months without one listed on their site before releasing the last two models with fiber optic output. I'm scared this year they are not going to have one at all.

so the community is in need for a small transport with digital output. I see head-fi members posting all the time to where they can find one..

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you need an expensive CD transport? If your DAC is any good (and HeadRoom's are), it will have strong jitter rejection and your DVD player should be up to the task. If you want something smaller, get a portable CD player with a digital output.

Good point! I'm especially hopeful given the reclocking functionality of the Max DAC. I'm not looking to blow cash for the sake of blowing cash, but I was feeling a little space-constrained. Since I figured out an alternate configuration, my DVD player will fit just fine.

It's been said so many times before, but a Desktop Transport would fill a pretty nice niche!

-Gian

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 17
I was so luck cuse I was in the same situation when I stumbled across (actual did) my old Sony portable CD player which does have optical out. I can look up the model number if needed. This player was the top of the line at the time. I also have the desktop maxed....

Max DAC + CD optical out = does NOT make Jack a dull boy!!!

Simply Rocks!!

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gfabbri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point! I'm especially hopeful given the reclocking functionality of the Max DAC. I'm not looking to blow cash for the sake of blowing cash, but I was feeling a little space-constrained. Since I figured out an alternate configuration, my DVD player will fit just fine.

It's been said so many times before, but a Desktop Transport would fill a pretty nice niche!

-Gian

Pick up he AKG's since your amp will love you for it. I own both the Senns and AKG's and I think the AKG's are more enjoyable then the Senns. AKG's transparency really shines!

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........in the Desktop line, yeah baby!

Yes I agree, although a quality transport with a philips laser mechanism like the Pro 1. It would look fantastic, Desktop with the DPS and Transport side by side on a counter.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Teac PHE300mkIII

Very interesting!! Do you have any personal experience with this unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back