Comfortable headphones
Feb 1, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #16 of 34
Mav,

The Senn HD580 sound extraordinary, but they are NOT very comfy. They clamp very tightly on my jaw. Stretching them on a set of books helps though. Louis Tucci is right about the 590s being more comfortable. Actually, the cheaper Philips cans I used previously, the HP 800s, are far more comfortable than the HD 580s. This clamping issue also applies to the HD 600s and HD 650s.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 34
The ATHs are extremely comfortable, at least as much as any Senn, but really awful with glasses because they are so big and heavy. I wouldn't recommend them at all with glasses... I'd probably go with a Senn, or maybe try the CD780.

You might get contact lenses though, you should be able to get at least a years worth for $100
tongue.gif
Or if you're just listening to music take the glasses off and get something that sounds good! But perhaps that isn't an option.

-jesse

EDIT: BTW have you considered canal-phones? Ety ER-6, Shure E3c... They're under $200 (I think the ER-6 is close to 100) and wont get in the way of glasses.

Feb 1, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #20 of 34
Yeah...i've been considering that. My friend let me listen to his Shure's (the most expensive ones) and they sounded great--but they go way too deep into my ear.

Other than that, i don't think it will be easy to find headphones that are light, comfortable, and still make good sound...

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #21 of 34
The pads on the K501 sure LOOK big and I remember thinking they would force me to remove my glasses for extended listening time. But I was wrong. The unit is in fact LARGE, yet I experience no discomfort.

One thing to consider is whether you already have a preference in ear-pads. Before the AKG I was in the hunt for medium size supra-aural cans, a design that generally suits me nicely. The K501 is not that, but something else entirely. I am enjoying them plenty and may eventually prefer this particular fit, but it does take some getting used to given my original plan.

BTW, there's a high retro cosmonaut quotient to these cans, in my opinion, more so than the Grado.

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
In general, I say the Sony F1 is the world's most comfortable headphone (and you can find it for $150 if you hunt), but I don't know how well they mix with glasses.

Seconded, i've got a pair and you won't beat them in comfort, they weight 200g (8 oz) and have real soft earcup padding. And no it doesn't make a difference if you're wearing glasses or not. They are VERY open though, so they're not good for quiet listening.

at $150 minimum they're a tad over your budget but you can't get any more comfortable then these.

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by CEO Matt
Seconded, i've got a pair and you won't beat them in comfort, they weight 200g (8 oz) and have real soft earcup padding. And no it doesn't make a difference if you're wearing glasses or not. They are VERY open though, so they're not good for quiet listening.

at $150 minimum they're a tad over your budget but you can't get any more comfortable then these.

Especially since they are "super-duper" circumaural -- a ring surrounds the ear and the driver is suspended away from the ear. Sometimes I forget I have them on.

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 34
well, I wear glasses, and most superaural cans are uncomfortable after a while, because they push my upper ear against my head, and my glasses are between them.

However, my grados are comfy forever, because I stretched the headband so that they barely press laterally on my head. Excellent for home listening (light as a feather) but when I'm walking around town, they're too loose, and tend to slip and slide. I need to bend them back in a little and sacrifice quality a little.

I'd say that the Alessandro MS1 are an excellent choice in terms of quality and comfort for a home phone.

the other thing I can do is just raise the arms on your glasses over your ears. Put on your cans, then just raise the arms on your glasses until they're free from the pressure zone.

Mar 3, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #26 of 34
I'll second (or is it third?) the recommendation of Grado's. With a little headband bending, they don't need to clamp onto my head at all to stay on and sound great.

Getting comfy pads to replace the stock bowls helps comfort too, though that's not really directly related to helping someone with glasses.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #27 of 34
If you haven't already tried, a cheaper method would be to replace the stock Sony pleather ear pads with the velour ones from Beyer DT250. There will be a marked increase in comfort. Note it does change the sound, mids becomes slightly recessed.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #28 of 34
comfortwise:
1st place:
i'll give my vote for the Sony MDR F1, and as Music Fanatic said, these ARE the most comfortable headphones in the world.

2nd place:
the sony cd780 comes second beause it's like a pillow around your ears. however, one might tend to sweat more in these.

3rd place
sennheiser hd590. lighter than the hd580 and hd600 because it's made of mostly plastic (still very high built quality though!), less clamping force. simply more comfortable than any other sennheiser models.

please note that these three, despite their ranking, are still way more comfortable than any headphones i've ever tried. (to be honest, although comfort can be increased on grado phones if you bend the headband, still nothing can compete against circumaural headphones, in my opionion)

for the sound imo it'd be like senn 1st hd590, 2nd sony mdr f1( a little bit thin-sounding, very relaxing headphones), 3rd sony mdr cd780

so out of these, the hd590 might be the best compromise, it can run unamped (although an amp always enhances sound quality but you already know that). and it has a great sound.
for comfort, nothing can compete against the sony mdr f1 and the mdr780 would be the best choice if the budget is a but tighter.
just my 2cents

Mar 3, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #29 of 34
All of my headphones are comfortable, but the ATH-A900's and CD780's are the easy winners. For portable cans, either of the Eggos are wonderful.

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #30 of 34
OK, I don't want to talk about sound quality since it is very subjective.

But in terms of Comfort, nothing can beat Bang and Olufsen A8 and Bose QuietComfort 2

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back