Colorfly CK4, finally some competition for the HifiMan 60X ?
Jul 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #181 of 268
I just got my CK4 and so far I am really happy with it!

Downside: all the problems mentioned in the comments above are real. That means that there is no way to tell its abilities above anything more than 16/44.1 ... we definitely need to wait for a firmware update.

Compared to the Cowon J3 and S9, or any iPhone/iPod which I own: It is just another world of sound - more detail, clearity, dynamics, great stage. It just seems like there was a blanket removed from the overall sound. 

So far I just used my Sennheiser IE8 with it - they seem to be a good match. I'll be able to say more about it, when I get to my other place where there is a STAX and a GT40 waiting for some comparing.

Being spoiled by the nice user interface of the Cowons or iStuff, the CK4 is just horrible - no touch screen, no cover arts, some bugs in displaying the information. BUT I had to downgrade all my other players to almost exclusive use for audio books - there is no way of going back to them as music players.

I had a friend bring it from China, so it set me back only 800RMB (85 Euros) for the 8GB-verison (plus a 16GB microSD which I had anyway) - this is just the best price/sound ratio in the world right now. :wink:

That's it so far - more updates later.

Congratulate you on the 800RMB CK4

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #182 of 268
First off, I was speaking of HM601 and not a 602 model. The latter is, according to some users, a bit "brighter" and "cleaner", but the difference is - supposedly - minor. And then, I never had 601 myself but auditioned it a few times comparing to my CK4. Some believe that you must adapt to HFM's signature over prolonged usage, which was not my case, so it's not like I can give any judgement as to what is a better sounding DAP. Probably I would prefer 601 over unamped CK4, but with amping this colorfly delivers quite a pleasant musical experience so I'm not sure now.

Quote:
So if I understand well, you decided to keep the CK4 over the HM602 ?

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #190 of 268
Anyone (from USA) order from taobaofocus.com? They have some weird multi-payment set-up that I JUST became aware of. I orig. ordered the unit on july 19 (paid 143.26 USD via PayPal). Still hadn't rec'd -- as of yesterday  -- so I checked order status. Seems they want a second S/H payment ... 31.68 USD ... Sigh. Now, from my initial order (and email follow-ups), this was not made clear. Not sure if I want the unit for an extra $31.68 bucks

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #191 of 268

Quote:
looking forward to your impressions

I posted it but took it down a today for the lack of interest, pretty much like all my threads here on head fi,  nobody commented, rated, subscribed or really cared at all so nobody will get the video review

-keep your headphones unplugged when you turn it off and on, the player has a loud pop sound when powering up and down
-laid back and smooth sound, expansive soundstage big enough to do the ultrasone edition 8 justice
-excellent sound quality, best I have ever heard.  Have not heard the j3, but i did own the s9 and did not want to keep it upon first listen, I do want to keep the colorfly
-Can't view SD card and internal storage on the player at the same time
-no playlists, whatever is on your ck4s hard drive is your playlist, you can shuffle play all those songs, cannot shuffle play SD card media if your media is stored in albums.  Meaning if your file is a CD album on your SD card, you can only shuffle if you are viewing that album only.  Cannot shuffle all media on the SD card.
-Album art is supported, whoever said it did not is a liar
-Solid Build construction, feels moderately heavy and does not feel cheap at all, buttons are tactile and feel good
-Sd card slot is not hard to use, you might have to dig your finger nail in a bit to poke snap it in and out but its not bothersome
-Video and Image Quality is really bad, does not support any true HD video.  Image quality is horrid.  
-5 band custom EQ only, very basic.  Presets sound terrible, "Normal" EQ setting sounds fantastic.
-Better alternative to the HM601?  Might be, might not be.  Its a big longer, but its much thinner and equally as wide.  It fits into my pocket better than the HM601 and will pair with portable amps MUCH better.
-Does not have anywhere near the output colorfly claimed it does.  It does not drive my Edition 8 as well as my sansa fuze does, both at max volumes.  The Colorfly sounds lacking, smooth and airy at max volume and for some classical the player is not loud enough at all.  No punch to it what so ever, no snap or kick factor the sansa fuze will offer at moderate to high levels.  However it sounds significantly more clear and vast, more spacious and airy

-This player seemed to be made for storage and home source replacement, not for portable use.  The stage is smooth and laid back, natural sounding and not punchy, with that I think this was done to allow for use with any type of amp you want to, avoid any meshing problems from source > amp > headphones.  It takes the source out of the equation due to its sound presentation.  It is unbiased.  This is a great thing for anyone who wants a home source or has a great portable amp.

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #192 of 268
I have exactly the same feelings about the player.
Sound crisp clear and wide deep soundstage, more than enough for portable player.
However does not dirve some headphone (with high impedance, or with low sensitivity)
I have Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G and used mostly with Audio-Technica ATH-CKM55 and sometimes with SUPERLUX HD668B.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #195 of 268
hey bitlisz, can you comment on the improvements or downgrades that revolve around using the arrow with the colorfly?  What is better, what isnt.  I am sure the arrow doesnt have the soundstage as large and spacious as the colorfly, does it?  I am torn between amping right now and not sure what to do.  Any info you can provide on the ck4 + arrow combo is greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back