Colorfly C4 - Questions From A Newbie!
Feb 14, 2013 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Krankor

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

For the last few weeks I've been looking into various DAP's and I'm very tempted to purchase the Colorfly C4.

Some background info:
I currently have a Onkyo NS-D1 dock that I use for direct digital output from an iPod into a DacMagic.
My headphone amp is a Project Headbox II, and my cans are Sennheiser HD-650's.

I've been wanting to find a similar quality portable version of what I currently have, hence my interest in a colorfly c4.

However, (and this is really my main question) the majority of my music material is basically apple mp4 256kbps files.  
Would there be any real benefit in getting a colorfly c4 (paired with my HD650's) when just using the apple 256kps audio files I have?

Or would I really need to consider re-ripping my cd's to FLAC before even considering a unit such as the colorfly c4 for it to be of any real investment?

Apologise if the above doesn't make sense, but in summary I guess I'm just trying to understand whether it's a worthwhile proposition given that I have no hires type of music material.   Should I only consider such an item for FLAC / hires types of audio file?

Many Thanks!

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 4
You really need to consider re-ripping your CD's to FLAC. I don't think it wise to purchase C4 without using high quality file formats. You would be much happier, You could also consider the younger brother Colorfly CK4. It supports true line option. Best results from CK4 amping though, not so much headphone out imo.

Once you go FLAC, you can't go back! :wink:

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Go for it, once re-ripped to flac you will notice the difference. The better your gear, more fun you have of your better source.
Use good rip software and I invest in a good cd-rom drive to begin with. I am using dbpoweramp for many years, once it got unstable but the problem was solved pretty quick by support of dbpoweramp.
It's worth the affort.

Grtz mdp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back