Coming from Ety's HF3, just bought Sennheiser IE80. What can I expect?
Feb 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ROBOTSEX

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first post.

I've had my HF3's a little over a year and while I really like the detail, I decided it was time for something new. I mainly just wanted something with a little more life to it. I think most people would agree that while Ety's are great for bringing out the detail in music, they don't have much soul. I almost pulled the trigger on some Monster Turbine Pro Golds since they're so (comparatively speaking) cheap on Amazon right now. I decided before I bought a new set I would do a little research though and actually completely wiped them out of the picture. In the end, it was between the Sennheiser IE80, Ultimate Ears UE900, and Shure SE535. After reading tons of threads on all three I decided to go with the Sennheisers.

Basically, I am just wondering if anyone else made a similar transition, or if anyone has tried both the Ety's and the IE80's and what they thought about them in comparison to one another.

Also, if anyone has any opinions about the IE80 compared to the UE900 or se535, I'd appreciate any input there also. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 7
what's the point to ask if you already have bought them
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Meh, just curious as to anyone's thought about them.

There are literally dozens of reviews on the site of the Senn 8-series, so it's an easy curiousity to satisfy...

But by all accounts you've bought the right set of IEMs - or one of the possible right sets. They have the slam to the bass that the Etys can't do and without which rock, soul, hiphop, etc are gutless. Just be careful to a get seal - try all the earpieces provided - or no IEM will do what you want. Oh, and you'll probably want to play with the bass adjustment screw. (I almost bought these myself after despairing of my Etys, but decided to go for HD25 headphones instead because my tomcat thinks IEMs are edible.)

So I doubt you'll get a lot of replies, but people will tend to think you've done the right thing. (Except for the Etymotic extremists who *like* gutless bass.)

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Just got the ie 80's and tried them out. First thought: GOOD GOD, THE BASS! I haven't tinkered with the bass screw yet, but I definitely wont be turning it up. Haven't listened to them enough to give much of an impression but so far I like them a lot. A very big change, but a welcome one. I do see what a few people were saying about the lows bleeding into the mids a bit, but coming from such a mid centric iem that was expected.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Tape over the bass tuning screw if you want a clearer more mid centric sound, but the bass still hits hard when you want it. Also get some JVC tips since all the stock tips are sucky.

Personally, I find the IE80 is an IEM I have to be in the right mood to enjoy properly, compared to my PFE112, which I can just put in and enjoy. Not figured out why though.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I saw a few threads with people talking about "the tape mod" and didn't know that the hell they were talking about, so thank you haha. As far as the tips go, I actually got a really good seal from the silicone tips that came on it. They're very similar to a pair that came on some cheap sony's I had a few years back (that I ******* loved). As for the rest of the tips that came with it, I tried them with no good results so I see why there are so many complaints about them sounding like **** without a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back