Colorfly C4 or HM-801?
Sep 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #61 of 113
Convenience, much larger music library choice, longer battery life and good enough sq (though not quite to the level of C4)

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #62 of 113
Quote:
Convenience, much larger music library choice, longer battery life and good enough sq (though not quite to the level of C4)

I am going from a two piece (iRiver H140 and Leckerton DAC/Amp) and I liked the C4 better for convenience. I definitely get the battery life part, but the C4 will be good enough for domestic flights and international I can plug in. Interesting to see you prefer the C4 for SQ, I will make my final determination after some break-in. Considering the large electrolytics in the signal chain (which as a rule I try to stay away from) this is one unit I think will exhibit some improvement with break-in.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #63 of 113
I travel a lot (over 150 nights per year) and my iPod rig consists of a Classic and a Touch stuck to either side of the amp. The convenience of having the much larger music library plus films plus podcasts plus Spotify and about twice the battery life in a fairly compact although slightly bigger parcel than the C4 in the end won out over the coolnes and slightly better sound of the C4 but I still like the C4 a lot and got rid of a HM801 and kept the C4 longer.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #64 of 113
Quote:
I travel a lot (over 150 nights per year) and my iPod rig consists of a Classic and a Touch stuck to either side of the amp. The convenience of having the much larger music library plus films plus podcasts plus Spotify and about twice the battery life in a fairly compact although slightly bigger parcel than the C4 in the end won out over the coolnes and slightly better sound of the C4 but I still like the C4 a lot and got rid of a HM801 and kept the C4 longer.

Did you notice any difference in the C4 over time?

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #65 of 113
The unit I had was the loaner that was doing the tour of the Danish community but "stranded" with me so probably had at least 100 hours on it before I got it and from there I didn't really notice any change

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #66 of 113
For what it's worth, I've had the C4 for over a year now and am still loving it. Does everything I want, battery life is still excellent. Won't be looking for a replacement for a LONG time.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #67 of 113
I guess we have different opinions as to what excelent battery life means :wink:

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #70 of 113
Oct 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #71 of 113
One word of caution for North American buyers of the C4. We lost our only 'local' dealer, so the only way to purchase a unit is direct from Hong Kong. I have had some questions answered by the European support team, but have recently been informed by them that they really aren't supposed to handle requests from North America. Support from China is somewhat lacking. I am still trying to get my unit registered, for example. So far I really like the unit but wish they were better set up to handle the folks in North America.

Edit: After a long trip using the C4, I am VERY happy with the sound. If they could improve the UI and provide better support in North America this would be a clear winner.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #72 of 113
Interested in the C4, compared with a lot new comers (hifiman 901, dx100), is it still worth buying?

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #73 of 113
Quote:
Interested in the C4, compared with a lot new comers (hifiman 901, dx100), is it still worth buying?

I picked the Colorfly over the competitors for a couple of reasons. Hifiman uses (or at least used to use) a strange implementation of anti-aliasing filtration that results in a substantial high frequency roll-off. I don't like undefeatable tone controls. The DX100 still seems to have more than its share of bugs. The Colorfly has its own drawbacks, see my comment above.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #74 of 113
Thank you very much help. I just picked up one from a fellow headfier, will come back to share ideas when I get it!

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #75 of 113
Quote:
Thank you very much help. I just picked up one from a fellow headfier, will come back to share ideas when I get it!

Looking forward to your comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back