Coming back to the hobby
May 2, 2023 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dotandvir

New Head-Fier
I've been away from the headphone hobby for a while. Previously I've had a Schiit stack (lyr and bifrost) and HE-500 headphones from Hifiman. That setup was recommended to me on this forum and I've enjoyed it a great deal.

Now my 50th birthday is coming up and music has become a much more integral part of my life. I listen to a lot of live jazz and enjoy some world music and classical (mostly solo piano, quartets and less orchestral). I also listen to other musical genres but less frequently.

My goal now is to establish a good base of a system that can accompany me for a few good years. I'm curious about the new planar magnetics and really enjoyed the hifiman arya a few years ago when I listened to it. On the dynamic headphone front I've loved the sennheiser hd-810s and could consider owning both of the above eventually.
Perhaps in a few years I would like to experience an electrostatic design.

I mostly stream music from tidal and have a very small collection of CDs (several tens) which I currently listen to from a portable DVD burner (I can hear your shouts of anguish).

In terms of sound signature, I am looking for more lower bass articulation and better instrument separation. I also miss some clarity on the top end with vocals but that is not a must.

Where do I need help? I am thinking of spending around 2500-3000 euros on a new system. I was thinking of going with a Burson conductor Reference and adding one of the headphones I've mentioned (a bit more expensive but maybe worth it?).
Another option would be to go for a tube amp (I do like the tube sound) and add a newer DAC and keep the HE-500 for now.

What would you recommend?

May 2, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 6
If you are willing to wait for its build and ship process from eastern EU, then Tor Audio Fully Balanced tube amp is a cheaper solution to a fully balanced tube amp:

https://toraudio.com/main.html#

Assuming that you mean the Sennheiser HD800 above, go with that and keep the HE-500. If anything, you should find plenty of used HD800 models for cheap and Sonova is finally making new HD800 velour ear pads again. :)

May 2, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I currently have the Topping A30Pro/D30pro as well as others. If its great for planars like the He5se but can also easily power the he6se. I'd recommend the pair highly, but the amount does get a little warm (105f on the top) if room temps are an issue. Sound is amazing, transparent and enough power on tap that bass is never lacking on anything that has it.

May 4, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 6
If you are willing to wait for its build and ship process from eastern EU, then Tor Audio Fully Balanced tube amp is a cheaper solution to a fully balanced tube amp:

https://toraudio.com/main.html#

Assuming that you mean the Sennheiser HD800 above, go with that and keep the HE-500. If anything, you should find plenty of used HD800 models for cheap and Sonova is finally making new HD800 velour ear pads again. :)
Thank you! Does the Tor Amp have enough power to drive planar magnetics? I don't know the company but excited to find out.

May 4, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 6
I currently have the Topping A30Pro/D30pro as well as others. If its great for planars like the He5se but can also easily power the he6se. I'd recommend the pair highly, but the amount does get a little warm (105f on the top) if room temps are an issue. Sound is amazing, transparent and enough power on tap that bass is never lacking on anything that has it.
Thank you, I was considering the Topping A90 and D90 combo as well. I heard the amp measures well but lacks warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back