Colorfly CK4, finally some competition for the HifiMan 60X ?
Mar 22, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #106 of 268

Quote:
Ordered one from Jaben.
Will try soon with my SUPERLUX HD668B (with AKG earpads), and Audio-Technica ATH-CKM55.

Please post some Impressions when you get it.

Quote:
Some Japanese posted initial reviews of CK4 (8GB) on forum, their blogs or twitter like:

- Sounds are as well or better than T51, and lean on treble side.
- It's larger than T51, so a little harder to be stacked on portable amps.
- Usability is low. No touch screen, scattered buttons, non user-friendly and unstable system software. Also, you can't use the screen vertically.
- Lineout level is not fixed: Level can be changed by volume buttons.
- Be careful about buttons: One user reported that if you pushed buttons too hard, they were disabled (Photo http://goo.gl/photos/TuFKvesU5s).

This button stuff is scaring me, but I still would like to try the 16G version. The T51 sound is really decent, so I expect the higher version CK4 to sound even better.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #107 of 268
Yeah, it is starting to sound like this thing might be a bit rubbish, or at least, not the stellar steal at 800rmb it seemed.  Might hold me back from buying it outright if I can't demo it first.  Hopefully I can get one in my hands soon.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #108 of 268
Finally I get the package. Some troubles with the customs because the fake value on the bill...
Initial impression good. At least I found how to set the language from Chinese to English:)

I feel that the device quality (materials used, assembly) is very good.
Maybe the display touch function is just a disabled feature...:)

At least 96kHz/24bit wav played well. Try to fill with some more music and test.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #109 of 268

Quote:
Finally I get the package. Some troubles with the customs because the fake value on the bill...
Initial impression good. At least I found how to set the language from Chinese to English:)

I feel that the device quality (materials used, assembly) is very good.
Maybe the display touch function is just a disabled feature...:)

At least 96kHz/24bit wav played well. Try to fill with some more music and test.

Yeah first head-fier to own it. Please post some impressions. (Don't be too optimistic about the touchscreen)

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #110 of 268
Finally I get some time to check the CK4.
The sound is balanced/neutral and detailed, the music background is really black (! later).
I can feel real atmosphere, the instruments are in right positions, not "in the face".
The bass goes to deep enough without any eq, and dynamic too.
I compared with Musiland Monitor 01 US (in this I made some mod: changed 2pcs elco (to ELNA SILMIC II) and the OPAmp (OP275 -> LM4562))
and it seems to me the difference is not much...
It even can drive the Superlux (56 Ohm), I feel sometimes that the sound maybe a bit weak (not energetic)
but I am sure that will try to get some portable amp in the near future.

I compared to Philips GoGear Vibe SA2VBE08 too, just for fun, and off course "flawless victory" for Colorfly:)

Actually I am quiet impressed with the sound quality of this ~200USD (with fedex shipping to Hungary) device (with one exception!).

The real drawbacks:
- some clicking noise during high resolution playback
  like static discharge or playback of vinyl rip
  nearly every 10 sec is at least one...and it seems on higher resolution worse)
  maybe firmware bug?
  I translated with google the C4 firmware release log, and found this: "revised WAV format compatibility issues"

- only wav supported for high resolution playback (>48kHz/16bit) ->
  hard to fit in the 8GB+uSD (I have 8GB uSD in my phone, but thinking on 16/32GB too)
  There is a need for Flac too.

- no cover art during playback

- user interface, I mean really simple, and the keys at the top with strange order, but I can still use it, and can learn after a while
  at least it is responsive and works

- the Line Out can be changed by Volume control

Tested: mp3/flac(44.1/16 48/16 44.1/24 48/24 88.2/24 96/24 192/24)/wav (same)

Not tested: wma/ogg/ape..., video playback (I don't really care about this)

I will continue this...I already tried to contact with the Chinese support for wirmware update (no succes yet).

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #111 of 268

Quote:
Finally I get some time to check the CK4.
The sound is balanced/neutral and detailed, the music background is really black (! later).
I can feel real atmosphere, the instruments are in right positions, not "in the face".
The bass goes to deep enough without any eq, and dynamic too.
I compared with Musiland Monitor 01 US (in this I made some mod: changed 2pcs elco (to ELNA SILMIC II) and the OPAmp (OP275 -> LM4562))
and it seems to me the difference is not much...
It even can drive the Superlux (56 Ohm), I feel sometimes that the sound maybe a bit weak (not energetic)
but I am sure that will try to get some portable amp in the near future.

I compared to Philips GoGear Vibe SA2VBE08 too, just for fun, and off course "flawless victory" for Colorfly:)

Actually I am quiet impressed with the sound quality of this ~200USD (with fedex shipping to Hungary) device (with one exception!).

The real drawbacks:
  maybe firmware bug?
  I translated with google the C4 firmware release log, and found this: "revised WAV format compatibility issues"

- only wav supported for high resolution playback (>48kHz/16bit) ->
  hard to fit in the 8GB+uSD (I have 8GB uSD in my phone, but thinking on 16/32GB too)
  There is a need for Flac too.

- no cover art during playback

- user interface, I mean really simple, and the keys at the top with strange order, but I can still use it, and can learn after a while
  at least it is responsive and works

- the Line Out can be changed by Volume control

Tested: mp3/flac(44.1/16 48/16 44.1/24 48/24 88.2/24 96/24 192/24)/wav (same)

Not tested: wma/ogg/ape..., video playback (I don't really care about this)

I will continue this...I already tried to contact with the Chinese support for wirmware update (no succes yet).

Thanks for your impressions. It is quite interesting, maybe I will give it a try (I will wait for the 16g version). The drawbacks do not surprise me at all, it is always the same. Only the thing about the clicking in the background sounds really bad, since they advertise this DAP to play high-rez files. I hope they release a firmware update.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #112 of 268
Just some more bugs discovered:
- EQ is not working (can't hear a difference)
- the display for freq/bit (like 44.1kHz/24bit) sometimes does not change the value correctly (number is flashing?)
- the menu for eq/repeat/.. has some graphical bug, after close it by menu button, the part of this menu is flashing.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #115 of 268

Quote:
Just some more bugs discovered:
- the display for freq/bit (like 44.1kHz/24bit) sometimes does not change the value correctly (number is flashing?)
- the menu for eq/repeat/.. has some graphical bug, after close it by menu button, the part of this menu is flashing.

OMG, eq not working is bad news :frowning2:

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #116 of 268
Good news that finally I get answer for my emails:

Quote:
Thank you for purchasing our products and give comments and suggestions of our products.
Our response to your question is as follows:
1.)
  maybe firmware bug?

Re:The firmware of CK4 WAV decoding  is the latest, no need to upgrade. some clicking noise may be caused by low clock frequency of CK4's processor.
High clock frequency will cause increased power consumption.We will check this problem later.
2.)
- only wav supported for high resolution playback (>48kHz/16bit) ->   There is a BIG need for Flac too. (+ ape)

Re:flac high resolution playback will be supported by firmware update,But the release date of firmware update is not determined.
3.)
- no cover art during playback (folder.jpg ?)

Re:if the song embeded album tag information,CK4 will display the pic of album ,when display mode is set ID3 mode.
4.)
- the Line Out can be changed by Volume control (should be fixed)

Re: Yes, when changed volume the Line out output will be controled.
So,If you want to use the Line Out,you must set maximum volume,This was the best.
Line Out is a direct output for LPF circuit of DAC ,this can not be fixed.
5.)

Re:then it will work when you select the EQ.In the EQ menu CK4 have no preview function.
the later firware version will add this fuction.
6.)
- the disblay for freq/bit (44.1kHz/24bit) sometimes does not change the value correctly (number is flashing?)

Re: we also found this problem,later will be fixed. 7.)
- the menu for eq/repeat/.. has some graphical bug, after close it by menu button, the part of this menu is flashing
I can find to You all bugs, I really good from that.
Re:later version will fix these bugs.soon we will release out the updete package of CK4,user can update the firmware by himself,these issues will be resolved.

I really hope that They address priority to the problem 1.) and 2.) because this player biggest function is the High Resolution playback...Maybe some kind of internal software settings (maybe reboot needed to change clock freq?).

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #117 of 268

Quote:
Good news that finally I get answer for my emails:

I really hope that They address priority to the problem 1.) and 2.) because this player biggest function is the High Resolution playback...Maybe some kind of internal software settings (maybe reboot needed to change clock freq?).

So the firmware update will fix it all...

ID3 is only mp3 I think. So flac will not have album art support. Since most of those "audiophile" DAPs do not support album art for FLAC-files, why should the Colorfly do. I hope they release the 16g version soon.

Thanks for this information.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #118 of 268
anyone know the dimensions of the ck4?  i couldnt find it anywhere.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #120 of 268
^ thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back