Comfort of a PL-50, with a different, bassier sound signature
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Quadrophenia

New Head-Fier

Hi all. I am fairly new to the headphone world, but am getting the hang of it, and enjoying discovering headphones' unique sounds. I currently have some brainwavz, and the pl-50s, but am ready for a new pair. I generally love the warmth of the pl-50s, and the comfort which is a big deal for me, but I want some more bass.
I was considering:

-fischer eterna
-IE7
-Hippo VB (even though afraid it may be too much)
Or anything else that is comfortable, doesn't leak sound, and has nice bass to it. I am new to the bass game, so I don't want anything that'll make me feel the phones are actually in my brain, but something decent that has somewhat of a different sound signature than what I already have.

I am in France, so might be difficult to get my hands on certain things. Price tag is between 50 and 150 euro, I know, big gap, but keeping my options open.

Cheers!

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 12
If you're considering the IE7 might as well consider the IE6. It's smaller and more comfortable than the IE7 and bassier as well. Should be cheaper, too.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 12

Thanks for your reply! Btw, your multi review thread is amazing, hard to believe it's the work of just one man, unless you hire elves to work for you at night, which seeing the effort put into those reviews seems very plausible!
Do you think the IE6/IE7 would be better than the Fischer Audio Eterna rev.2? I've heard some really good thinks about both, but the latter seem to be more bass heavy, and generally well appreciated, even though I have never heard anything about how comfortable they are. 
I was also thinking something from the Jays line, even though still trying to sort out which. Any ideas?

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:

Thanks for your reply! Btw, your multi review thread is amazing, hard to believe it's the work of just one man, unless you hire elves to work for you at night, which seeing the effort put into those reviews seems very plausible!

Nope, still just me at night 
wink.gif

Quote:

Do you think the IE6/IE7 would be better than the Fischer Audio Eterna rev.2? I've heard some really good thinks about both, but the latter seem to be more bass heavy, and generally well appreciated, even though I have never heard anything about how comfortable they are. 
I was also thinking something from the Jays line, even though still trying to sort out which. Any ideas?

I don't know what prices are like in France but here in the US an IE6 costs about double the price of an Eterna and the IE7 - triple. I think the IE6 sounds a little better on the whole but not $60 better.  Both are bass-heavy and spacious but the Eterna is a little more full-sounding while the IE6 has slightly better clarity. I think the IE6 are more comfortable than the IE7 and Eterna but they are all ergonomic over-the-ear style earphones so they are all pretty high up on the comfort ladder.

I guess you'd be looking into JAYS' priciest dynamic which AFAIK is the t-JAYS Three. It's a competent earphone but it isn't quite as impressive as the Eterna or IE6.  

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 12

Thanks for your answer!
My new idea is getting a pair of Custom 3s, and a pair of Eternas, for a combined price that is similar to that of the IE7. I feel I can't go too wrong, unless they are similar sounding, and owning the 2 is just redundant...

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 12

And now I found the PFE 012 for around the same price as the Custom 3s, which seem great, but their build quality scares me. Life was so much easier when I just picked up random pairs of headphones at the local electronics store!

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

And now I found the PFE 012 for around the same price as the Custom 3s, which seem great, but their build quality scares me. Life was so much easier when I just picked up random pairs of headphones at the local electronics store!

I do believe that the new PFE 112 v1 fixed build issues. I've been considering them as well as an alternative to my W1s for more bass

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 12
Dont know about comfort levels, but the rest is music to my ears :

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=483

Undoubtedly less in your part of the world. If you need to go cheaper:

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=321

Users who are viewing this thread

Back