Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #453 of 3,325
Quote:
 I think TrollDragon has an E17, maybe he could share his experience with the pairing?

I'll give a good listen this weekend to the C3 paired with the E17 and E11, I don't have golden ear's so I'll respond with how I hear the pairing to be.
I don't have any earphones except for the DUNU Tai Chi DN-19's and they don't fit my ears, so I will test with the DT880 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-780.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #454 of 3,325
Quote:
How difficult is it to change out this chip in the C3?  One can easily request a sample  PCM1772 chip from the TI site, so obtaining the chip is not a problem.  I have not taken my C3 apart and I have little experience with changing out chips in portable audio products.  Does the process involve any specific tools or soldering, or can one just pull out the old chip and place the new one in?  Can you provide a brief explanation of the procedure for me?  Thanks. 

It is most defiantly not plug and play...

Here are my samples of the PCM1772 there are 3 of them in the black carrier next to the Canadian Dime for size reference.
They are 16 Pin TSSOP which is 0.3mm pins with 0.65mm spacing, so you'll need SMD soldering skills and some good eyes. :)

Here is the part of the board where you change the chip highlighted in green, this is on the screen side of the board so the board will have to be removed from the case.
Electrostatic handling precautions need to be observed as always.

The parts highlighted in red are designed for the HP Out of the 1770, the Data sheet of the 1772 recommends a LPF on the output of the chip.
The PCM177X demo board has a OPA2134A 54 kHz / 108 kHz second-order post filter, but you should be able to get away with a passive LPF, only it will give no where near as much output level as the OPA2134a does, and I don't think there is enough room for an opamp inside the case.

Since this might just be an exercise in futility...
biggrin.gif

I have sampled some PCM1770's as well to put things back to rights if need be. I am going to borrow an oscilloscope from a friend before I do this to measure output levels and look for any strange oscillation's, I wouldn't do the chip switch without one.
Also not knowing how good the traces are on the board, I'll just cut the 1770 away from it's pins and then clean up the old pins to minimize lifting any traces.

And that jdog is as far as I am at right now.

I will post more details and pictures when I do the swap.
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #455 of 3,325
Quote:
Not sure if anyone has already asked this question:
Between the lossless Flac and Wav (16bits-48KHz)  audio file, which is sound better in C3?

There should be no difference at all.  Anyone that hears a difference between FLAC/ALAC and WAV/AIFF is either deluding themself into believing it, or else there is a flaw in the device doing the playback.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #456 of 3,325
i have C&C BH on order. i also have ZO2 so can compare them and will report my impressions then.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #457 of 3,325
There should be no difference at all.  Anyone that hears a difference between FLAC/ALAC and WAV/AIFF is either deluding themself into believing it, or else there is a flaw in the device doing the playback.

Absolutely agree with this 100 %. Take all your files down to 44.1 flac will enable you to store more on the player. It'll also take a 64 gig card

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #458 of 3,325
TrollDragon,

Thanks so much for your posted instructions on the chip swap.  Good luck and please keep us posted as to how everything turns out.  Your project is clearly not a weekend project for the uninitiated.  Thanks again.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #459 of 3,325
So far does anyone in this thread who owns both C3 and C4?
If yes, may I know if C4 is a huge upgrade for C3 in term of actual listening experience?
What is the most significant different in term of sound signature between them?
I'm particular interested in the aspect of sound stage/3D imaging and vocal/instrument separation.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #460 of 3,325
If yes, may I know if C4 is a huge upgrade for C3 in term of actual listening experience?
I'm particular interested in the aspect of sound stage/3D imaging and vocal/instrument separation.

I don't have both but I do have an imod and a c3. There is no audible difference between my imod and my c3. That leads me to believe that your money would be better spent on a c3 and some nice headphones. You'll probably still be below the budget for the c4 and get a better sound.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
If you have musical preferences we might well be able to match you up with suitable phones between us all

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #462 of 3,325
Sounds great, not the easiest to use in the world, but still quite functional, and quick.  But it doesnt have buttons, its all touch based.

Way under your $300 ceiling, so buy one and try it out.  Im quite happy with mine.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #463 of 3,325
Quote:
Hey all, C3 worth $100 BIN on ebay? I'm looking for a good DAP for under $300 that has buttons and expandable memory.

Yeah, it's very good for its price but if you want hardware buttons and bigger screen you might want to wait for the fiio X3, which should come out this spring http://www.head-fi.org/t/528916/the-fiio-x3-thread-update-project-back-on-read-the-first-post-for-information supposedly at around 200 bucks. Of course, you can get the C3 now and later you might also grab the X3. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #464 of 3,325
Quote:
Sounds great, not the easiest to use in the world, but still quite functional, and quick.  But it doesnt have buttons, its all touch based.

Way under your $300 ceiling, so buy one and try it out.  Im quite happy with mine.

Crap, it's touch? That kills it for me. Oh well. I'll look into that Fiio X3 kova4a mentioned. Else, what is a good DAP with tactile buttons for under $300?

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #465 of 3,325
Quote:

I have an iMod and the C3 and I absolutely can tell the difference. I've compared them all weekend and so far the C3 edges out the iMod by a little bit. Being the cost of the iMod, and the size of the unit plus an amp attached. The C3 wins for sound. Now for ease of access, the iMod obviously wins..ie: playlists, RockBox, etc. 

This thing cost $80 USD...can't beat that with a stick for the sound it puts out! I'm also going to be getting a FiiO X3 in April regardless. The C&C Amp isn't going to be in NYC until the end of Feb...so I've got a long wait for the damn thing. But so far I'm digging this little unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back