Comments on Sennheiser HD 380 Pro?
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chrome147

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a pair of headphones for movies (mainly) and also music that fit my preferences which is quite difficult because I have some requirements which most people don't care about, they are:
- Oval-shaped ear cups that fit around my ears and do not go on my ears
- Leatherette ear pads (or ones that can be replaced with leatherette pads)
- No lack of bass (not super heavy bass just don't lack it)
- Closed-back
- No need for amp
- Preferably removable cord (not a big deal if not)
- Preferably collapsible
- Around or under $200, max $300

Based on my requirements I've come up with:
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

It's a shame that other quality brands mostly have small circular ear cups and velour paddings, I mean, who on earth has circular ears? It would be logical to have some kinda oval-shaped ear cups to fit human ears perfectly, I wouldn't mind the V-Moda ones if they weren't made for baby ears.

At first I was going with the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, because I really like the XL leatherette ear cups, the cord is removable, they're closed back, collapsible and do not need an amp, $160, so they pretty much fit all my requirements, the only downside is that they look boring and a little ugly. Also I don't know if they lack bass because I haven't tried them, can anyone who has owned or tried them before comment on the bass?

After discovering the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, I've changed my mind, first of all they look amazing, you can change the plates on the sides, you can also adjust the bass right on the headphones which is unique and awesome, the ear pads are leatherette although nowhere near as big as the HD 380 Pro, they're also closed back and do not require an amp, the cord is also removable, the downsides are they're not collapsible and I'm a little worried that the cups are not big enough to fit around my ears, but I'm not overly concerned as the adjustable bass and cool look really make up for this little disadvantage.

If anyone has owned or tried these headphones can you please comment if I'm wrong or misjudged certain things, compare the bass between the two, and if you have a better suggestion can you please let me know.

Thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 4
x2 HD380, it is very good, although I wonder if there are even better 'phones closer to the $300 max?  At $200 and under, you'll probably love the HD380.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 4
x3 on the HD380.  It is a studio monitor, so the frequency response is very wide; these things do bass very well (read: sufficient and well controlled, not basshead territory, however), and once with a few hundred hours on they just rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back