Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Panasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitor

Rated #41 in Over-Ear

Pros: Warm, Bassy, Musical, Lush, Smooth, Inexpensive, Ruggedly Built, Mech Design, Comfortable

Cons: Not high fidelity (very colored and not analytical)

Panasonic RP-HTF600 Step Monitors Big Sound with a Not So Big Price

On the never ending quest to find hidden gems out there, yet another challenger has come forth. The Panasonic RP-HTF600 Step Monitor. I try a lot of headphones. I love picking up a set of inexpensive cans and seeing if they sound good or not. Why? Because it's fun. I already have high end stuff but that doesn't mean I can't also look for something fun and great to listen to while not spending much. That also gives me the ability to listen to high end, mid-tier and entry and then there's headphones like the HFT600 which isn't even entry level in terms of cost, because it's so ridiculously inexpensive (anywhere from $25 USD to $30 USD on Amazon; and retails 40EU~60EU elsewhere it seems, so more for non-USA countries, sorry!). I never feel like I'm taking a chance on headphones that cost this. So naturally I go through quite a few. Some are worth talking about. Some not so much. This one, the HTF600 however, is very much worth talking about.

HTF600_12.jpg

HTF600_14.jpg

Quick reference as to what's contained here for the impatient:

• Closed back full size headphones
  • Inexpensive ($30 USD!)
  • Warm, bassy, musical, rich, full bodied, smooth sounding
  • Good sound stage (big angled drivers)
  • Easy to drive, and forgiving of source
  • Comfortable & solidly constructed

Why am I still clamming on about these things? Well, simply put, these headphones have a huge sound but not a scary price tag.  Anyone can try this headphone and I bet they will at least like it for what it is and likely keep it for fun, or actually use it often. I've worn mine for the past few days to really get into it and I ended up buying a second one so that I could share it with others because it's just so much fun to put in and crank up the music with. And without being humble about it, this headphone is as much fun to listen to with big warm musical sound that literally to me is more fun to listen to than some $150~$250 headphones out there in the mid-tier. Sounds like absolute hog-wash, I know. But I have those mid-tiers. And high-ends. And these inexpensive little gems. And they really do sit right next to them and I do actually listen to them. I was quite floored by them and my crush on them hasn't let up yet.

What Comes in the Box:

HTF600_11.jpg

• The headphone itself
  • 1/4" gold adapter (original cable terminates with 3.5mm)
  • Wasteful paper stuff and packaging

There's nothing really to call home about when it comes to the packaging. This isn't focused on giving you a display piece, but it does come nicely packaged and you get a nice headphone, so we forgive them for not including a sweet wooden case or something.

Specifics of this Headphone:

• Cord length 10 feet, terminating with 3.5mm, included 1/4" gold adapter
  • 50mm drivers, angled (like S-logic)
  • 56 ohms (easy to drive, no amp needed)
  • Sensitivity 100dB/mW (gets loud easily)
  • 10hz ~ 27khz Range
  • Weight 250 grams (not heavy at all, but not a feather)

Construction, Materials & Comfort:

HTF600_03.jpg

HTF600_02.jpg

HTF600_01.jpg

The HFT600 is actually a solid headphone, unlike most inexpensive models I try often. It's not flimsy and doesn't creak or squeak. It's a nice durable hard plastic unit. It doesn't have any fancy folding or bending or anything though. The cups can flip 180 degrees, but this is not a useful feature other than to make the headphone stand on its cups if you wanted. The cable is good, not too tiny, not overly large and heavy. The adapter is of average quality.

HTF600_05.jpg

The cups are padded with a pleather material that is better than other inexpensive headphones that I've tried (they're a nicer grade than SR850's I've tried amongst others for example). The cups themselves are soft, but have a firmness behind them, so they're not weak little pillows nor are they bricks. The cups themselves are pretty big, and house that big 50mm driver too which is angled. The inside of the cup has a felt across the face which is glued (but easily removable). The pads are easily removable and easy to put back on (so could be replaced, or modded, etc). The driver housing is actually nice, it's vented along the back (which helps with bass response, see mods of other headphones and they all include a bass port basically). The drivers angled and the vents combined give you a very nice sound stage considering these are closed headphones (however note, with the vents, they leak a little, and are not very isolating, but are still more isolating than even a semi-open headphone, and don't leak like a Grado). The back of the driver plates are a brushed aluminum with chrome, quite nice actually. It has a look to it that is very technical, mechanical, not organic. The cups do not swivel like a DJ headphone or some monitors. They have a degree of movement to adjust to the contour of a head, but that's all.

HTF600_09.jpg

HTF600_08.jpg

The headband has a very generous cushion on top that is very squishy and comfortable. The headband itself has a weird little addition, it has "quick fit" options with two buttons on each side for settings. Essentially it's there so that you can hold the button, pull the headband down to enlarge it, and it will stop at a preset limit based on the button you push. This is a gimmick really and I didn't find it all that useful because I will put them on and adjust them to wherever I want them and leave them that way. But regardless, it's there, and you can quick-adjust them to two preset values for headband size just by holding the buttons and they will be equal on both sides. The headband and the cups do not fold up at all.

HTF600_07.jpg

HTF600_10.jpg

HTF600_06.jpg

The cord is 10 feet long and enters a single cup, so you only have one wire coming from the left cup. It is not detachable.

The headphone is held together with screws; you can literally take it apart. This is helpful for modders.

The construction over all is very sturdy. It's made of good solid plastic, not the flimsy stuff and none of the parts are thin or tweak around, so it should survive a good amount of abuse.

Sound Characteristics:

The HTF600 surprised me. I didn't expect what was going to flow out of them. They rendered this rich atmosphere, this ambient wonderland, and took my listening pleasure from skepticism to devout acolyte. What a rich musical headphone. So let's get more into it.

Quick summary for those not interested in the long winded detail stuff:

• Massive amounts of reverbing bass. They're basshead cans through and through.
  • Bass bleeds into mids a little, but mids are not recessed in a big way.
  • Treble is very smooth, rolls off, not bright or fatiguing at all.
  • Great soundstage for a closed headphone.
  • Below average isolation, the vents are numerous.
  • Signature: Warm, Bassy, Lush, Rich, Smooth, Detailed

Some examples of music I tested that I tend to always use because I know the tracks very well: Ani Difranco (Acoustic, Female Vocals), Regina Spektor (Folk, Pop, Female Vocals), Euge Groove (Jazz, Bassy), Ludovico Einaudi (Classical, Piano), Keith Jarrett (Classical, Piano, Live Concert), Rostropovich Cello (Classical), YoYoMa Cello (Classical), The Cranberries (Pop, Female Vocals), Elton John (Classic Rock),  Avantasia (Metal, Fantasy), Buckethead (Alt. Metal), Rusko (Dubstep), Ephixa (Dubstep), JesusDied4DubStep (Dubstep), Robyn (EDM), BT (Trance, Techno), OceanLab (Trance, Techno).

Hardware used ranged from my Droid Incredible, Sansa Fuze, Asus Transformer, Vivid V1 Technologies DAC/AMP, Matrix Cube DAC and Schiit Lyr. Note, I did not find any significant difference when juicing anything up with them. They're easy to drive and are pretty forgiving of source so it wasn't a big difference from piece to piece, the idea here is just to express that they work on all these things pretty much equally so you can use them on basically anything without worry.

HTF600_13.jpg

Treble (highs):

The highs are very smooth. The headphone has detail, not a lot of congestion up here, but they're not transparent or airy like a detail monster or analytical headphone might have, instead, it's just a nice smooth listen that gives you enough treble to know it's happening, doesn't sound like it's distant or damp, and isn't spiking enough to fatigue you. No sibilance at all. I listened to different synth sounds, female vocals, drums, guitars, etc, and the treble was great all through it with no point where I felt I was missing out on treble or had too much. It literally is just a good smooth listen. The detail is surprising though, it's not a dark headphone to the point where you don't hear what's going on. I was hearing little things in recordings  of Cello works that I adore and it was just there, crisp as ever.

Mids:

The mids are not recessed to the point of notice, which is contrary to most bassy headphones. The bass bleeds into the mids a little, so you will hear some weight added to certain tones in vocals for example I found. But it's a warm sound, it really comes out and grabs you. It's a very organic, lush, full bodied sound that makes you feel like you're listening to music for pleasure, not analyzing it, not being critical. It's all musical here. Plenty of detail going on. I was surprised that female vocals were so musical here, even with some heavy bass pulsing behind it. I was able to run any kind of music through this headphone because the mids are strong enough to present it. Rock, Indie and Jazz were really pleasant and I felt like I had the right headphone on for the job. A good indication of being a decent all around headphone. Guitars were rich and ripping. Vocals were angelic and lush. Instruments were full bodied and just bloomed all over. There was good separation of sound too, it wasn't a congested mess of bleeding everywhere which surprised me.

Lows (bass):

The bass grabs you by your jimmies and rustles them. How about that for a description. This is basshead headphone. I directly compared it to the XB500 because it's an inexpensive bassy headphone too. The HFT600 sounded like the XB500's bass, very similar, a slight edge maybe going to the XB500, but in return for that, you get all the mids & treble that the XB500 has a big veil over (without equalization). I was quite surprised so much reverbing low bass was pulsing out of these things while still having great lush mids and smooth highs and no equalization going on to balance anything out. It completely replaced the XB500 in my book in all ways which some may not agree with, but as an entire package, it surely did, especially considering it's cost. The bass goes low. There's a mid-bass hump, but it can also hit those low sub bass frequencies with authority which really impressed me and made me think of a Denon. This kind of bass makes pleasure listening for someone who appreciates a good reverbing blooming pulsing bass rumble just grin from ear to ear. It adds immersion to gaming too which was really fun. And it makes movies sound a lot like how they present in theaters (rumble!). The bass is not, however, so out of control that you can't listen to soft acoustic--I tried that too and the bass just added body to the end of a sound, but didn't take over to the point where you felt like it was going too far. It was a very pleasing experience, and the bass presence is just commanding. Officially stamped as basshead approved headphones.

basshead_logo.jpg

Isolation:

There is not a lot of isolation, they're below average with that, they do leak a little more than your typical headphone, however they don't leak like a Grado. I would say they're just below semi-open in terms of leaking sound. So if isolation is critical, this could be an issue. And if leaking is critical, this could be an issue. There are a lot of vents, and they let the sound leak out a little. It's feint, and someone in the house in the next room isn't going to hear it. But someone next to you on the train or bus will hear you likely (let 'em riot). They do isolate on the inside sufficiently where you don't hear a lot of what's going on outside of the headphone (for example, with music playing, I don't hear my keyboard slamming and clicking at all, only when the music stops; I don't hear the AC, I don't hear a fan, if my phone rings, well, oh well I missed it hah).

Soundstage:

The sound stage is pretty good. It's not your typical headphone that is closed. Like Ultrasone's S-Logic, the big drivers are angled (the AD700 does this too for sound stage for example). Combine big angled drivers with a nice big open cup and some vents and you get a nice sound stage. Separation and distance is good, it "sounds right" so to speak. Not cramped, but also not wildly artificially expanded either. I found it pretty good for gaming even, the imaging is good.

Gaming & Movies:

We don't typically think of closed headphones for gaming, but if you're into immersive gaming and watching movies on headphones with some privacy, these things do it great. The soundstage gives you a good sound field to fill up. But the bass and immersion and musicality of the headphone really lends to having a really full bodied experience in games. So if you're into games like Skyrim or watching movies like Dark Knight, these headphones will give you goosebumps. Excellent for gaming (read: varieties other than competitive online-foot-step-listening) and wonderful for movies.

Comparing To Others & Closing Thoughts:

HTF600_15.jpg

Here's the section you love or hate. I really don't like hearing "Giant Killer" used, but it's so popular to say it, it's hard not to use it in some fashion. Are these going to topple the big analytical detail giants of the mid-tier and high-end spectrum? No. Not at all. But will it compete for pleasure listening? Absolutely. You may sneer and think I'm totally full of fecal material, but I absolutely adore listening to these headphones and don't always reach over for my HE-500's. Next to some D1100's, I was impressed how similar they were. The Pansonic had more bass, but had smoother treble, while the Denon had a tad lower bass volume and brighter sounding treble. I totally preferred the sound of the Panasonic here. I already compared the XB500 to it, and like I said, I really think it completely replaces the XB500 for an inexpensive basshead can in every way (equivalent bass levels, better mids, better treble, better sound stage, better build and comfort overall for me and better cord). It's very energetic, and reminded me of the kind of energy that a Grado gives me, so naturally ran it up against some SR60's and a SR325, the bass completely overshadowed the Grados, and while the Grados had more mid-centric sound, the Panasonic had more sound stage and was warmer and less fatiguing while still having a huge amount of energy. I couldn't even stand to listen to the AudioTechnica ESW9 & M50 after listening to the Panasonic. It completely was way more fun and musical, though the ESW9 was actually a lot more fun to listen to than the M50 (which is sterile and bleh). Previous budget headphones like the Kicker & Monoprice? Forget about them. This thing eats their lunch. These are not giant killers. They are not high fidelity in the slightest. Let's get that straight. But they are absolutely david when it comes to pleasure listening for someone who wants a warm, bassy, musical and smooth listen for having a great time with music. I'll get completely disregarded for it, but these are like a little HD650. Seriously.

Pad Modification (Optional):

By the way, the Beyer velour pads came in today. They're a perfect fit.

I have two sets of Panasonics RP-HTF600 Step Monitors. I just fitted these pads which work on several headphones in terms of size on a pair of the Panasonics. It's a perfect match. Fits like it was made for it. So no worries about it slipping or being loose or having to mod or do anything. They just slide right into place no problem at all without any extra modification. Simple swap.

263

Comfort: Absolutely comfortable. Beyer Velour is just wonderful. I loved all Beyer headphones I've worn. I'm also a big "velour" fan, as I actually dislike pleather. I only stoop down to pleather when I am forced. And even then, it's only indoors for me because I do not like sweaty ears/head when wearing pleather headphones outside (my portables are always velour due to that, or at least, most of the time). These feel great. They fit just like the stock pads, but they're a nicer material, comfortable, soft and feel even better on my glasses frames.

Sound: Ok, they do have an impact on sound. All pad changes should because it changes how sound is absorbed and reflected, so it changes the end dynamic in your ear folds and reflects differently there too. So no matter what, it will sound different. The question is, do you lose good qualities, or do you get a neutral change, or do you get a positive change in qualities of sound.

Bass changes: Insignificant. Seriously. The bass is still impactful, low, and reverbing. That is awesome. So changing to velour does not effect the warm bass of this headphone in an appreciable way. I tested bass with some dubstep drops and some Cello over and over at the same perceived volume level to test it.

Mids changes: I swear that the bass bleed falls out of the mids, so the mids sound a little less warm and instead have an edge of detail on them. This can be a pro or con depending on what you're looking for. For me, this is an excellent change in the positive direction as this headphone now sounds more balanced actually and the clarity sound comes from the detail shift. I tested this with female vocals and piano (Tori Amos specifically).

Treble changes: Again, the bass is still tremendous and warm, but the highs feel like they lost some weight and became more tight and detailed, instead of being warm and smooth. Now, they're edged. It's not bright or fatiguing though. It's still a smooth listen. But it's not overly smooth to the point of sounding damp. I tested this with some guitar, cymbals, and some really high pitch female vocal with a lot of consonants (some French stuff that I listen to).

Verdict: I think the mid-bass hump gets tamed by the velour pads, therefor you keep the big sub bass hits that we love, but the mid-bass stops bleeding as much into the mids & highs, which results in a more balanced sound. I would call this an improvement. Even though I love the stock sound, it's so warm and musical, I also like a more detailed and clear sounding image. The velour I think takes the mid-bass hump down a notch. I just played with an equalizer to confirm this suspicion and felt like I found the same effective sound by dropping 220hz, 440hz and 622hz 2~3 dB. There's the hump by guestimation from previous thoughts on the matter of frequency response (as this headphone has an obvious mid-bass hump).

Velour pads are an excellent change. Reduced mid-bass bleed. Increase in clarity and detail by a notch. Retains sub bass slam and reverb. Still warm and musical. With the velour pads, the headphone's sound, as a combined package (costing new $50 total shipped) sounds much like $200 headphones I've sampled and have/had and feels like them too. This headphone is reminding me heavily of a mix between a DT770 and an HD650, but $50, and no amp needed, and inbetween fully open and fully closed so sound stage difference. I still feel this headphone has a great sound stage for it's closed nature and considering it's cost (when I compare to closed headphones that are fully sealed and do not have angled drivers, which have next to no sound stage I find, these things have quite a bit better sound stage).

Recommendation: Get the velour pads folks.

This headphone reminds you to enjoy the music. For the cost, you should definitely try one!

HTF600_17.jpg

HTF600_16.jpg

HTF600_18.jpg

325

Very best, basshead.gif

Pros: Price, Sound quality

Cons: Colored, veiled, needs a little extra power

Getting Started

Forewarning I'm a neutral fan and don't like colored or veiled sound, please take that into account. Also My ratings are based around the price - for the money these headphones are undeniably out of the ballpark.

The sources used for this review are my SLS audio receiver qv-avr500 (respectable onboard amp) and straight from mp3 player (this is a budget headphone afterall)

PACKAGING

Exceptional - presented like a 100$ headphone and protected well from damage (ordered these online) certainly a better looking package than what came with my ATHM50

Contains the headphones (Circum-aural) with quality pleather pads (very similar to M50) 10ft cable (straight and a little thin, but on par with headphones twice the price) 1/4inch adapter (gold) and standard 3.5 (gold)

BUILD/COMFORT

Light and feel neither delicate or sturdy (a great deal of plastic). Great padding, very comfortable (your ears might get warm after an hour or so) They certainly feel like more than 30$ and are infinitely more comfortable (and attractive) than anything in the Sennheiser HD2xx line

SOUND

FROM RECEIVER

Warm and full - very detailed (not just for a $30 can, but for a CLOSED can). Imaging is fantastic and adds great depth to the music. The highs were slightly sibilant when I first used them, but they mellow after a short burn (20 hours)

The Mids were slightly recessed, and vocals felt veiled - certainly the biggest shortcoming here, but still, nothing to really take off for - it doesn't effect the music in a negative fashion - but you WILL hear a difference between this and a high level can.

The low end is excellent - tight and punchy or low and boomy, whatever the music calls for. While its not the bassiest can in the world - its enough to make me label this a BASSHEAD headphone. However (being a neutral fan) I should point out that this doesn't sound bad to me - its just not a personal preference

Overall they sounded fun and inviting - WELL worth the money

SOUND

MP3 PLAYER

Vocals and Mids are more forward - bass is less warm and in less quantity - the detail remains largely unchanged. The highs feel more energetic and the headphone takes a more neutral sound

I find it enjoyable - but it sounds better out of the receiver (making me certain that these will want some form of amplification)

CONCLUSION

For 30$ you can't beat it - the #1 competitor in this price range is the Senn HD202...and its vastly inferior headphone

If your new to HiFi sound, or are a budget can junkie - check these out, they are well worth the $$$

(I'll be editing this in the future by adding additional sources/amps)

All recordings used were in FLAC or 320k Mp3.

Pros: Warm musical tone, large quantities of bass, fun sounding.

Cons: Lacks detail & clarity, leaks sound.

I decided to purchase these headphones after reading the large thread that was praising them greatly. I was in the market for a budget basshead pair of headphones, so it was a logical decision. As soon as I received them, I used them as my primary headphones for a week, while burning them in during the night.

My initial impression confirmed that the tone was very warm, musical, and colored. They were pleasant and non-fatiguing to listen to, with a very nice soundstage, and were a massive comfort improvement over my Grados. I did notice a large amount of sound leakage -- it was nothing like a Grado's sound leakage, but it was apparent. These are more semi-closed headphones than they are closed. They felt like an improvement over my more expensive, more analytic cans for genres like electronic. I quickly grew to like them. I compared them against a friend's M50s and decided that, although the M50s had a definite edge, the RP-HTF600s held their ground surprisingly well. I decided I liked the headphones enough to warrant purchasing Pearstone Velour Pads for them. They fit very nicely and improved the comfort to a 5 star rating.

Over time, though, I found myself missing the clarity and punch of my more expensive headphones. By the end of the week, I had switched back to using the Grados as my primary headphones and left the HTF600s as my on-the-go/when-the-Grados-start-feeling-uncomfortable semi-open cans. The best way I can describe how they sounded by comparison is that the HTF600s sounded like they were playing through molasses -- the attack and decay was not very quick. When I played very high-paced bass lines, like those seen in Dark Psytrance music, the HTF600s could barely keep up and the notes were difficult to separate. the more technical features of the headphones were very indicative of their price. The RP-HTF600s are no giant-killers, but they brought a lot of value for the price.

Bottom line, for someone looking to try a pair of bassy headphones, these are an excellent starting place. They are easy to drive, forgiving of source, comfortable, and have a musical tone. They offer a high amount of value in the $30-40 price range, but I feel like they begin to start getting outclassed beyond that -- despite the rave reviews of the HTF600, I would not personally buy them again if they are priced outside of that range. I love the returns I got on this headphone for the price, but try to avoid many of the hyperboles offered by the HTF600 fans at Head-Fi.

4/24/12 Retrospective:

These headphones no longer get any head time from me anymore, really. The budget headphone market has expanded since these first became FotMs. I still enjoyed the purchase, but I dropped the value score on this headphone from 4 stars to 3.5 stars and the overall rating from 4 stars to 3.5 stars.

Just remember that these are semi-open headphones with some sound leakage and that they are not the absolute highest fidelity for the price. The Monoprice 8323 and the Incipio Forte F38 are, at this time, both technically superior headphones at a lower price.

Pros: light on the head very comfortable for long use 50mm drivers for 45 dollars

Cons: need a good dac

for the money there are very good closed headphones

Pros: Fairly neutral and comfortable, Rugged Build even if it's made of plastic, good soundstage

Cons: Bass is not tight. Treble is too soft, mid's a bit recessed

Panasonic RP-HTF600 is one of my first open headphones and because of that I was easily amazed with the openness of its sound signature. For $30, it would be hard to find a headphone of this same type that is as good as this. The headphone doesn't fail in any major way yet still manages to impress me on plenty of ways.

Build Quality

I expected this to be flimsy but it isn't. It surely is made of plastic and the earcups are made of synthetic materials but even then, I won't call it easily breakable and uncomfortable. Cable is thick, long, single-sided and not removable. I find the cable being long as a convenience since I sometimes use this in my office.

It isolates some and it doesn't leak plenty, both of which are perfect for an office environment. As it's marketed for studio use, I don't think isolation is good enough.

Sound Quality

Now, on to sound. The headphone overall, with the exception of slightly accentuated bass, has a neutral-dark sound signature. The bass isn’t overwhelming at all however in listening you might find the tonality a bit on the dark/warm side. Bass lacks tightness and is too soft at times.

Mids overall are balanced although they can sound a bit distant at times but not recessed. There’s a warmish tilt that can make the lower mids sound prominent however going to the upper mids, the quantity becomes a bit recessed.

There's plenty of treble but is not very refined. It sounds soft as well which makes it not sibilant and fatiguing. However, it's hard to find a headphone that has 'decent' treble presence for the price point

Soundstage is very good because of it’s open design. I find it larger in width and height than the Superlux cans I tried. There’s a great sense of air and space to it and while instrument separation is below average for an open headphone

Overall, the Panasonic cans are a very good sounding headphones especially for its price. Heck, even better than some of the more expensive ones.

For the full review and pictures, see my post my review here: http://www.headphone.ph/panasonic-htf600-review/

Pros: Lush, clear, rich, musical, comfortable, versatile, perfect bass, price, effeciency & power

Cons: Ear Warmth, Quick Fit buttons (what do these things even do?)

There isn't too much to say about these phones beyond what MalVeauX has so eloquently stated. His review played a strong part in my decision to get these cans, and he was quite simply correct on all fronts.

The Panasonic RP-HT600-S is an incredible headphone, and IMO an all-rounder fit for a king. Reviewing a headphone can be a little like reviewing food at times; everyone enjoys different flavours. All I can say is that for me, personally, this headphone nails my preference in sound to a tee and should hold at least some level of appeal to most listeners.

If you tick at least 3 of the following boxes you should go buy a pair immediately:

∆ Varied music tastes
∆ You would like a headphone that is kind to its source when required (Local bands / artists, YouTube videos, etc), yet clear and detailed on higher quality sources
∆ You enjoy Bass, yet don't want it to come at the expense of Mids and Treble
∆ You find excessive treble fatiguing to listen to
∆ You enjoy lush, rich and open midrange reproduction
∆ You are in some way curious about the level of sound and comfort that can be had for very little money
∆ You want a headphone that's efficient, ie sounds good straight out of your Macbook, iPod, Mp3 player, etc
∆ You enjoy the things you like, and are particularly partial to the feeling of happiness

Some thoughts on the phones as general package:

Comfort & QC:
These are light with a low clamp force on my somewhat smallish head. Very comfy yet prone to ear warming. They don't feel like they would survive a lot of abuse, which is as much a function of their lightness as anything.

Isolation:
Not their strong point, although I like the fact I can hear the world around me to some extent.

Packaging:
Was nice. Functional but nothing flashy.

Sound Signature:
It's all been said perfectly by MalVeauX so I'll keep it brief.

The bass is strong and reverberating but not overwhelming. To my ears it is a perfect balance that requires no EQ'ing. As Goldilocks would say: "It's just right".

Mids are a real strength. Open and spacious. Rich and lush. I normally listen to music while I'm doing stuff. These phone reproduce music so sweetly they will simply command your full attention. I've been spending plenty of time lately simply lying in my bed enjoying my music with closed eyes. Too much time perhaps. I think my friends and family are starting to wonder if I'm OK wink.gif

Highs are just perfect for me. I find bright headphones to be a) fatiguing for long listening sessions and b) unkind to certain sources (the Smith Street Band's first album is a masterpiece recorded on a shoe string budget - I don't want a treble focused headphone shining a 1000W spotlight on all it's frailties). The Panny's are rolled off up high, but the effect is not over done. They are smooth, not fatiguing, yet detailed enough for my tastes. I never feel like the treble is missing. Perfect judgement from the Panasonic engineers.

Soundstage is great. With the Pannies on my head there is a feeling of openness, spaciousness. The sound is lively and deep. Engaging and natural. These things rock!!

Final Impression: I paid $55 AUD to get a pair shipped to Australia. I would consider this money extremely well spent. I frankly couldn't be happier with my purchase. If Panasonic doubled the price and released an updated version with Velour pads I'd buy one immediately. I've listened to a fair few of the more expensive phones in stores - mostly from the Sennheiser range and the Monster Beats. Listening in store to music I'm not familiar with is an imperfect scenario - yet every time I heard one of those cans I could easily identify an aspect of the sound I didn't like. Some of the Senn's were overly dark, some lacked bass, some had a small soundstage, etc. The Beats were muddy and bloated - horrible voicing IMO. Nothing sounded "just right". All of them were priced from $100 through to $300+. Yet this budget pair of headphones from Panasonic offers up a sound I would describe as approaching perfection for my array of laptop listening needs. It is kind to YouTube videos, outstanding for a wide array of music, great for movies and best of all - extremely efficient!! No amp needed - so my lovely old Rotel doesn't have to follow me out to balcony for study sessions. I'm a happy man! If these cost $100 dollars I would deduct half a point from a perfect score to account for the ear warmth being a minor annoyance. Yet the RRP of these phones is almost the same as the cost of buying Beyer Velour pads to replace the stocks. Incredible! Let nothing stand in the way of me handing out my ultimate seal of approval: 5 Stars.

Thanks to MalVeauX for his review of these phones which initially caught my attention.

Happy listening to you all! biggrin.gif

Pros: Great sound, low cost

Cons: Not ideal for "active" listening

This is truly my first foray in to high end headphones.I bought a pair of Klipsch Image Ones after listening to them at Best Buy and being pretty impressed with them initially.  Shortly thereafter I discovered this forum and got curious about better headphones.  I went to Echo Audio here in Portland and quickly realized I could spend more money than I cared to.  After doing a little digging here I stumbled on these Panasonic phones and couldn't be happier with them.  They sound great and I can't believe what a good value they are.  It's gotten to the point where my wife steals them all the time because she thinks they sound great too.  Couldn't be happier with them and I laugh now when I see someone with Beats phones because I know I have as good a set of headphones and paid a fraction.  Thanks HeadFi.

Pros: Soundstage, bass, signature, comfort

Cons: Price(depending on where you find it), too forgiving

great bass. especially the mid bass is superb and delicately punchy... no bleed to my ears

very clear for a bass heavy headphone

they sound warm and overall very easy on the ears...supremely forgiving....great clarity ..

beats my xb 500 in almost everyway.  bass is very well layered and faster than sennheiser hd 428 and xb 500. also shows equal layer and extension in bass to xb500, at the same do not sound bloated like the latter

treble is enough not to complain about..  I dint have my usual treble checking tracks but i can still vouch for this....(eq might help here)

mids sound warm but i dont find any particular bleed...

satisfying soundstage with good height and nice width... again better than the xb 500s..

the mrp of this is 4k inr( around 75 dollars) and thats not really a steal...but price depends where you find it

if you can get it at 40 dollars a pair, these hold the best value i can think of but 75 dollars is still high ...

to me it sounds much more realistic and convincing in portraying depth and layer in comparison to similarly priced sets like the hd 438 by sennheiser. Provided, they are super comfortable I would pick these up against similarly priced cans like the ones mentioned.

isolation is subpar to average - as good as the xb 500 if you ask me.. but not as good as the ultra-budget friendly hd 202 by sennheiser.

overall the signature is warm and the bass compliments the mids but bounce about high and big when called for.. treble is good but resolution and detail can as well be considered a contribution of the size of the soundstage and overall clarity which gives the sense of perceived detail(imho)

cheers

Pros: Very nice bass, good high's, comfortable, good soundstage

Cons: Slightly recessed mids, semi-open design

This is my second pair of great headphones that i bought for $30, the first was a pair of refurbished Senheiser HD 428 headphones that I feel cannot even compete with these.

Lets just say before we start with the review I do not grade my headphones based on other headphones ($500+) but rather on headphones within or around the price category that these are in.

The Sound:

Lets start with the lows. The bass on these is beautiful, that is the only word I can use to describe it. Online the HD 428s and many other headphones that have something a lot of people call "one note bass", the bass on these is everything but that. On top of being very "variant" the bass is still very controlled however sounds just a tiny bit muddy, however not nearly as much as the Klipsch S4's. I think this is the best sub $50, maybe even $100 pair of headphones for bass heavy music like dubstep.

The highs, while not as surprisingly good as the bass, is still very good and something you expect from a $50+ dollar pair of headphones.

The mids are where these headphones are lacking. The mids are a bit recessed and sometimes I find myself raising the volume to better hear certain parts of my songs however when it comes to genre's that I feel these headphones are made for (mostly electronic music) the mids aren't much of a problem at all.

So in all these headphones have a very FUN sound signature which is what I've been looking for in headphones for a long time now. I want to enjoy my music not by hearing everything there is to hear but by being enveloped in the music and enjoy the sounds more.

Lastly, I just want to say that these headphones have a good soundstage. Combined with a good low end and these headphones already have earned some reputation in the gaming community.

Build Quality:

Build quality alone these headphones have blown me away, and I'm not being one of those people that just upgraded from apple buds and thing that their new headphones are the sh!t. Compared to everything I've seen for up to $50 dollars, these are the best. The whole body is made out of a solid feeling plastic that while you'd think feels cheap as a while structure feels very sturdy. The headband is wrapped in a synthetic leather which is a very nice touch and the ear cups are also made out of the same leather material. Speaking about the ear cups, they are very soft and are top notch quality. Only con to leather pads, like always, are sweaty ears after a while of listening. Would I pay extra for better build quality? Most certainly but I am yet to be displeased with the headphones.

Panasonic entered my world of headphones with a bang. I still cannot describe how happy and after weeks, still shocked at what $30 got me.

Pros: Strong bass, lightweight, cheap

Cons: Material feels cheap, overpowering bass

Initial impressions:

I haven't had much time with them yet (maybe 20 minutes) but right off the bat I was impressed with their sound. I've been letting them burn in for the past 6 hours and will continue to do so overnight, but then I'll try to do some comparisons between my other cans.

A couple things I did notice were that the bass was not as overwhelming as I anticipated, and it is more of an open design than a closed one. The bass is definitely present and there is plenty enough for dubstep of electro; I think I just read so much much about these that I expected it rumble my whole head. The bass is strong and will play bass heavy electronic music quite well. Also, while these headphones appear to be closed, there are several vents on the outside which make it more of a semi-open/open design. These have a lot of sound leakage, and aren't too great at isolating, but I think this design is what provides the wider soundstage. These phones sound much more airy and refined than other near this price point.

Second opinion:

They are pretty good. They are definitely worth their cheap price tag. I let them burn-in for about 30 hours with pink noise and haven't heard too much of a difference. They are definitely bassy, a bit boomy for my taste, but then again my current cans are very balanced and a bit weak on bass. Mids seem a bit masked by the bass at times. Not necessarily recessed, but maybe just a bit of bass bleeding into the midrange. I haven't played any games with the so I still can't help on that end.

My only current worry is that they feel somewhat cheaply made due to all of the plastic. I feel like I need to be gentle so I don't accidentally damage them. The comfort is also decent because they are so light, but if you end up liking these, I would recommend trying the velour pads if you can get some.

Overall they are definitely quite nice and I'd recommend them if you like bass. They don't compare to my other pairs in terms of clarity, balance, or detail, but the price tag doesn't suggest that they should nor are they advertised as doing so.

Edit:

I did the paper towel mod where you place a paper towel under the ear pad to create more space between your ears and the drivers. I did notice a slight increase in soundstage. Bass may also be slightly stronger now. Overall not a huge change, but I'd recommend it as it was very easy and can easily be undone.

BindingElectronics
BrandPanasonic
EAN0885170045644
FeatureLarge diameter driver units 50mm (1-15/16")
Height9.8 inches