Comfort priority: PX100, PK3, or IEM?
Feb 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rebe

New Head-Fier
Well, what they say around here about head-fi being bad for your wallet is definitely true. I've recently found full-sized headphone bliss in the D2000, but now I can't stand to listen to my stock apple earbuds. I've also learned to hate my car speakers, but that's another story.

I have some of the Creative EP-630s, but I never found them to be very comfortable. After a half hour or so, I felt an overwhelming need to pull them out of my ears. I just don't like having the 630s jammed into my ear canals.

So, my question is, will a better-quality IEM be significantly more comfortable, especially if I get some Comply tips? I'll be using these mostly with an iPhone 3G, so I'd like a mic if possbible. I'm considering the NE-7m, Apple IEM, Z.buds, or Phonak Audeo with mic. Of these, I would just go for the Apple IEM given the price/performance, but I'm concerned about the microphonics, and the Phonak is more than I want to spend. I already spent too much on the D2000s!

The issue with the PX100 is that while "portable", they're not wrap-around-the-iPhone-and-slide-into-my-jeans-pocket portable. And no mic.

The PK3s sound like a safe bet, but no mic, and I did find that Apple buds hurt my ears after an hour or two, so I'm concerned that these will as well.

I really don't know which way to go, and I already have a pile of full-sized headphones to return to amazon, so I'd like to avoid ordering all of them and testing them out.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 9
I have small ear canals and IEM's are not very comfortable after a while for me -- but I CAN use the small tips with my NE-7M and they don't put so much pressure as to be uncomfortable.

But if you don't like anything stuck into your ear canal, then you have to stick with buds or over-the-ears. The PK3 is very good for the price -- bit strong in the mid tones, but pretty detailed for the price.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Not all people like the fit and feel of comply tips, but it is definitely something you could try. I have not heard the NE-7Ms, but they seem to be what you are looking for.

The PK3s are nice as well, but will not fulfill your needs as you have already pointed out your self. They are, however, comfortable to wear almost no matter how your ears look.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 9
If you have no problems with earbuds, go for them.
Sticking IEMs in the ears is annoying, especially if one is relaxing at home (... on the bed, in front of computer etc.)

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 9
hey antonyfirst, what's your say about the phonaks? many say they beat the er4p even the 4s due to its clarity, detailedness, deep bass, and soundstage. have you tried them? I was waiting for you to comment in the phonaks forum.
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks, everyone. I went ahead and ordered the NE-7m and the Comply T400 tips. The T400s will work with my old EP-630s as well. I can always return the NE-7m if I need to.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 9
rebe,

I would simply advise you to give them a day or two before you expect complete comfort. My ears never could quite handle my er6i's (triple flanges) for long periods at a time, but after an initial 36 hours or so of minor discomfort, I have found that NE-7m's with the small sized (single flange) silicone tips are perfectly comfortable. Hope the same proves to be true for you.

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 9
Wow, NuForce ships really, really fast. I placed the order yesterday afternoon and the arrived before noon today. Of course, I live nearby, but still... wasn't expecting them for 3-5 days.

They sound good so far but haven't had time for burn in or to find the best fit/seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back