Comfort and quality?
Jan 1, 2012 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

InsomniacAttack

New Head-Fier
Hey all, my name is PJ and I'm trying to find a good quality pair of over the ear headphones... My price range is about 50-80, and I have three in mind but feel free to suggest something else. I'm looking at the Sony MDR-XB500's, Sony PiiQ Marqii's, and Sony MDR-V700 DJ Headphones.. I definitely would say I'm an audiophile as I listen to music almost 24/7 whether to sleep, personal listening, or when I'm doing sound and recording.  I've been doing sound around 9 years and my last cans broke not to long ago after 8 years of use.. I listen to dubstep, techno, and screamo primarily exempt when doing sound it's usually soft rock.. I need the comfort of the lightweight and big pads due to migraine problems and I've tried out the 3 headphones I listed in store and I know they will be ok...

Some things I NEED are lightweight like 10g or under, larger cushy pads, good bass, a little style, a reinforced thick or flat cord, hopefully a removable cord, and hopefully accessories with it such as a 1/4 inch adapter for my board..

Thanks ahead of time! Btw happy new year, I'll be checking this a lot..

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 18
Also check out the Panasonic HTF600. I haven't heard it myself, so I can't recommend you to buy it - but heck it out at least, for the money it seems to get pretty good reviews. Especially for the genres mentioned.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 18
First off an audiophile isn't someone who listens to music. It someone who puts the effort forth to listen to music at its highest lossless form available. Which is not going to happen with a 80 dollar set of headphones.

The Xb500s are bass heavy head phones with big earpads. For Dubstep they actually may be a good match. 
Akg studio 240s are very good sounding cans close to that price range but I am not sure they fit your music type

I would say either get the XB500s or maybe something like
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=sr_1_15?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1325474325&sr=1-15
or
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Lightweight-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/ref=sr_1_17?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1325474218&sr=1-17

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 18
Lets just say I'm an Audiophile on a low budget, but from the reviews these are high quality for a low price for the bass and price I want.. My last cans were about $200-250 I just can't remember what they were, I didn't buy them as they were actually provided from my employer for sound..  I figure with an eq I can do well with them on the board..

I'm checking out the Pioneers, and I'm still leaning towards the XB500's..

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I haven't heard them but Phillips is not know for their "great sound"

Maybe not great, but Philips is well known for having a good value for money.

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 18
The Phillips aren't horrible, but they're not excellent by any means. However, in your price range they do the job.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 18
Just got home with the Philips and I'm really liking them with the already 30 minutes I've used them.. I'll decide whether or not I'm going to keep them or not by the end of the month after I've gotten a LOT of listening time in.. I'll use them on the board this coming Sunday and figure that all out.. But they should be good! They're very comfortable and I honestly don't even feel them on my head right now.. Thanks for the imput guys! I'm going to keep this up as I still want some more opinions :)

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Just got home with the Philips and I'm really liking them with the already 30 minutes I've used them.. I'll decide whether or not I'm going to keep them or not by the end of the month after I've gotten a LOT of listening time in.. I'll use them on the board this coming Sunday and figure that all out.. But they should be good! They're very comfortable and I honestly don't even feel them on my head right now.. Thanks for the imput guys! I'm going to keep this up as I still want some more opinions :)

If you can, try to audition a ton of other similarly-priced headphones and do a comparo for us.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 18
Ok, I will be doing a video review of these by Sunday with some video from my board so the viewers know I actually work a board haha.. Anyway I'll post a full review of them and post it.. As well as use a few of my friends headphones like some Beats..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back