Coming from M50s, Looking to listen to different Cans!
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

killerfrenzi

100+ Head-Fier
Amp? Check! Dac? Check! M50s? Check! Cans to compare to M50s? NOPE!

I recently started really getting into being an audiophile since I got my Triple.Fi 10s and downloading a lot of Jazz music in FLAC. With that I started relaxing while putting on my M50s while listening to music coming out of my computer (and sometimes the cheap Onkyo receiver). With that, I thought I should upgrade my experience by buying an amp and dac.

I know own a cMoyBB for when I'm on the go and a Maverick Tubemagic D1 w/ opamp and tube modded when I'm sitting in my apartment (no more Onkyo Receiver! hah).

While I do enjoy my M50, I sometimes wonder if its the right cans for me in the $150 tier and so that I can see how my amp and dac drives different cans. So now I'm looking to skim through the classifieds for cans that aren't right for others, but maybe they'll be right for me.

So what is there that I should be trying out in around the $150 range in the classifieds?
Maybe some opens? Maybe some high impedance? Some low impedance? etc.
I've been thinking about looking for some Beyers, Shures, and Sennheisers to try out but not entirely sure which ones.

I listen mainly to jazz for when I really want to listen to music, but I also listen to [korean] pop just for whenever. (I've been meaning to expand my music preferences, but no other really intrigues me heh.)

tl;dr What cans should I look into trying around the $150 tier that may appear in the classifieds?

edit: It's like a little project for myself to circulate headphones around so that I can try different cans so money isn't THAT big of a deal but don't expect me to jump on D7000s or HD800s or something new since I want to be able to re sale for what I got them for (no flipping intentions).

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, let's see... If you were looking to try different styles of headphones, I'd suggest the following:

For a really analytic style of headphone, the KRK KNS 8400/6400 at $120/$80 are a killer choice. Their overall clarity is pretty insane for the price bracket, but their bass response is very tight and not very resonating. It should be a decent departure from the V-shaped curve of the M50s and their leaning-to-boom bass. The Shure series of headphones also fits in this bracket.

For an open headphone, the best one I can think of in that price bracket is the HD558. Pretty quick dynamics for the price, a good indication of open headphones.

Of course, there's always the unique Grado sound -- an SR60i or SR80i would easily fit in that budget and showcase the signature Grado treble-heavy sound. They're very love'em or hate'em headphones, but they don't really require an amp. They're certainly a style of headphone I think people should try, because they're affordable and high value. I've heard some people like these for jazz, but your mileage may vary.

If you can grab a vintage DT48 in your price bracket, that's also a very unique headphone. They were intended for audiometric usage and have a very midcentric style and are very overdamped for a fast transient response and little bass response. Very, very polarizing headphone. This is more for just trying the unique style, rather than fitting it to your music listening, though. 

Don't forget the orthodynamic route, too. Fostex has a nice line of cheap orthodynamics which have a midcentric sound and are very quick headphones due to their orthodynamic driver and they improve immensely with modding. Given the modding you've done, this may be the most attractive route -- the T50RP is supposed to have a very capable driver which can best headphones far, far out of its price bracket after modding. Also, vintage orthos, which are supposed to be better, often go on sale for pretty cheap. It's a completely different technology in terms of drivers and is worth a listen.

There's a lot of selection in the sub-$150 bracket.

Quote:
Amp? Check! Dac? Check! M50s? Check! Cans to compare to M50s? NOPE!
I recently started really getting into being an audiophile since I got my Triple.Fi 10s and downloading a lot of Jazz music in FLAC. With that I started relaxing while putting on my M50s while listening to music coming out of my computer (and sometimes the cheap Onkyo receiver). With that, I thought I should upgrade my experience by buying an amp and dac.
I know own a cMoyBB for when I'm on the go and a Maverick Tubemagic D1 w/ opamp and tube modded when I'm sitting in my apartment (no more Onkyo Receiver! hah).
While I do enjoy my M50, I sometimes wonder if its the right cans for me in the $150 tier and so that I can see how my amp and dac drives different cans. So now I'm looking to skim through the classifieds for cans that aren't right for others, but maybe they'll be right for me.
So what is there that I should be trying out in around the $150 range in the classifieds?
Maybe some opens? Maybe some high impedance? Some low impedance? etc.
I've been thinking about looking for some Beyers, Shures, and Sennheisers to try out but not entirely sure which ones.
I listen mainly to jazz for when I really want to listen to music, but I also listen to [korean] pop just for whenever. (I've been meaning to expand my music preferences, but no other really intrigues me heh.)
tl;dr What cans should I look into trying around the $150 tier that may appear in the classifieds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back