Coming from a Xonar Essence ST switching to DAC/AMP?!
Nov 16, 2009 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

crossbone

Head-Fier
Hi there!

The Last 4 Month i was using my Xonar Essence ST for outputting to my Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT770/80. However i switched my PC Setup to a Mini-ITX System and my new Board (Zotac 9300-ITX) Doesn't have any PCI Slots. Just one PCI-E Slot.

I already sold my Essence ST and tried the Onboard (ALC662) Audio for powering my Headphones. So what could i say. This is the worst sounding Onboard Audio Chip i ever listened to! Even my Netbook (Samsung N510) has at least 10 times better sound than this! Wow... speechless...

So, what to do. Here are my options:
-Get an external DAC/USB Combo (Zero DAC, Audio GD Compass) connect via USB to my PC
-Get an external DAC/USB Combo (Zero DAC, Audio GD Compass) connect via S/PDIF to my PC (onboard Soundcard)
(-Buy an internal PCI-E Soundcard for my Headphone needs, don't like this option cause i lose my PCI-E Slot which was intended for a Graphics Card!)

So. What are your recommendations on this?
Will the bad SQ of my onboard Sound affect the SQ through my Headphones if i connect it via S/PDIF? Or is it just Digital Bit perfect pass through and doesn't make any difference? Does anyone have Information about this for the Realtek ALC662 Codec?

Thanks in advance!
Ciao
Crossbone aka Matthias

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 32
FWIW, a friend of mine(who has an STX) bought this, put an OPA2132P and 2*LT1028ACN8...and he likes it far better than his STX: HA INFO NG27 - Headphone Amplifier USB - iPod - PCM2702 DAC

you can also get it directly from the manufacturer on ebay I think.

you even get bitmatched/bit-perfect KS/ASIO w/ the ploytec USB drivers, you won't miss the lousy Asux drivers
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 32
Audiophiles : A Brief Introduction Quote:

The Compass is very well priced [..] The difference against my headphone out on my Xonar STX is worth every penny. I find music now to have a wider soundstage and more detailed.

one part of this improvement lies in the discrete op-amps, a friend of mine just dropped 3 of them on his ST(my ex-ST actually)...and he's very happy so far on his ATH-900 ^^

they also made for a tremendous improvement on the HD2 in my signature...Kingwa is a real pro
ph34r.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 32
Currently there's a Zero DAC on ebay (Germany) i will try to get it. Probably will be sold for about 80-100€. Lets give it a shot then :wink:

Good thing is, i can connect all i need, my PC and my PS3 on the one hand. And my Headphones and Stereo on the other hand.

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 32
A few people also posted the STX can surpass a Modded Zero. Never mind the ST against a stock Zero. I have never heard the Zero so I cannot comment on the sound just relaying what I have read in these threads.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 32
Ever since I heard about some Zero's doing "sudden death" or frying cans, I avoided it like the plague. If you want something comparable, check out the Aune DAC.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 32
What i dislike about the Aune DAC is the fact, that the opamps are not swappable (only with soldering, which i don't like)
Another thing that is missing is a second digital in...

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 32
Oh, my fault. Just found out when buying it on ebay you have to leave a note for the seller and he will use sockets instead of putting them directly on the pcb.
Just found out there's a MK2 Version. Just has been released. It says there are some updated components, and much more important. A Power Switch. Hmm might be worth a look...

Only 1 Digital in, but has RCA in... hmhm

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 32
Nov 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 32
I am confused with those RCA Outs on the back. Will i be able to stick in my headphones in the front, and the stereo on those RCA Outs, and is it possible to use both at the same time? Or do i always have to unplug the headphones?

Is there any pre-amplification if i use the following chain:
PC -> USB -> Aune -> RCA Out -> Stereo Amp

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 32
Nov 18, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 32
I actually already found out myself: RCA does always output, as it's hardwired to the lpf filter/dac. The switch in the front is just for the headphone section.

Hmm, i am curious whether the RCA Outs are volume regulated... Or do they just output at "full power" all the time.

Thanks for your help fenixdown110 seems a nifty little dac/amp for the price. Looks sturdier and better then the zero dac i think.

Greetings from Germany

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #15 of 32
It should be at full power so that volume is adjusted from the amp. No problem.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, much better than the Zero. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back