Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
May 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,307 of 3,325
Quote:
ok, back to C3, i have one issue. does anyone know how can i remove Trashes and Spotlight folders which appear on micro sd after copying music files? when i open sd card on my mac these folders are not showing up. however when put the card on C3 it shows me these two folders along with music folders. this is small inconvinience but i would be happy to know how to remove these.

The only solution that worked for me on OS X 10.6.8 was creating a new folder on the C3 and dragging all the unwanted files into it. Next open the Terminal and type "sudo rm -rf " (without the quotations, make sure to leave the space after the f) Then Drag the unwanted folder from the C3 into the terminal and hit enter.

May 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,308 of 3,325
Quote:

The only solution that worked for me on OS X 10.6.8 was creating a new folder on the C3 and dragging all the unwanted files into it. Next open the Terminal and type "sudo rm -rf " (without the quotations, make sure to leave the space after the f) Then Drag the unwanted folder from the C3 into the terminal and hit enter.

Have you looked at this thread on stopping finder from writing those files to the SD card.

May 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,310 of 3,325
Quote:
I can understand that, it can be cumbersome choosing tracks quickly, and things like making playlist folders shouldn't really be required. I personally like the design of the touch pad (make sure you wipe it over regularly) and the screen sure I can live with, but the actual UI and features went astray. In my eyes it's almost like they got the sound spot on, we all agree on that, and to me the build quality is far above average, but when it came time to design the actual UI and features that section didn't know What they were doing lol.

For example, the Rocoo BA I have here has the features C3 could of easily had, such as auto shut down, sleep, albums, artists, track selection, it resumes where you left of from the internal memory etc etc.. These are little things that C3 was capable of even with it's small screen, and even possibly could be added with updates but I just don't see any coming at all. So whoever designed the UI needs a good smack on the bottom, because they were 2/3 of the way there IMO

Just getting more familiar with the C3 and reading through this thread (which you linked me to). I can see that I will have to be a bit careful. For instance, not having a sleep function is a factor for me, as I use that all the time with my rockboxed clip zip when I fall asleep. Also, something like the auto-resume is a feature that I've taken for granted, but would miss I think. It sounds like it doesn't really handle playing via a database, but hopefully it at least handles playlists without problem. Note: I have a problem currently when I try to initialize the database of my rockboxed clip zip after I gott a 64G card in it (when I try,  it says "data abort at blah blah..."). So, I'm currently not using it's database, but am at least able to play via playlists.

Anyway, my research continues!

May 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,311 of 3,325
No playlists on the C3 folders only.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #1,312 of 3,325
Quote:
No playlists on the C3 folders only.

Thanks. I think that what you are saying is that playlists work for music that is in the microSD card, but not on the C3's internal disk.

May 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,314 of 3,325
Thanks kova4a!
Sometimes I should just wait to reply and compose better answers, when I'm not on the move... :D

May 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,315 of 3,325
Quote:
NO, what he's saying is that playlists don't work at all - there is only folder playback. 

Thanks. "Only folder playback"... I'm letting that sink in.

These are further things that I'm going to have to determine:
- I was reading some posts talking about getting the songs sorted properly by filename. I'll have to look into that further, now that I know that it doesn't support playlists.
- can it shuffle the songs in a folder
- when a folder is finished playing, can it auto-start on the next folder
- can it shuffle ALL songs on the microSD card (if not, that'll be a deal breaker for me as I really enjoy that).

Hmm... what else..

May 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,316 of 3,325
Sorry, folder playback is all you get. You can shuffle songs within a folder but only in that folder. If there's a sub-folder in that folder you'll have to open it and play its contents separately. The C3 can't move from  one folder to the next automatically. And again as I said folder-only playback - the only way you can shuffle all of your songs on the memory card is if you put all of your songs in it without any sub-folders or anything, Which then will be an issue if you want to listen a certain album or artist. I like to listen whole albums and I hate shuffling, so it's not an issue for me but you might want to get X3 instead if that's a deal breaker for you

May 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,317 of 3,325
Quote:
Sorry, folder playback is all you get. You can shuffle songs within a folder but only in that folder. If there's a sub-folder in that folder you'll have to open it and play its contents separately. The C3 can't move from  one folder to the next automatically. And again as I said folder-only playback - the only way you can shuffle all of your songs on the memory card is if you put all of your songs in it without any sub-folders or anything, Which then will be an issue if you want to listen a certain album or artist. I like to listen whole albums and I hate shuffling, so it's not an issue for me but you might want to get X3 instead if that's a deal breaker for you

I like to do both depending on my mood. The problem for me with listening to whole albums is that I typically always choose the same ones and a lot of my music then gets overlooked. But when I throw "all songs" on shuffle, it gets me listening to tunes that I haven't listened to in a long time, which I enjoy doing.

Ok, in addition to those playback issues, I think that I would miss the sleep feature too much. And the auto-resume feature. So I'll have to give the C3 a pass, which is a shame because it obviously has great SQ. But, I am in no hurry (still quite happy with my rockboxed clip zip), and I'll just continue keeping my eye on the various players that are coming out. I suppose also the Colorfly will be having a C3 successor that may have more features, so I'll keep my eye out for that as well

Thanks for your time.

May 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #1,318 of 3,325
Quote:
Have you looked at this thread on stopping finder from writing those files to the SD card.

BlueHarvest does it easily.  Costs a little bit but no need for terminal.  

Edit- since there seems to be some confusion here, all you do is install it, set up your folder, right click your mouse and go to the bottom of contextual menu to BlueHarvest, click it, it will give you a popup of the files it has found and do you want to remove them, you say yes, then eject/unmount your folder.  There's no way if you do this it won't work.

May 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,319 of 3,325
Thanks for the info olddude, I should do up a wiki page for the C3 here listing the fixes for the directory stuff and what it will and won't do... I can link the latest firmware and possible updates from Colorfly's Mary Han when she posts them.

Any objections to this idea? It would make a simple link to post to New C3 owners and those with questions. Also someone else can do a sound quality section as I am not well versed in the audio vernacular. :D

May 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #1,320 of 3,325
The only solution that worked for me on OS X 10.6.8 was creating a new folder on the C3 and dragging all the unwanted files into it. Next open the Terminal and type "
sudo rm -rf " 
(without the quotations, make sure to leave the space after the f) Then Drag the unwanted folder from the C3 into the terminal and hit enter.

Thanks a Lot :)
I will try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back