Comfortable Headphone for hours of listening
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

deuter

1000+ Head-Fier
I'am looking to get headphones that I can wear for long durations without having to take them off due to comfort issues.

Will be driven by a headphone amp from Schiit , Schiit Hel 2
Budget for Headphones, Less than $5K AUD
Will be using them for video conferences so should be cosmetically acceptable.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 26
Will be using them for video conferences so should be cosmetically acceptable.
Comfortable: Meze Empyrean/Elite, Sennheiser HD800/HD800S, Sony MDR-Z1R
Cosmetically Acceptable: Sennheiser HD800/HD800S :wink:

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 26
Need them to be closed back or are open backs acceptable for your situation?

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 26
Given the amp I'am using, I don't believe HD800 would be an option?
Sensitivity of HD800S is 102dB/V. At 300 ohms that's approximately 96.8dB/mW. Schiit Hel 2 does 200mW at 300 ohms. The Schiit Hel 2 can get the HD800S to about 119.7dB peak volume.

I think 120dB is plenty loud :wink:

I've personally tried the HD800S on everything from Darkvoice 336SE Single Ended to a Geshelli Archel 2.5 Single Ended to the Schiit Jotunheim 1 Balanced with Multibit DAC. Other than a negligible amount of harmonic distortion from the 336SE all amps sounded the same and had more than enough power to permanently deafen me if I felt like it. Never even came close to turning any of the dials past noon.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 26
I think the sundaras are exremely comfortable. I almost forget I have them on sometimes. They don't get warm because they are open back, they are not that heavy and the headband is great. You can even where them with glasses with no issues. It doesn't press them into your head and hurt and it doesn't break the seal, or if it does it doesn't effect the sound. And it could be an up or a down side I guess but they have like zero isolation. You can hear everything around you in the room. Then again others can hear them as well. They are almost like small speakers lol.

As for how they look that is subjective I guess. I have heard many say they love the look. I personally think they are kind of ugly but for the sound and price I can live with it. Lots of headphones are ugly to me so no biggy.

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 26
You have a strange definition of cosmetically acceptable.
Cosmetically acceptable for a webcam pointed directly at your face. What’s important there is the width of the pads and cups.

In this regard Empyrean and MDR-Z1R look like winter earmuffs and the HD800 all but disappears.

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 26
The most comfortable headphones I’ve used are the hd800 series, the hifiman arya, and the beyerdynamic amiron home. All of those are well below your budget, and you could use the additional for upgrading your chain.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 26
The most comfortable headphones I’ve used are the hd800 series, the hifiman arya, and the beyerdynamic amiron home. All of those are well below your budget, and you could use the additional for upgrading your chain.
I appreciate the thought of upgrading the Rey in the chain, but I have a dedicated headphone setup. The whole idea with this one is to use it while working a d not having too many components on the desk else it defeats the purpose of simplicity and I will end up not using it. Hope this makes sense.

On the topic of HD 800, I have owned them twice previously. I noticed there is a HD820 now, is that better or should I get the HD 800

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 26
Big no on the hd820!

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 26
The Audio Technica ATH-R70X is very comfortable. Extremely light, and I'm a big fan of the "wing" style headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back