Comfy Closed Cans
Dec 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aar0n

100+ Head-Fier
Due to an unfortunate accident, the headband on my Equation RP-21 has broken, and I'm considering a new pair of headphones. As a matter of preference, I usually go for closed headphones because of isolation, and due to some less-than-pleasant memories of my RP-21, I'm thinking I'd like my next set to be something very comfortable, luxurious even. Ideally, I'd like something with a decent amount of clamping force, soft earpads, and deep cups. The RP-21 clamped pretty hard and the cups were a bit shallow and my ears tended to press against the padding inside. Not fun. I use my headsets for a variety of purposes, including gaming, movies, and music, so I'm looking for something without too much color. (The "descriptors" I'd shy away from would be anything that's more than a little "bass-anemic" or "muffled.") Any suggestions?

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 13
They are hard to find, but a nice pair of phones for well under a hundred that can be used for a bunch of applications are the Senn HD215. And yes they are very comfortable with deep cups.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Try Ultrasone...
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Due to an unfortunate accident, the headband on my Equation RP-21 has broken, and I'm considering a new pair of headphones. As a matter of preference, I usually go for closed headphones because of isolation, and due to some less-than-pleasant memories of my RP-21, I'm thinking I'd like my next set to be something very comfortable, luxurious even. Ideally, I'd like something with a decent amount of clamping force, soft earpads, and deep cups. The RP-21 clamped pretty hard and the cups were a bit shallow and my ears tended to press against the padding inside. Not fun. I use my headsets for a variety of purposes, including gaming, movies, and music, so I'm looking for something without too much color. (The "descriptors" I'd shy away from would be anything that's more than a little "bass-anemic" or "muffled.") Any suggestions?

Audio Technica ATH-A700s, not considered Bassy, but very comfortable to have on, very light touch on the ears and head.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1001!

The D1001's earcups aren't exactly deep. They're still very comfortable though -- the padding in the inside is nice and soft
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 13
I'd highly recommend the JVC HA-RX900 with one caveat: you need to mod them a bit to get rid of a lot of the coloration. There will still be some there, but these are killer phones for the money, and fit the bill for all of your requirements.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Stax 4070 for sure.
I find them to be very comfortable, even for longer use.
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 13
BeyerDynamic DT770 2005 Premiumline consumer edition....

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 13
ATH w5000 - leather and light fit!

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Beyerdynamic DT770 '05 Edition is the perfect option. Closed, very comfortable, Deep cups, very good isolation, Zero leakage (or almost zero) and very balanced sound, and cheap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back