Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #2,492 of 3,325
After listening to it for a while i find the sound of C3 dry and fatiguing. I could listen to my ipod nano for hours on end and have it as a background when i read something. Can't do that with C3. I guess it has more detail. But it's dry and fatiguing. Possibly due to the higher treble. The vocals in my nano feels personal; but not with C3. I use Westone W20 straight out of C3. I'm thinking what to do now. I honestly don't feel like listening to C3 other than for testing.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #2,493 of 3,325
It may be worth trying to add an amp to the C3, preferably one with a bass switch. If you can test one out I think it might be what you're looking for. The extra bass helps with intimacy and warmth not just full out clout. Added an amp myself, got to say I'm loving the C3, the sound anyway
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #2,494 of 3,325
Well C3 sounds very flat and "correct". Almost the same signature out of my DACMagic. I assume the Westone sounds very flat? If you want coloring, get V colored IEMs such as VSonic or as suggested, get an amp to do so.

I myself found that it drives GR07BE pretty well on moderate volumes but out of balance anything louder. Guess the GR07BE is pretty hard on it. Zero complain on GR06 but then some detail and airiness can't be heard.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #2,495 of 3,325
Hi All,  Hi  H20

C3 since 5 months now, sometimes with Topping nx1 sometimes without... have tried nearly a douzen IEM, settled on my favourites (number one being the DUNU Titan1, then GR07c and HiSound Crystal), passed on the rest...

The only headphone I own is the Sennheiser HD598 - I love the clarity and soundstage, can listen for hours and enjoy ... but I'm now looking for a second headphone which is more 'engaging' and dynamic, maybe less smooth than the 598s....and it should be a 'closed headphone'.
I value clarity and soundstage over everything else .. don't mind extra bass if it is sharp, as long as it is definded and not boomy or bleeding into other areas .... don't mind high trebles either (prefer actually)....

Max price about $250-300 (happy to buy second hand too) .... Thinking Senn HD25, AKG 272, AKG 550, Shure 440 or 940, DT 770, DT1350 (second hand) .... I'm sure you guys will identify some of the above more or less suitable to my taste .... can I ask for recommedations re above or some other suggestions altogether? (Keeping the sound signatures of GR07 and Titan1 in mind).

What do you think would work best for C3 and for my preferences?

Cheers

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #2,496 of 3,325
  Hi All,  Hi  H20

C3 since 5 months now, sometimes with Topping nx1 sometimes without... have tried nearly a douzen IEM, settled on my favourites (number one being the DUNU Titan1, then GR07c and HiSound Crystal), passed on the rest...

The only headphone I own is the Sennheiser HD598 - I love the clarity and soundstage, can listen for hours and enjoy ... but I'm now looking for a second headphone which is more 'engaging' and dynamic, maybe less smooth than the 598s....and it should be a 'closed headphone'.
I value clarity and soundstage over everything else .. don't mind extra bass if it is sharp, as long as it is definded and not boomy or bleeding into other areas .... don't mind high trebles either (prefer actually)....

Max price about $250-300 (happy to buy second hand too) .... Thinking Senn HD25, AKG 272, AKG 550, Shure 440 or 940, DT 770, DT1350 (second hand) .... I'm sure you guys will identify some of the above more or less suitable to my taste .... can I ask for recommedations re above or some other suggestions altogether? (Keeping the sound signatures of GR07 and Titan1 in mind).

What do you think would work best for C3 and for my preferences?

Cheers

I'd probably go for Shure SRH840 in your situation. (you can research that)

Keep in mind closed headphones will never have quite the soundstage of an openback headphone.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,498 of 3,325

Thanks H20 - gets great reviews and seems to fit my preferences..... may well be a purchase soon .... I'll keep an eye out for specials ....

cheers

SRH840 is a great headphone. I would have kept it, only reason being It hurt my neck when laying down at night.

I've owned SRH440, 840, 940, there's a genuine sweet spot to possess with SRH840 - differences between the ex-flagship 940 are forgivable or maybe even favourable to 840 (imo). Should give you a great amount of detail along with friendly clean tonality. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2,499 of 3,325
Listening to my newly acquired Fidue A83 through my C3 and Ibasso D Zero MK II while my Centrance Mini M8 gets attended to, and wow what great sound.  I use the low gain out of Ibasso and it seems to add that low end the C3 misses.  Beautiful sound. I was going to sell the C3, rethinking that one for sure.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,500 of 3,325
  Listening to my newly acquired Fidue A83 through my C3 and Ibasso D Zero MK II while my Centrance Mini M8 gets attended to, and wow what great sound.  I use the low gain out of Ibasso and it seems to add that low end the C3 misses.  Beautiful sound. I was going to sell the C3, rethinking that one for sure.

Awesome! Yeah, I've ended up using my C3/BH combo quite a bit - it simply sounds great with a lot of my gear, and I like the size. So neither of them are going anywhere lol. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,504 of 3,325
  How do you like the C4 in relation to your DX90.

Its the kind of comparison which must be looked at purely from sound only, as the UI between DX90 and C4 is night and day. I feel to some extent beside the smaller screen C3 even has a slight edge over C4 when you consider the button layout and speed of navigation, then DX90 with its touch screen and hand palm size form factor blows C4 away. The sound of C4 is not unlike a large potent C3, I think that's the best way to look at it. Like many company's have a house sound C3 and C4 share some resemblances, just C4 has much more detail and can flick it out as if coming off a feather with no strain, it has a lot more power.

The best way for me to explain would be listening to your C3 then DX90.

Again, all this comes down to synergy, there are IEM or headphones I prefer on DX90 than C4 and visa versa.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2,505 of 3,325

Hi, how does the D Zero compare to the D-14? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back