Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,764 of 3,325
You'll find info in both impression threads .... or here     http://www.head-fi.org/t/735457/fiio-x1-vs-colorfly-c3
 and here     http://www.head-fi.org/t/742189/colorfly-c3-vs-fiio-x1  

The C3 evokes a bit of an 'irrational' love affair ... maybe because it's so basic ... and sounds so beautiful ... I have C3, X1, X5&12A (and a few other <$60 DAPs) .... as H20 points out - the way certain IEMs match with DAPs has a major influence ... as has your preference of sound .... the more I engage in this hobby the more I realise I did not have any idea about my 'real' preference and what sound I want for what genre ... I never thought I'd get to the point where I use different DAPs and different IEMs for specific genres... and even then my preferences change according to mood ....while there's a certain 'objectiveness' in technical abilities and quality with audio gear -- it turns out it's a very personal journey with lots of discoveries to be experienced (which I find is the addictive part of the audio path)...

If I had to pick only one DAP to take for the next holidays (which I will in 2 weeks :)  -- portability & sound -- always the C3 over the X1  (unless I needed full-size headphones - the X5/A12 is a clear winner - as power and price should reflect) ...

The X1 I have at work hooked to JBL-One speakers - the superior UI makes the X1 an easy pick for that purpose....

Enjoy your music

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,765 of 3,325
I have a number of DAPs.  Some with bells and whistles, but for whatever reason I keep going back to my C3 combo.  Since they do not make BH anymore I have gone to NX1.  Very clean, but with less feature than BH.  I know, C3 UI is a pain but I got used to it.  Enjoy!

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #2,766 of 3,325
song limit? can we use a 128gb card?

how's this compared to fiio m3?
i just want a proper portable dap that can be used on the go 
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,768 of 3,325
I haven't try a lot of amp but reading from the previous comment and review...

I guess i'm lucky enough that i buy topping nx1 while i accidentaly found it on local seller's store (btw it's VERY hard to find a local seller that sell a cheap amp here... i can order it from other place, but i'm not in mood to order at some place that require it to be sent by a post (it's just my mood and postal service here is pretty bad)

From what i hear, this nx1 bring more power to the C3's sound. it's sound much better and powerfull, the bazz is still lacking thou :v though sometimes i hear something like a static or buzzing sound but it rarely happen

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,769 of 3,325
I haven't try a lot of amp but reading from the previous comment and review...

I guess i'm lucky enough that i buy topping nx1 while i accidentaly found it on local seller's store (btw it's VERY hard to find a local seller that sell a cheap amp here... i can order it from other place, but i'm not in mood to order at some place that require it to be sent by a post (it's just my mood and postal service here is pretty bad)

From what i hear, this nx1 bring more power to the C3's sound. it's sound much better and powerfull, the bazz is still lacking thou :v though sometimes i hear something like a static or buzzing sound but it rarely happen

The buzzing might be your interconnect?

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #2,770 of 3,325
I recently bought a Colorfly C3 because it had a very tempting price of $39.99 for a like-new item, listed on Amazon.  After listening to it I agree with all that I've read so far about its good SQ.

I also agree that there is often a slight clicking noise between tracks.  I like to save an entire CD, or my own playlists, as a single merged file in order to get gapless playback, and I often notice the clicking between the merged tracks (regardless of whether it's been saved as a .wav or .flac or .mp3).  In one instance  the clicking sounded like a stutter and lasted for about 5 seconds--very annoying.  Using a sound editor I viewed that particular portion of the sound and saw that there were some low volume spikes (about -80 dB) alternating with no volume (-infinity dB).  I replaced that section with some low volume pink noise and the clicking completely disappeared.

And so, it appears to me that the clicking noise of the Colorfly C3 occurs when the sound level goes from absolute nothing to anything, and vice versa--exactly what often occurs at the beginning and end of tracks.  In general what I've done is to take a pink noise file, lower its volume to -80dB, copy about 5-10 seconds and mix it into my merged files anywhere that the volume drops to nothing between the tracks. 

BTW, I have some some TDK ST750 headphones (with built-in amplifier) that up to now I've found of little use.  They sound just great with the Colorfly C3 when the headphone's amp is switched on.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,771 of 3,325
Hi guys,

Since music streaming came to my life the c3 and all other daps are forgotten in my office.

Is there any update for the c3 interface? What is nowadays a good matching amp for it?

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,773 of 3,325
Hi guys,

Since music streaming came to my life the c3 and all other daps are forgotten in my office.

Is there any update for the c3 interface? What is nowadays a good matching amp for it?

No updates and I use the FiiO E11K with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back