Come on Vista, I wish Sound sounded the same as XP!! (pictures)
Jul 22, 2007 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Wizzard005

New Head-Fier
Aloha all,

This is my first post! I want to upgrade to vista so bad (because of the eye candy)

Anyways, I installed it the other day, and boy the audio is horable!

Here is what i run for my setup:

165440168-L.jpg

165440186-L.jpg

5.1 works and all, but it doesnt sound the same as XP, everything is just really bad,

As you can see i have all Studio Monitors and boy you really can hear the difference from the two OS's..

I gues i have to stick with XP Pro till SoundBlaster works out the bugs..

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 32
It must be driver issues as Vista is supposed to sound better for audio then XP given the fact they removed the Kmixer and designed the new audio stack.
Not sure why your system sounds worse...

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must be driver issues as Vista is supposed to sound better for audio then XP given the fact they removed the Kmixer and designed the new audio stack.
Not sure why your system sounds worse...

From what I remember, they removed Kmixer and introduced a whole slew of new headaches.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 32
In my case I also use studio monitors but only in stereo & Vista sounds better to me. There has been a number of driver issues though from several companies & Vista particularly with multichannel sound but hopefully they will get those worked out. During most of the beta & release candidate phase of Vista there was only stereo sound at least from creatives drivers. I had vista on my computer from the day they released beta 2 to the public for testing. Also if your running an Nvidia chipset motherboard with SLI active there are lots of knon problems soundwise with that combo. Also if you are running 4 GB of memory on Vista X64 there may be some sound issues if the operating system sees all 4GB but this is not true in every case at least its not true in my case.

To me in stereo mode anyway the sound is smoother in Vista & XP sounded a little more mechanical to me

Also if your running an Nvidia chipset motherboard with SLI active there are lots of knon problems soundwise with that combo. Also if you are running 4 GB of memory on Vista X64 there may be some sound issues if the operating system sees all 4GB but this is not true in every case at least its not true in my case.n Vista is smoother than in XP which sound slightly more mechanical to me.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 32
hey guys, I have the X-FI Extreme Music. I do have a EVGA 680i SLI setup if that matters. 5.1 does work, but you can totaly tell the difference from the two OS's.

In movies, the sound is not as loud as XP, meaning, you need to turn it up for to get the same vol, maybe that is what i am seeing as the error. I have 5.1 DVD Multi channle going to my home receiver

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 32
My Gina3G sounds exactly the same on Vista as it does on XP. The only issue I ever had with Vista was the sound stuttering when I tried to listen to music, but I run my sound in PureWave mode (like ASIO or KS, but built into the Gina3G drivers) and this solved the problem.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 32
Just to chime in, I had xp running with a creative audigy 2zs and got a new computer that runs Vista and has the creative X-fi Extreme Music soundcard. I find the sound with the new setup as good as or better than with the old playing via the same version of Foobar.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 32
My Vista set-up sounds great, I would say it sounds just as good or better then XP. I don't notice any new "Headaches" in Vista. Everything seems good to me..so far.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzard005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, I have the X-FI Extreme Music. I do have a EVGA 680i SLI setup if that matters. 5.1 does work, but you can totaly tell the difference from the two OS's.

I agree. There is a huge difference between the way Vista and XP handle sounds with the X-fi cards. Vista screws them up and XP sounds great.

I tracked the problem down to the speaker settings. I use an external dac and changed the audio output to spdif. Speakers output resulted in not-so-good sound quality, no matter what settings were set.

Afterwards I updated the x-fi drivers and get the new x-fi vista driver cd that got rid of the problem.

But yes, a lot of Vista users have infact pretty poor sound coming out of their x-fi cards, and most of them won't even notice it.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 32
I quite like the new mixer in Vista, where it allows you to adjust volume from each application.
However, since I switched, I seem to get crackles on some tracks. I don't think it's a problem with the tracks themselves, because as far as I can tell, it's different every time. I think It's something to do with Vista or my soundcard.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 32
Your results on upgrading to Vista will really depend on driver support for the device. My E-MU 404 USB became unuable in Vista, while my Auzen X-Meridian works perfectly after upgrading. You may either have to delay upgrading your OS or get a new sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back