Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jan 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,982 of 3,325

This...: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/2955#post_9628740

Actually I do own a C3 now.

Functionality wise, I think X3 easily wins out. But purely on SQ, the two are close. X3 has much more power in stock configuration and will drive most headphones very well. In contrast, C3 is really clean and transparent but the overall dynamic suffers from the lacking of power. My X3 has been mod'ed so as far as clarity goes, it can easily match / surpass C3, and still provide better power. With the stock AD8397, I think those who prefer clarity over dynamic might prefer C3. I know a lot of C3 user like the combo with C&C BH - nothing wrong in sound except BH is underpowered a bit so it really isn't my top choice (given power is what lacking on C3 in the first place). I would have preferred fred_fred_2004 3 Channels amp running on 18V. Even cmoyBB on 18V with AD8620 sounds tighter to me. With a good amp, C3 will be technically a better match to X3.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,984 of 3,325
  Thanks! If only the C3's UI weren't so weak. Just a resume function would already improve matters. 

Yup. If the C3 had a resume function, an "auto-shutoff timer" function, and a "play next folder" function, then I would forgive it not having playlist functionality and I probably wouldn't ever feel the need to keep my eye on other DAPs.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,985 of 3,325
Bad news, my C3's firmware is corrupt badly and all my music is lost, first my songs were all screwed up, like all symbols and stuff, and now its completely broken, like I can still scroll and use the buttons but my music has vanished into the void, lost but apparently still there according to my PC

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,986 of 3,325
Bad news, my C3's firmware is corrupt badly and all my music is lost, first my songs were all screwed up, like all symbols and stuff, and now its completely broken, like I can still scroll and use the buttons but my music has vanished into the void, lost but apparently still there according to my PC

Do you have another card you try? Have you tried pressing the reset hole? If the firmware truly is corrupt (which atm I doubt) you can to a fresh install of the firmware by finding it on colorflys website.

I say try another card, or format the current card and transfer your files again.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,988 of 3,325
Just occurred to me today to connect my C3 to my JDS Labs C5... totally justified my purchase of the C5. Sounds much better than when paired with the DX50. Bigger soundstage, better seperation, more authority in bass region. Really nice synergy.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,989 of 3,325
  Just occurred to me today to connect my C3 to my JDS Labs C5... totally justified my purchase of the C5. Sounds much better than when paired with the DX50. Bigger soundstage, better seperation, more authority in bass region. Really nice synergy.

Sweet. I can imagine they synergy would be nice.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,990 of 3,325
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,992 of 3,325
WHY would you say that?  Why?  Why?  Now I've had to go out and buy one of the damn things, should be here tomorrow.  Please, be careful what you say here, have a little mercy.  
beyersmile.png

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,993 of 3,325
  WHY would you say that?  Why?  Why?  Now I've had to go out and buy one of the damn things, should be here tomorrow.  Please, be careful what you say here, have a little mercy.  
beyersmile.png

oldude! You'd better change your name to weakdude lol!

Congrats dude.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,994 of 3,325
beyersmile.png

C5 will offer better refinement than BH, the presentation will sound a little more mature. You should notice tigher bass, better coherency in vocals and mid range samples. It will be like moving onto a new flavour. Similar to BH the JDS has it's own vibe and timbre, so you should enjoy the change. You lose the battery life of BH however.

I sold my BH amp last month and use JDS C421 now, my C3 still stays strong, I use paired with Rhapsodio RDB Mini straight from headphone out.

I wish Colorfly would bring out a new player, something between their CK4 and C4 models would be nice - $300-$400 range. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,995 of 3,325
More like lessmoneythanIhadbeforedude.  Though I'm certainly looking forward to getting the amp tomorrow.  I've even bought low profile Dual Lock for it.  BTW, I had my C3 attached to my C&C BH using the Chinese-supplied rubber bands and I was having trouble with my signal-in cable on the BH- It would lose the right channel and I'd have to reseat it fairly often.  Once I used Dual Lock (the thicker stuff) on the pair instead of the bands, that issue went away.  I'm thinking the tight bands torqued the BH case somehow and caused the issue.  Pretty sturdy case, you wouldn't (well, I wouldn't) think it could twist enough to affect the seating of the cable (a thick silver-plated one, not the skinny stock one).  But the issue disappeared as soon as I used the Dual Lock and no matter how much I jiggle the cable, I can't replicate what was happening fairly frequently before.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back