Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Mar 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #946 of 3,325
Today in late evening had not much to do and remembering some past conversations I decided to try higher quality silver LOD from iTouch 4 into BH and my EB50. I recall some people were claiming iTouch sounds better than C3 with BH... What can I say? Nothing like this IMO. While iTouch sounds surely better with amp via good LOD cable i find it sounding more digital, lacking air and articulation dynamics, essentially no matter how much time I spend on listening iTouch just does not come ahead, stage is flat and compressed, timbre lacks richness while much falls into lower registers in bass and overall presentation becomes pretty boring despite fairly good detailing. iTouch simply cannot produce analogue-like sound no matter, i tried two more amps including Digizoid and another amp I received now, but neither could force iTouch to sound analogue. Mind this iTouch is an Ok player and delivers good sound when amped but... this not anywhere close to audiophile world unless you use older moded or rockboxed versions of iPod classic.

So far so are my findings.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #947 of 3,325
Hi, I just picked up C3. Really enjoying it, love the sq out of Sennheiser Momentum. I'm not an audiophile, I can't describe what I'm hearing like some of you but after listening to a familiar song and then re-listening to the same song out of my laptop (without NuForce Icon HDP) I can easily tell the sound is so much better. I'm going to try and do the same test with the Icon HDP with Momentum, and then with AKG Q701.

The UI is decent. It isn't the best UI but definitely manageable. It is really simple, I got it down in 5min. At first I couldn't lock/unlock it without swiping atleast 10x, but I understand now that you have to follow the >>> >>> >>> at the same speed at the same time. DUH!

The "pop" between track is there.. but honestly if I didn't read this thread I would have never noticed it.

It was between C3, Rocco-P, HM-601 or wait for FiiO X3. I'm glad I bought the C3... how much can anything portable sound better than this. Also, I'm not audio-enthused enough to carry something like a C4 detonator. This product is absolutely amazing little device.

One thing that is bothering me. I can't get my laptop (Windows 7) to recognize when I plug the C3 into USB port. I thought something would pop up but nothing. I mean it doesn't really matter because I don't plan on using internal storage but what if there is an update in the future? If someone can help me here that would be great.

Now I just have to convert 120gb of ALAC to FLAC now :frowning2: I tried using XRecode but it doesn't keep the IDTags. Can someone recommend what (free convert program) I can use instead? I heard you can do this with FooBar2k but I can't figure this out.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #948 of 3,325
One thing that is bothering me. I can't get my laptop (Windows 7) to recognize when I plug the C3 into USB port. I thought something would pop up but nothing. I mean it doesn't really matter because I don't plan on using internal storage but what if there is an update in the future? If someone can help me here that would be great.

Your laptop should simply recognize the C3 as you stated. It should instal the device driver the very first time then you're usually good to go. Can you try a different cable and USB port? Also try restarting your laptop.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #949 of 3,325
About the foot print of a credit card. :smile: Thickness including the bands is.... 27mm

I don't know if C3 will drive 90ohms. To my understanding it's only 13mW into a 32ohm load, so a little under a Clip+. But the way it uses the power is quite impressive I can drive 60ohm MDR-V6 without a problem, plenty of bass punch there.

Be great if someone good test something like ER4S 100ohm and tell us what happens. Because we're kind of in the dark about just how much C3 will handle. I don't know the maths. How much power would that work out to be into a 100ohm load?

The c3 handles my dt1350 prety well.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #950 of 3,325
I tried restarting and different ports. I haven't tried different cable, I will run to the store and pick one up and try. Hopefully it works... When I plug it in it says (on the C3) "Charging" "Power & Play" "Power Only" but no driver gets installed. Weird....

Anyways I've been listening for hours last night while reading this thread. Really awesome little device but I heard there is an amp (C&C BH) that makes it much better. I know you guys have these high end IEM and headphones but will I benefit from BH out of my Sennheiser Momentum?

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #951 of 3,325
Quote:

Does it flash up "USB connected" which then quickly disappears?  That's what mine does under Linux but it's fine in Windows.  If not you definitely have a dodgy cable...

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #952 of 3,325
dsp, i am not sure i understand what you need from c3 and what driver. when you plug in usb cable into PC the player screen must offer you two choices, only charge and charge while playing. i would push for charge only to see. in any case you player must be mounted as usb storage device which makes me wonder what driver besides usb2 driver you need. on macs this is more simple and i am glad i forgot about windows nightmares.

also if no window pops up, go to open ms explorer to see drives connected, one of them might removable drive which most likely will be your player. However be accurate with folders not to mess around system files.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #953 of 3,325
Make sure the device is fully charged before doing this. I nearly threw out a Cowon because of this it would not recognize, then after a full charge it did for some reason. Something to try. Might save yourself some frustration and simply get a half decent card reader, it will be a lot faster loading files this way also, but that of course doesn't let you access the onboard storage.

Tried running it in in XP mode if you have that? Or run as win 2000?  I don't use windows anymore so out of the loop on that one.
beerchug.gif
  Maybe check out some disc mounting app also/ or get into device manager and all that .

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #954 of 3,325
Thanks everyone. It was just the cable. I tried it with another cable and it said USB Connected (on the C3) and on the PC, it "tried" to install driver but failed. USB mass storage was ready to use but it said Colorfly C3 driver was not installed properly. I disconnected C3 from PC and reconnected it and this time it didn't try to install any driver.. PC does recognize it as "Removable Disk" and when opened there is nothing inside. Again thank you everyone.

I'm going to do more reading on the C&C BH now. Do you think C3+BH+Momentum will be a good combo?

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #955 of 3,325
C3 + C&C + Anything would be a good combo... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #957 of 3,325
I see Kova often dismissing the C&C BH / C3 combo recently, I just want people to know he is the minority out of many happy owners, and I'm not sure if he has some personal grudge going on with some members. Some of these people who went ahead, even came to create their own thread to discuss the matching. These people had taken advice from either myself and most likely Gintaras, before going ahead being very happy.

So, let's not forget there are two sides to every story. These are some posts I found quickly sifting through the thread (there are others), these are only the people who have come forward in the thread, not to mention many others who contact me via PM going ahead with the combo.

Hey guys, just got the delivery from Singapore! The C&C is here.

First...two words...

HOLY Schiitt!

This thing is tiny! Fits PERFECTLY against the C3.

Second...two words...

HOLY Schiitt!

IT SOUNDS FANTASTIC! The sound stage opened up...not just a little...I mean by a lot! I'm playing with the dip switches in the back. I personally like a lot of gain...comes from playing in a rock band for years...I dunno...

I am completely wowed by this little thing! I put on a various genre mix of rock I put together and my eyeballs are bugging out here.

Mids are brought forward more, the gain is fantastic, and with the LF switch hit...it's just enough bass for me. Nothing crazy. I'm pushing these Aerial 7 Royale's now and have the Heir Audio's up next.

I can't say thank you enough to the guys who FOUND this little match up!

The build quality is also great...solid case, good switches, etc.

I had no idea that it had two OUT's! Another great thing!

The only and I mean only complaint I have is that the pressure of the OUT 1 socket isn't too firm. The plug on the full size cans can come out if I don't be careful. But all in all...I'm happy as can be!

Great find and I DEFINITELY recommend getting this if you have a C3!

well well well, having tried my C&C BH what can i say??? hm... who recommended this to me? ah, H20Fidelity smart guy...... ok, so my BIG BIG THANKS go to H20Fidelity. INCREDIBLE AMP.

you ask me what about my digizoid? hm, most likely this will be collecting dust for the most, good as subwoofer but not any close to C&C.

i do not think i can describe in terms and words but... to let you know i was glued to my coach for two hours as i could not stop listening and that was late night time  we came back from one trip.

guys, trust our well respected H20, his recommendation earns a 100+ rating from me. C&C is magic which will make your IEMs and C3 deliver all their magic too.

now shrugging off first emotions i can say that while C3 on its own is a great sounding player C&C transforms this into very expensive high-end rig. the soundstage becomes huge and enveloping, trebles become silky buttery smooth, mid tones pop life like and a singer enters your brain, bottom end or bass becomes spacious, detailed and finely articulated, you literally catch a sense of air moving around the drums. symphonic music evolves into a complex and finely layered performance, no congestion or muff signature anymore.

i must admit i am very glad i listened to good advices from H20, really BIG thanks pal.

as for setup i recommend this first rate, this is C3 + Palic silver-coper cable + C&C BH + Musical Fidelity EB50.... for me this combo becomes a final stop as i cannot imagine anything better without paying twice or triple more monies for the portable setup.

guys sorry saying this but i am happy as a pig :L3000: :beyersmile:

Well, it arrived today while I was out.  Charged it up, plugged it in (using a silver-plated cable) and started playing with it.  Love the gain switch but feel guilty with it on.  Right now I'm using LF and SF (I'm NEVER turning off the SF switch!!!) and it seems to be just about right.  Then I hit the damn gain switch, turn the volume down a bit and I really like it.  But it just seems too boomy with my Triple Fi's.  I turn off the LF, still seems a bit too bass-y for me.  So I turn the gain off and hit the LF, then turn up the volume again.  This is gonna take some time to sort out.  Except for the SF switch.  I'm gonna MARRY it!!  Makes the C3 sound different (fuller) which is not necessarily a bad thing.  But it will take some getting used to.  Which is also not necessarily a bad thing.  :)

Hi everybody, first of all I would like to thank all the forumers. Thanks to them I bought the great C3. Then of course the C&C BH, the
Pailic cable, and finally the MF EB-50. I am really happy of the combo, and by "geeky curiosity" I would like to share and understand what are the favorite settings of the other users that have the same combo. By that I mean :

- output 1 or 2
- low - high gain
- lf on or off
- sf on or off

For my part, I have all the parts of the combo since Friday, so I am not used to all the different possibilities offered, but after some hours of listening ( I should say "looping songs and switching on off all the buttons") I have come to this :

output 1
hi gain
lf off
sf off

What are yours ? Thank you in advance for sharing !

s

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #958 of 3,325
Quote:
I see Kova often dismissing the C&C BH / C3 combo recently, I just want people to know he is the minority out of many happy owners, and I'm not sure if he has some personal grudge going on with some members. Some of these people who went ahead, even came to create their own thread to discuss the matching. These people had taken advice from either myself and most likely Gintaras, before going ahead being very happy.

So, let's not forget there are two sides to every story. These are some posts I found quickly sifting through the thread (there are others), these are only the people who have come forward in the thread, not to menttion many others who contact me via PM going ahead with the combo.

I was going to say that I'm not dismissing the C3/BH combo but yeah I am - it's just sub -par. I can't lie - if the combo doesn't work with one iem I can let it slip. If it doesn't have synergy with two I'll say "tough luck" and still recommend it. If it has worse synergy than the cheaper E11 with 90% of my inventory I'll call it what it is - bad synergy. Especially, given the fact how the BH performs out of my Hifimediy, which is leaps and bounds ahead.

edit: and to be clear - if something works I'll recommend it but only if it works overall. I won't give the combo a high score just because it's good with the s500 or something else. I can't do that - I can't be like Gintaras or Nikopol38 and start recommending it to everyone just because it has good synergy according to them with the EB50. I can't start saying - "Yeah it performs awesome with the s500 and thus everyone should get it." That's wrong. When you base your opinion on stuff like portable amps you base it on a whole bunch of headphones not the one that you have that is lucky to have a good synergy because you don't know what will be the synergy with the headphones of the guy who believed you. If I didn't know better or the S500 or the Gr04 were my onlu headphones I would recommend it but at my current state I can just say it's a picky combo and even when it works the BH isn't even close to its full potential

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #960 of 3,325
Quote:
Well I have many positives on these products, what do you have to back up your negative?

I'm drunk again but I'll say it - Experience and testing. And that's more than enough and more than what most of the people who heard the combo and you quoted have. As I already said I have nothing against the BH and actually I've been using it for more than 200 hours straight as a desktop amp but I just can't honestly recommend the C3/BH combo to anyone unless he has that particular headphone that works good with it. As Hulk says "You won't like me when I'm angry" and I'm still not, so don't make me begin a bashing campaign because of few comments and people who don't have enough experience but still try to pass their opinion for legitimate and universal. If X works with Z you say that X works with Z - you don't start recommending to people X assuming that it has the some synergy with A, B, C, D, E, F, G ,H etc.If it actually sounds great with A, then you say - "yeah, it sound good with A and you should try it if you have A". You don't say -"yeah, it sounds great with everything" when you actually tried it only with Z and A or just A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back