Colorfly C200
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #121 of 166
Colorfly says that usb dac works on win 7, but not on win 10 (which I can confirm personally). Gapless isn't supported either. And referring to email reply from Colorfly when I asked about firmware update It seems like there won't be firmware update anymore and those features are not going to be implemented at all, ever. Quite a shame, and therefore I would recommend some other dap, except of course if you don't mind those features. Afterall it does sound very good.
Fully agree. The sound that is the key feature. But I wish there was a good external DAC implementation using it with my large iTunes library on MacBook.....otherwise, pretty solid DAP much coolest and sweetest than aune m2Pro as expl.

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #124 of 166
So I got myself a used C10 off eBay for £100 (+£15 postage to Germany from the UK.)

Here's my very brief comparison with the C200:

Physical build and UI:
Obviously no contest. The C10 wins hands down. It is a beautiful device to my eyes and also feels much more solid on hand. The wooden back and metal shell is a very good combo. The C200 just feel too much like a prototype. Some nice ideas but not really ready for real-world use. UI-wise the C10 has a much cleaner look. Operationally about the same. I haven't encountered any freeze-up with the C10 in a couple of days of constant use. In contrast, the C200 drives me mad with the constant seize-ups. Also, an important point with the C10 is the cut-offs between tracks is all but gone using line-out, though still very noticeable with the headphone-out.

Sound: (I only use my Final Heaven 7 IEMs.)
I think the two players sound different enough to make it hard to say which one is 'better'. But I must start by saying I think the C10 has a more sophisticated and tighter sound. The reproduction of sound seems to me to be truer. Amazing separation of instruments. Even though things are closer together in comparison to C200 it's somehow more defined. Everything is more 3D-shaped in space.

I mainly use line-out to the C&C BH amp so I'll mainly talk about that. But I think general characteristics apply to the headphone out as well. And as I mentioned above, LO from C10 means no cut-offs. Although still not gapless, it really is a huge plus for me.

The biggest difference between the two to me is the soundstage presentation. The C200 soundstage seems a bit further out away, which is nice. It's a bit less in your head sound. Especially the centre in comparison to C10. With the C10 everything happens around your head. But because the sound is cleaner it seems to extend very well. It depends more on the recordings to sound good.

People tend to describe C10 as warmer, I think I would agree to a certain extent. I think maybe it's flatter in comparison to C200. I think C200 is very slightly more U-shaped.

Both players produce organic dynamic sound. I read on the C10 thread some say it sounds more digital in comparison to C200, I don't feel that's the case myself. Just different sound signatures. C10 has a smooth but detailed sound.

-----

So, in conclusion, I am very happy with the C10. While I like the soundstage presentation of the C200, everything else I prefer what C10 has to offer.
OK.......
Very insight information i think.....
Owning C200 for a couple of years now (but never had the chance to hear C10).. just wanted to add a few things there...
Firstly "the constant seize-ups" seems to have dissapeared from C200 as well using the LO with E12A Fiio amp....Have noticed that E12a does not affect at all the sound characteristics of C200 in contrast promotes in a good way the original sound signature just adding a bit of an extra weight in sub bass region,emphasazing a bit on the low end which is simply fantastic result...
Secondly, the dac chip which is used in C200 the sabre ESS9018K2M is famous for its transparency and the airy sound that provides, thus resulting in more space and air between instruments and a more open sound which in its way benefits the whole soundstage preception.....Maybe i guess that C10 being more congested and not difused sounding results in a more coherent sounding source with more accurate definition of its instrument....The dac chip which is used on C10 is the same that Fiio has used on X3ii & X5ii (both very precise accurate sounding daps highly appreciated from the audio community as well)
Finally having heard a bounch of daps lately... i can confirm that in terms of clarity and brightness C200 outperforms lots of them...
If anyone prefers a bright,midforwarded,open wide sound, with extra emphasis on the vocal performance then C200 is TOTALLY RECOMMENDED...:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #125 of 166
OK.......
Owning C200 for a couple of years now (but never had the chance to hear C10).. just wanted to add a few things there...
Firstly "the constant seize-ups" seems to have dissapeared from C200 as well using the LO with E12A Fiio amp....Have noticed that E12a does not affect at all the sound characteristics of C200 in contrast promotes in a good way the original sound signature just adding a bit of an extra weight in sub bass region,emphasazing a bit on the low end which is simply fantastic result...
Secondly, the dac chip which is used in C200 the sabre ESS9018K2M is famous for its transparency and the airy sound that provides, thus resulting in more space and air between instruments and a more open sound which in its way benefits the whole soundstage preception.....Maybe i guess that C10 being more congested and not difused sounding results in a more coherent sounding source with more accurate definition of its instrument....The dac chip which is used on C10 is the same that Fiio has used on X3ii & X5ii (both very precise accurate sounding daps highly appreciated from the audio community as well)
Finally having heard a bounch of daps lately... i can confirm that in terms of clarity and brightness C200 outperforms lots of them...
If anyone prefers a bright,midforwarded,open wide sound, with extra emphasis on the vocal performance then C200 is TOTALLY RECOMMENDED...:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
Can you compare c200 to xduoo x3?

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #126 of 166
Can you compare c200 to xduoo x3?
Sorry.....Haven't heard of xduoo x3 BUT......
20171225_103829.jpg

If you find this screen bright.....
Then be sure that the sound is even more bright than this.......
Actually its the most bright-vivid-alive sound i have ever heard in my life (owning as well fiiox1 - x3ii,DX80,Colorfly C3 and sansa plus.....)
- The whole frequency sprectrum is represented and accuretally reproduced whith a unheard vividness ....a sense of concert hall - like experience that surprises any first listener.....ch
But the most positive aspect of listening on C200 is by far the way that vocals are represented with such amazing clarity and intimacy that erases emotions out of nowhere......Obviusly the tunning of C200 is master class and this mid forward sound signature benefits the most acoustic performances as well as classic rock/pop songs...
- The possitioning of each instrument is another chapter by itself here....Each note echoes in a delightfull manner out side of the listener's head ....offering a headroom never to be noticed before.....
- Tones of air flows harmonically between instruments and vocals giving a totally transparent preception of the overall soundstage......
- The detail retrieval is of class A as well....
i would never regret the purchase of C200.....Contrary i consider my self most lucky to take part on this most delightfull musical experience that only companies such as COLORFLY can provide with their customers....
You are welcome to jump on the C200 train man,,,,,,,:beerchug::beyersmile:

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #128 of 166
So from what I'm reading this player was cut off from updates before it was fixed completely. Guess that's why It's selling for $99 consistently on eBay now. C10 is better option?
Actually, no. The C10 also stopped receiving updates before it's software was fixed completely. It still has song cutoff on the beginning of songs, and cannot work as a DAC with your computer.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #129 of 166
So from what I'm reading this player was cut off from updates before it was fixed completely. Guess that's why It's selling for $99 consistently on eBay now. C10 is better option?
No it is not.....
Trust this one....
The overall sound that C200 is able to produce is beyond your imaginarion for sure...
Sound wise at least is a miraculous dap open...airy....wide...concert like experience...

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #130 of 166
OK.......

Well, I recently bought a pair of Etymotic ER4 XR. I haven't touched the C200 in the last few months. I was curious how the C200 sounds with the ER4s so I pull it out of the drawer. Well I have to hold my hands up and say the C200 sound rather great with the ER4s (the XR version has slightly emphasised bass responds rather than the usual Ety flat responds.) And well coupled with my old trusty C&C BH amp it sounds simply fantastic. The added bonus of using an amp is it reduces the cut-offs.

My unit still has the freeze up problem though. But I found that it seems to relate to a power issue. Whenever it happens, I would then either plug in a USB cable to AC or a powerbank to charge. It never seems to happen again when there is a power supply through the USB port. Otherwise, sometimes the screen even goes blank when I select a song to play even though the battery indicator shows 80 percent charged. I don't know what's at fault but that's what I have found with my unit.

Anyway, I have been listening to the ER4XR+C200+C&C(boosting slightly both high and low ends) combo for the last few days and simply can't put it down. I really like the airy sound like you described.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #131 of 166
Do you confirm me this is the last official firmware update for C200?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #133 of 166
Btw, still don't get how accurate is the equation that, in terms of SQ:

C4 > C10 > C200

And if Shozy Alien plus > C10

Thanks for feedback :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back