Comfort & Isolation for Tube
Nov 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm looking for some IEMs to use on the tube. The most important factors are isolation and comfort - as long as the sound quality is decent and the isolation is good i'm not too fussed about sound signatures.

My real question is whether the isolation comes from the phones, the tips or both? I'm really really picky about comfort and have been thinking about custom moulded tips, but would this impact badly on isolation?

My other worry about custom tips is that they're expensive and so that would come out of my budget obviously.

Any suggestions for phones/tips/ideas greatly appreciated, I'm looking at a max budget of £150 but would like to keep it more at the £100 mark if possible.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 5
If you're looking for isolation and comfort then Shure SE215 and Etymotic Research HF2/3/5 (whichever is the cheapest for you, they are the same IEM with different microphone button control things and the HF5 is without) works out best.

I've not used any Etymotic Research IEMs but I know for sure they isolate the best with only customs beating them. Some people say they are slightly intrusive with the triple flanges though but as I said, I've not tried them so can't comment.

If you get these two then you probably won't need custom moulded tips unless you have serious problems with IEMs.

I know you said that you're not too fussy about sound signatures but their sound signatures are rather different. The Shure SE215 is not very detailed (I've been listening to the RE0 too long) but it has a nice mid centric sound with some nice sub bass and bass. From what I know about the Etymotics, they are known to be very analytical with quite a lot of detail/clarity.

Personally I'm also looking for isolating IEMs for the London Underground too and although the Shure SE215 isolate very very well, I don't like the sound signature so I haven't been using them.

I've been looking at the Minerva Mi-1 customs for isolation and detail but I've also been hearing great things about the Vsonic GR07 but with those two choices, it's a compromise between isolation for better SQ. The Minerva Mi-1 customs will set you back £175 though whereas the Vsonic GR07 is £99 (this one is probably not one to consider though, it's isolation is only average). The Shures are a tad overpriced here compared to the US, they are around £80 the last time I looked. The HF2 is pretty cheap and can be had for about £65 so you may want to try them.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 5
The Etymotic HF5 isolate very well and shows lots of hidden details in music with good bass response. CK10,'GR07 are highly detailed with above average isolation and used UM3x willbe great buy too.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 5
I wouldn't get the Etymotics if you are after comfort. Ear rape isn't the most comfortable thing in the world. I could only keep double flanges in my ears for about 10 minutes max before they got irritating, let alone triple flanges.
It might however be different for you, so I guess you could try and see how it goes.

From my various journeys on the Northern Line, I found foam tips to be the best compromise for comfort and isolation. I'd go for the SoundMagic PL50s (they include foams if I remember correctly) or some MEElectronics M6 + some foams.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the replies so far...I am a little worried about the comfort of tri-flange tips. I haven't really had much experience of IEMs (the only pair i've actually owned was Sennheiser CX300 II) but I found them the most uncomfortable things ever, which leads me to believe (with my general fussiness for comfort) that I could have comfort issues. Initially I was set on having headphones only (not IEMs) but the clamping force of the ones that actually have a decent amount of isolation put me off.

Quote:
Personally I'm also looking for isolating IEMs for the London Underground too and although the Shure SE215 isolate very very well, I don't like the sound signature so I haven't been using them.

What is it about the sound sig that you don't like? Ideally I'd like fun headphones for on-the-go (like my AT ESW9s) as opposed to clinical phones, but with the new addition of maximum isolation it's likely I'll want to listen to my classical music too and I don't want phones that are going to murder that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back