Come on Vista, I wish Sound sounded the same as XP!! (pictures)
Jul 23, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it depends on the card, theres an issue where vista affects music, some sound devices with "unsecure" audio outputs have the quality reduced,

What is an unsecure audio output and under what conditions do you get the audio quality reduced?

I thought everything that worked in XP works the same way in Vista. Only new applications that would not even run under XP could trigger this quality reduction. Is that wrong?

Cheers

Thomas

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #18 of 32
Yikes, all the "I read this" and "I heard this" and "I bet that" posts are scaring me...what a giant rumor machine the internet is turning into. Please take any posts that contain these words with a few thousand grains of salt.

I used XP for quite awhile with my current setup, and I'm now using Vista (Home Premium upgrade to my existing computer). Vista sounds the same, if not better, to my ears, using both my headphones and speakers.

The one constructive bit of information I'd like to throw in here (which I haven't read anywhere else, amazingly) is that, with my USB DAC at least, using the Kernel Streaming output from Foobar2000 eliminates all measurable computer overhead (based on what I'm seeing in the Task Manager...the culprit with regular DirectSound output seems to be something called the "audio graph" process). So I recommend trying Kernel Streaming or ASIO output, if (and only if) you are experiencing clicks and pops (especially while running other applications, particularly ones that are generating sound). This Kernel Streaming mode seems to be exclusive, by the way (i.e. once I start using it with Foobar2000, I can't get any other applications to make sounds until I stop Foobar2000).

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes, all the "I read this" and "I heard this" and "I bet that" posts are scaring me...what a giant rumor machine the internet is turning into. Please take any posts that contain these words with a few thousand grains of salt.

There's a chart showing how Vista handle's the sound system, if anyone can find it and post it, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

I used XP for quite awhile with my current setup, and I'm now using Vista (Home Premium upgrade to my existing computer). Vista sounds the same, if not better, to my ears, using both my headphones and speakers.

You're not even using a soundcard.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

I can't get any other applications to make sounds until I stop Foobar2000).

IMO thats a good thing
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

This Kernel Streaming mode seems to be exclusive, by the way (i.e. once I start using it with Foobar2000, I can't get any other applications to make sounds until I stop Foobar2000).

I agree with what Gautama stated above, I actually had switched from KS to ASIO for a while and now I'm back to KS again specifically because of this. Just seems nicer to me to not have to worry about anything other than Foobar outputting sound while I'm listening to music, that's what I want.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 32
That's odd. There should be no perceptible difference in the SQ. Did you make sure you downloaded the latest drivers for your sound card?

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

This Kernel Streaming mode seems to be exclusive, by the way (i.e. once I start using it with Foobar2000, I can't get any other applications to make sounds until I stop Foobar2000).

Doesn't happen for me.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #26 of 32
For "ordinary" sound output of applications (via windows and not an exclusive interface like ASIO) Vista has different processing from XP. You should fiddle with the DSP a little. I can imagine multichannel systems can be tricky to set up. Vista's options seem interesting. You can even use a mic to callibrate the dsp for room correction.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 32
I take it back, there's some crackling in GRAW 2, whereas GRAW 1 on XP sounded fine. That could be the game tho...

OT: How are the Vista X-Fi driver disc/bundle's working out...torrent?

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 32
Jodiuh, please post more often.

Oh yeah, also: Foobar - KS - 1212m in Vista sounds great with the beta EMU drivers. I remember hearing a weird "chick-chick-chick" every once in a while after I first set up the 1212m in XP, but that's gone in Vista. I hate Vista for a lot of reasons, but soundwise it's perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back