Comfort check - Sennheiser HD 25
Nov 16, 2005 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Beauregard

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a set of closed 'phones and have been researching such on Head-Fi. I'm considering the HD 25 and am wondering how comfortable it is.

My frame of reference for on-ear headphones is the Grado SR60. I find the soft flat pads to be comfortable but I can't use the "donuts" for too long without getting aggravated.

Would love to hear from folks who have comparative experience with the Grados but all comments about HD 25 comfort will be most appreciated!

Thanks much,
Beau

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 23
While Don't have Grados to compare, I do have the HD25s, and I don't think they hurt. I think they're comfortable, but they're not million-dollar headphones so you can't expect premium comfort. I like them and love the sound even more.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 23
I second that.
I have ones and I think the headphones have a very good sound, and I can used them for straight hours without getting my ears hurt, so I think that's a good bet.
Anyway, you can allways ask to try them, if you buy them in a store.

Nov 16, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 23
I can comfortably use mine for about 3 hours, after which one of my ears usually starts to hurt a little bit because of the pressure. I have quite a big head though
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 23
I have both the Grado SR80 and the HD 25-1. The Sennheisers win the comfort wars hands down. The fit is pretty tight, but that's why the noise isolation is pretty good. The pleather pads get kind of warm sometimes. However, you can order velour pad replacements from the Sennheiserusa website, which should improve comfort even more (planning on doing that in the furture).

Nov 16, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 23
I don't find the Grado Bowls to be particularly uncomfortable but the HD 25-1 is my main portable these days and I can wear them for hours with nary a problem.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 23
The HD 25-1 is one of the least comfortable closed headphones I've owned, only rivalled by the Ultrasone HFI 650, and it clamps harder than the 3 Grados I've had although as mentioned before, the pad material is softer. Further, the stock pleather pads are sweat-inducing, which is a big minus in summer. The velour pads (~$15) provide good remedy for this issue. All things considered, I can wear the HD 25-1 for an extended period of time, but somehow that may vary from day to day. And I usually don't have them on my head constantly anyway since the HD 25-1's big plus is that taking it off and on is hassle-free due to the good around-the-neck-ability and one-sided cable. For activities like long train travels or home listening I prefer more comfortable options like canalphones or other closed headphones.

I find the Grados to be more comfortable (with flat pads, never used bowls pads much) but I think that's the trade-off you have to take in exchange for the HD 25-1's high portability. If comfort is one of your main priorities, I think there are better portable alternatives both portably and non-portably speaking.

Some Headfiers in Japan reported good things about the Audio Technica ES7 but apparently that thing is difficult to wear around the neck, which is one of the HD 25-1's main assests. I have not heard this headphone myself.

If you don't need portability, I'd look at the Audio Technica A900, Beyerdynamic DT 831 / DT 770-80 or AKG K271. All very comfortable with great sound but hardly portable.

A really comfortable and good-sounding semi-portable headphone is the Beyerdynamic DT 250-250 but that one will most likely require an amp and it doesn't isolate very well. Size-wise it's not big but it's not ideal for noisy and heavy-duty portable situations due to the issues mentioned.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 23
When posing the comfort question regarding HD25 we are not sure if Beauregard means the SP/BA versions or HD25-1 version. At any rate, since both headbands are made of a single layer plastic - re-shaping is easy with the application of some hairdryer heat.........so you can have as much or little ear pressure as you desire. A comfort plus for the HD25-SP(or BA) version is that the ear elements will lie flat when you hang them from your neck......and get the Velour pads for either, very nice. In short, they are certainly at least as comfortable as any other light weight set of cans.

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 23
Lisa......adjust your clamping force by flexing the headband outwards and applying some heat in the middle, with your hairdryer. Go slowly (several trials) until the amount of clamping force makes you smile wearing them for 10 hours
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 23
Thanks to all for the very helpful comments!

BushGuy - I assume I'm talking about the HD 25-1; is that the same as the HD 25 as listed on the Senn USA site?

saint.panda - Your comprehensive remarks are most appreciated. And, since my original post, I discovered your magnum opus about closed 'phones! What a marvelous effort. I'm taking my time reading through it and digesting the info in making my decision. And a bit OT - but your headphone thoughts at the end of the piece are absolutely spot on and should be required reading for everyone arriving at Head-Fi. Congratulations and thanks!

Best to everyone,
Beau

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 23
Thank you very much Beauregard. Although your comments are too much of an honour, it's a rewarding feeling to know that the review is still being used. Makes all the effort worthwhile.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #14 of 23
While the HD25 is one of the best portable sealed phones I've tried (and it sounds great regardless of its usage parameters) the clamping force is starting to bother me. The velour pads reduce the heat build-up but the clamping starts to hurt after 30 min or so (and I have a small head). The clamping is one of the reasons NeilPeart sold his HD25, and he bought my pair hoping the problem would not affect me since I am small. Unfortunately after 6 months it's time to move on - he is sending me a pair of DT250-80 for portable usage (he says the 250ohm variant is better but would be too difficult to drive sans amp). He claims the DT250-80 sounds better and is more comfortable than most sealed cans (and it's a tad dark like I prefer in my headphones) – it sounds too good to be true!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: changed my sig in anticipation!
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back