Comfortable headphones recommendations
Sep 25, 2019 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Anachronox

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I own the Audio Technica M30x and while I’m very satisfied with their sound quality, after some time wearing them they’re getting quite uncomfortable (stock pads) and make my ears very warm.

So I decided to look for a comfortable, open-back pair up to 100 euros. I found the Philips SHP-9500 as a good candidate but I can’t find them where I live. Are there any other good alternatives that meet those criteria (comfy, open back, good sound quality and under 100)?

Two interesting options I found, are the Koss Porta Pro (35 euros) and KSC75 (30 euros). Do they worth it at those prices? I’ve read mostly good things about them (except build quality) and I was thinking that going to a such lightweight design will minimise any discomfort.

Just to mention that I listen mostly to rock/metal and I don’t like too much bass (I’ve read that Porta Pros are a little bit on the bass side). I am going to use them for gaming too, so it's a bonus if they perform well on games, but I prioritise comfort and sound quality on music.

So which one do you recommend? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot! :)

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 15
KSC75 is bassier than the Porta's. You can adjust the tightness of the headband on the Porta's, while it's a small improvement, it doesn't make it that much more comfortable. Both headphones will improve drastically with a good amp. If you commute via subway, both the koss' don't do very well isolating sound, otherwise, they won't make your ears warm. You should look into IEM's as an option. They work pretty decent during the summer, and isolate noise superbly. Some people don't like the idea of sticking things in their ear, however, some foam tips are more suitable than others.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 15
First of all, thanks for the reply!

The KSC75 bassier than the Porta? Really? I thought it's the opposite. Especially because, by design, the KSC75 are not so tight and as a result they should lose some bass. Hmm I am not planning to use an amp so do you think their sound quality will be disappointing compared to the Μ30Χ that I am used to? Also I want them for home usage, so no worries about sound isolation.

I do own the Jays One which are in-ear. They are quite bassy so I am not using them for music but in general they are serviceable. Any suggestions on IEM's? But are they a good choice for music compared to other types of headphones?

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 15
I can't comment on the M30X or any Audio-Technica's because I never owned them. After following the headfi hype train back in the day, I gave the Koss' headphones a shot. What did I have to lose? they're under $30 on sale. IMO, they sound better than my $80 IEM's I'm currently using for my commutes (Monoprice MP80). However, due to my particular needs, non-expensive IEM's are my current practical choice. I own 2 pairs, the 3rd pair I lost. Which is why I haven't purchased an IEM over $300 in ages. They're too easy to lose,

So yeah, get the headphone that fits your needs. closed back IEM's generally sound worse than open-ear headphones. If you're using them for home use, open-ear is the way to go, if you're looking for that spacial soundstage. A recent issue of an Iphone or Galaxy is enough to drive the Koss headphones if you're on a budget. After market Hi-Res players don't sound better by much. Apple and Samsung are doing a great job at pushing sound quality. I remember when Ipods sound like garbage and they still do.

My advice to you is to not buy into to much of the hype. People here will tell you a $1000 headphone setup will sound better than a $1000 speaker setup, which isn't true at all. Which is why I switched over to speakers. However, if your budget is $100, headphones will generally sound better by a large margin. The thing is, there is a certain level of diminishing returns in this hobby, and how each part synergies with the other, is more important than a companies claim of having zero distortion, magical powers, etc. etc.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the info.

Well I am not too hyped for the Koss headphones, but my expectations for them are to be practical and with good sound. I mean I don't expect miracles for 30 bucks. A few months ago I was about to switch to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro but I realised that I would be in a similar situation as I am now. Very good sound but not so comfortable. That's why I wanted to give Philips SHP-9500 a shot. And then I found the Koss which looked promising.

Hmm I've never tried any open-ear headphones, so I am not sure if they are for me. There are not many options out there too. But I will definitely check them out more.

Also I totally agree with you. I never buy whatever some companies say, that's why I do some research first. But you know, my needs are not too high. For example I might get an amp at some point, to boost the sound quality, but for the time being I don't find it essential for my needs.

So if I end up getting either the KSC75 or the Porta Pro which is the better choice regarding the sound? Also Porta Pro are not too comfortable as you mentioned so comfort-wise KSC75 are better, right?

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 15
You said you don't like bass, both the KSC75 and Porta Pro's are bassy. There are many options for open headphones, almost all the headphones you mentioned are open or semi-open, the koss' and DT 990 Pro. I have owned a DT 880 at some point. The velvet padding is one of the most comfortable pair of pillows my ears have experienced. But in your case, the velvet might add too much0 warmth to your ears, which is not what you're not looking for. The DT 880's were mostly neutral, somewhat bright, sounds pretty good with heavy metal. I believe headphones that are priced under $30 are designed to appeal to the mass public, meaning they are bassy, highly efficient/easy to drive, and have a tendency to have a V-shaped sound signature.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 15
Hmm why on earth most of the reviews mention that KSC75 are "kind of neutral" while Porta Pro's are a bit on the bass side? That makes things more difficult now as that makes them a not very good choice. By the way, I don't like TOO much bass. Like bleeding everywhere and messing around with the rest. "Normal" amount is acceptable. Of course as you mentioned a more neutral pair is preferable for my likes. Oh you meant open-back? I thought you were referring to bone conduction headphones which I am not very familiar with. Now about the DT 880/990 Pro, I've never tried them myself but I've heard despite the comfortable pads (btw I actually prefer velvet to pleather) they are still a bit tight on the head.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 15
KSC75's neutral? I tested the KSC75 and porta's side by side once, but that was a long time ago. I don't know if they changed the sound signature of the KSC75's, but the I've had like 3 pair of porta's because the cords keep getting loose end connections after awhile, and shipping them back and forth for repair is a chunk of how much they cost. The porta's sound the same all these years. I haven't had a new pair of KSC75's because they rarely go on sale, while the porta's go on sale every 5 months or so on amazon. The DT880 are a bit clamping on the head, but nothing close to some sennheiser models. A fresh pair of HD 650's will clamp your head for the first 1000 hours or so. I've stretched out my HD 650's so bad that there's a huge crack right between the headband, and gorilla glue doesn't seem to mend it together.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 15
If you are really interested in comfort and you are looking at the Beyers, I personally would suggest you consider maybe a used HD598. It's open and super-comfy. And it won't have the occasionally harsh brightness the Beyers have for some people.

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 15
@Kraegorn Well I doubt that any of the Koss headphones have recently changed. So I guess it comes to personal opinion about their sound. Thanks for your input on the DT880 too. It's just their design that bothers me as they are studio like headphones and similarly to M30x, some clamping is unavoidable. And another reason I don't consider buying them (at least for now) is that they need an amp. I wish they had a 32 ohm version for the 990 pro at similar price (120 instead of 200). Hehe I did that to my M30X but fortunately they are fine.

@serman005 Thanks for your reply too. The padding on the HD598 looks comfortable indeed! Unfortunately I don't usually buy used stuff and can't find them new (although I think they would be off budget anyway).

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 15
I like the portal pro but can find it a bit uncomfortable after a while as its got pretty sharp edges and quite tight. I must admit I prefer the Senn px100ii over them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back