Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,536 of 3,325
  Still got mine, the interface is bugging the hell out of me now but I can't bring myself to part with it. Once you get the synergy right with other components, it's just bliss or aural sex as I like to call it
tongue_smile.gif

I normally hate touch screen players, yet still love this one.

That's nice to hear! I've made some CMOY headphone amps myself but NX1 will also be my first "commercial" headphone amp. I already love sound straight from C3 to Shure SRH1440 so NX1 could make it even better! Can't wait mine to arrive.

Portability was a significant factor for me, and these two fit really well. I attached a clip to the amp, strapped the C3 to it and it's surprisingly convenient, a bit heavy but small and compact. And all my music sounds... so different.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,537 of 3,325
Speaking of portability, I've build one CMOY inside 9V battery case. I haven't used it much, it was mostly just for fun project because I thought it would be fun to try to build this small headphone amp. Amp used to feature bass-boost circuit before but I disabled it since I got rid of bass-boost-addict habbit (thanks to C3). But it actually does sound very fine with C3, it makes treble little crispier and small details can be heard better. I bet NX1 will sound better though but since this is my DIY effort it has it's own value.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,542 of 3,325
Any recommendations for an Interconnector for a SoundMAGIC E10M/Topping NX1/C3 Combo?

This one little buddy. It's low profile, silver plated wire, about $10. Pick the 0.1 meter length (10cm)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281199686467?_mwBanner=1

Used these for a while myself.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #2,544 of 3,325
The Colorfly C3 I bought (used) was only getting around 6 hour run times because it's ex owner had not used it for an extremely long time, it was left flat, we assume the 1000mah battery went stale. I probably could have lived with it but considering we've replaced the Cowon J3 battery with a smartphone battery in the past I started searching for a replacement. Finding a stock replacement seems quite hard.

The closest I could find was a Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 battery it was 1500mah but just a bit too tight on the fit, the thickness mainly. When I tried screwing the backplate on it applied pressure to the board, when this happens the C3 won't boot up.

So started searching again this time I've gone for a Nokia phone battery which should fit more than easily but only 700mah, we'll lose 300mah from stock. But this is better than the C3 sitting around without any battery as the stock one was stuck down really tight and bent / destroyed during removal.

Can we bring this C3 back to life?

Let's find out, I'll grab some pics of the job once the Nokia battery arrives.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,545 of 3,325
You should be able to find a decent replacement LiPo battery, if you have the dimensions of the old one.

Core Electronics would or could get a 1000 mAh liPo or higher one one that would fit.
http://core-electronics.com.au/batteries-power/liion-lipoly.html

or some random sketchyness from this place with lots to choose from, sizes listed in the description.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/other-batteries_4318

Other than that eBay makes em by the 100K's daily and there should be a suitable 1500 mAh or higher that would fit, but it will take some searching.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,546 of 3,325
  You should be able to find a decent replacement LiPo battery, if you have the dimensions of the old one.

Core Electronics would or could get a 1000 mAh liPo or higher one one that would fit.
http://core-electronics.com.au/batteries-power/liion-lipoly.html

or some random sketchyness from this place with lots to choose from, sizes listed in the description.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/other-batteries_4318

Other than that eBay makes em by the 100K's daily and there should be a suitable 1500 mAh or higher that would fit, but it will take some searching.

There's one in the link you provided which is extremely close but the problem is the thickness of that battery is 5.9mm, that's where the problem lies. I need a battery which is really no more than 4mm thick and C3's stock battery seems like it was made exactly to size. The space between the backplate and circuit board only allows for roughly 5mm, that's the difficult part. It seems as you move up to slightly higher mah batteries the actual shape doesn't vary much, its the thickness they add the extra to.

But thanks very much for searching, the option in your top link was really close mate.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,547 of 3,325
The Colorfly C3 I bought (used) was only getting around 6 hour run times because it's ex owner had not used it for an extremely long time, it was left flat, we assume the 1000mah battery went stale. I probably could have lived with it but considering we've replaced the Cowon J3 battery with a smartphone battery in the past I started searching for a replacement. Finding a stock replacement seems quite hard.

The closest I could find was a Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 battery it was 1500mah but just a bit too tight on the fit, the thickness mainly. When I tried screwing the backplate on it applied pressure to the board, when this happens the C3 won't boot up.

So started searching again this time I've gone for a Nokia phone battery which should fit more than easily but only 700mah, we'll lose 300mah from stock. But this is better than the C3 sitting around without any battery as the stock one was stuck down really tight and bent / destroyed during removal.

Can we bring this C3 back to life?

Let's find out, I'll grab some pics of the job once the Nokia battery arrives.

I am almost missing mine now. I know it is in good hands, so it's not so bad.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2,548 of 3,325
The battery replacement went well.

For those interested the battery I used was Nokia BL-4B, cost around $5.00 on eBay.

The piece of masking tape is there just to cover the battery contacts incase they try and touch the (metal) rear backplate.

It was quite easy to do, long as you have a soldering iron and some fresh solder.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #2,549 of 3,325
FiiO E11 Battery FTW!
Nice job Uncle H20, it's been a while good sir, what new these days?

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #2,550 of 3,325
  FiiO E11 Battery FTW!
Nice job Uncle H20, it's been a while good sir, what new these days?

Yeah, we don't see you around as much. 
smile.gif

Oh, I'm still tinkering around, suffered a recent ear injury (from IEMs) which seems to be a reoccurring problem and we've been giving the XDuoo X3 DAP quite a bit of attention. Maybe you want to check that out. http://www.head-fi.org/t/782912/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player Apart from that our house was under renovations for 8 months and we lost half of our living space. I was browsing Head-fi from a room no bigger than a prison cell for a while.

Lucky I have my Colorfly C3 to keep my occupied. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back