Comfort of current Theiaudio iems?
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I was interested in trying the Monarch mk3 or at least the upcoming Hype 4. I remember trying the Clairvoyance years ago. Long term comfort wasn't the greatest experience to put it nicely.

So 2 questions:

1. How is the long term comfort (3-5 hours) with the newer Monarch mk3 or the hype series (hype 4 particularly)?

And

2. How does the comfort compare to
Um Mest mk2
Xenns Top
Letshuoer hbb EJ07m (kinda lava)?

Thanks

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 17
I too have considered the Mkiii but the issue of comfort has been holding me back. I owned a pair V16 Divinity for less than a month. They were the worst fitting IEMs I have owned. My ears began to literally hurt after just 10 minutes of use.,
Are all Thieaudio the same basic design, shape and size? Would the Mkiii be different for me?

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 17
All ears are different. Asking someone else how their ears fit IEMs (which are not yours) isn't useful for you.
In this case it is as there has been many reports that older thieaudio iems were extremely uncomfortable. When I returned my Clairvoyance (comfort issues) I read a lot of people complaining about the same thing with the Monarch OG and others.

That's why the question is valid. Did Thieaudio change the design and improve the comfort for most or is it still the same. I'm not trying to shell out $1000 only to return them. It's my responsibility to ask this question.

More like common sense if I say so

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 17
Shells are still huge (with all that greatness packed in) with large diameter stem.
Comfort depends on tips and individual's ears. I could only make it tolerable with Azla Max, nothing else worked.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 17
I was interested in trying the Monarch mk3 or at least the upcoming Hype 4. I remember trying the Clairvoyance years ago. Long term comfort wasn't the greatest experience to put it nicely.

So 2 questions:

1. How is the long term comfort (3-5 hours) with the newer Monarch mk3 or the hype series (hype 4 particularly)?

And

2. How does the comfort compare to
Um Mest mk2
Xenns Top
Letshuoer hbb EJ07m (kinda lava)?

Thanks
You are probably not going to enjoy the fit of the previous gen shells were not comfy. If your problem concerned the winglets on the Clair, the Mk3s look less pronounced, but not by much. If it's overall size, Xenns top looks pretty similar.

You might want to consider custom tips if you like the sound but don't like the fit. I suspect your experience won't be good this time either.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 17
Thieaudio IEMs have different shells and fit. I assume they are different from older models. So far I've tried:
-Monarch Mk2: Gargantuan nozzle so the whole IEM just stuck out of my ear at an angle. Worst fit.
-Monarch Mk3: Large shell with a snug fit. Ultimately the nozzle was at weird angle which made for a bad fit.
-Prestige Ltd: Slightly smaller shell than Mk3. However, nozzle is more perpendicular to the IEM and this slight change in angle significantly improved fit for me. Very comfortable.

I have weird ear canals so I need to be cautious of the nozzle angle.Usually this is not a problem with small IEMs since I can just reposition the shells themselves (not the case with MMk3 for example).
Bottom line is you can't know until you try.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Don't they all have same diameter nozzle?
My mistake as I haven't clarified properly... Nozzle (the metal part) is actually identical on all three models. Problem is the weirdly elongated and thick part of the MMk2 shell that connects to the nozzle itself.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 17
I had to return the Monarch Mk2 due to fit issues. It’s was causing pain on the pinna portion of my ear and also felt like the nozzle/tip combo was spreading my ear canal apart.

The Monarch Mk3 has a new shape. While deeper than the Mk2 overall, it is actually smaller, in terms of touching my pinna (just above the canal opening).

I now seat them as deep as possible and use medium tips (I usually don’t go as deep and usually use L or XL tips).

With Spinfit W1 medium the Monarch Mk3 is the most comfortable IEM I’ve ever used. It sucks in to my canal perfectly and is more comfortable than my CIEMs (due to the super soft W1 as opposed to hard acrylic).

The Mk3 is physically smaller than the Mk2 in the dimension that mattered the most for me, even though the Mk3 is bigger, it’s bigger in a dimension that did not affect me at all. I can even lay on my side with my head on a pillow and barely notice it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 17
I have the Monarch MK3. The shell is supposed to be ergonomic and it's pretty thick. They "lock-in" to your ears provided that you have "normal" ears. I have a little bit of cauliflower ear on my left ear, so after a while, that ear starts to feel discomfort with the iem being pushed into the ear.

What tips I use on the IEM also greatly affect the fit and seal. In my experience, Moondrop Spring Tips provide the most comfortable fit and seal.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 17
I had the Monarch Mk III briefly and they were quite comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back